Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 AM   #301
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by everalm View Post
The Security lock issue really HAS to be fixed as neither through the ADB path or the Android settings APK path for password setting stick on the Max. Whilst for some individuals this may not seem an issue, it means that enterprise take up of the Max will be stymied and the potential loss of intellectual property or personal data is unacceptable in this day and age.
Simply use ReLaunchX https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284418

Reboot after installation and set "Use as default app". The only small security issue which is left is that for a second your last visited directory appears on the screen before it is overdrawn by the lock screen upon boot. Someone can see the files you have in that directory but cannot interact with them.

And don't forget to disable usb debugging if you want to really seal access to your device.

Last edited by plusz; 02-23-2018 at 07:17 AM.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #302
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Simply use ReLaunchX https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284418

Reboot after installation and set "Use as default app". The only small security issue which is left is that for a second your last visited directory appears on the screen before it is overdrawn by the lock screen upon boot. Someone can see the files you have in that directory but cannot interact with them.

And don't forget to disable usb debugging if you want to really seal access to your device.
That is not a serious lock screen. I use it - to keep someone who stumbles accidentally on my device from seeing sensitive information - but a simple reboot removes the lock, since, as pointed out, ReLaunchX does not autostart on reboot...
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #303
drjww
drjww began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomdes View Post
The display works fine as a second monitor with mac book and osx 10.10.5 Yosemite
I am running a MacBook Pro 2017 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 and have had problems using the HDMI.

At first I could barely get the picture to show up at all. It turned out that the Max2 shipped with a bad HDMI cable. I replaced that one, and now I can get a picture, but it flashes a refresh every few seconds.

I cannot tell with this is a problem with the Max2 or the MacBook. I know MacBooks have had some issues with flickering on external monitors, though I haven't had this particular problem with my ASUS external monitor.

Any suggestions? Thanks all.
drjww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #304
everalm
everalm began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max Boox 2
@plusz

Thanks for the response however as @drjww points out the inability/blocking of restart on reboot for applications is (one) of the issues.

This is what is frustrating about the Max2 for me, it is, in so many ways, ALMOST there.

The irritating piece being the bastardised implementation of Android that has been specifically built when there is little need for it. I understand that the skinning done has
been optimised for the specific Onyx PDF and note/write processes however it doesn't seem to have been thought through fully.

This has mass potential for any firm that uses masses of papers, drawings, legal briefs, blueprints and so forth. By not having even the more basic of security available almost no organisation will want to touch this due to potential legal, regulatory and liability issues.
everalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #305
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
This has mass potential for any firm that uses masses of papers, drawings, legal briefs, blueprints and so forth. By not having even the more basic of security available almost no organisation will want to touch this due to potential legal, regulatory and liability issues.
Right, but there is time: first the screen must fall from its 450$ cost to the assembler (cost which reportedly was 600$ one year ago).

Last edited by mdp; 02-23-2018 at 12:36 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #306
everalm
everalm began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max Boox 2
@MDP

Organisations don't really care if something like this costs £700 ea, off the top of my head couple of reasons

1. The cost is amortised over a 3 year period
2. The savings associated with reduction in print costs
3. Ability to perform on site, near real time updates be it blueprints, case write ups, client notes etc
4. Ability to build effective version management and control into said updates

Just on those 4 use cases alone an org could effectively pay for the nominal cap-ex in a man month alone via personnel time savings

If the HDMI output to a monitor/display could work then using the Max 2 as a sketch and workflow whiteboard would pay for itself in a couple of hours for professional services orgs that charge by the day.......

BUT, no security, no workie......
everalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #307
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Organisations don't really care if something like this costs £700 ea, off the top of my head couple of reasons

1. The cost is amortised over a 3 year period
2. The savings associated with reduction in print costs
3. Ability to perform on site, near real time updates be it blueprints, case write ups, client notes etc
4. Ability to build effective version management and control into said updates

Just on those 4 use cases alone an org could effectively pay for the nominal cap-ex in a man month alone via personnel time savings
Not only I agree with you: I tried that already five years ago.
But there is at least a further factor, against: friction.
And to win friction, all the wrinkles must disappear that make consolidated processes appear better.
One example of what is needed for corporate adoption: a flawless, quick, print-to-device process. I understand, again randomly picking, that Onyx' export of annotations is still not flawless?
(What I tried years ago in the business context failed because the product had a few flaws, e.g. bad ghosting. The producing company then switched to LCD.)
I am an early adopter oftentimes, but in an Organization you exercise extra care (it depends on the Organization really). That the cost is mature is an instance of the maturity of the whole product.

EDIT: and in fact, you mention «via personnel time savings» as the cost justification.
The sought approach is evident: where I work, also because of a very marked conservative tendency, it would be much more probable to see everyone given an iPad ("Nobody was ever fired for buying Apple in the Tens").

Last edited by mdp; 02-23-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #308
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
@plusz
I did install the Bitdefender antivirus and it works just fine. No perceivable delay to processes.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #309
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjee View Post
That is not a serious lock screen. I use it - to keep someone who stumbles accidentally on my device from seeing sensitive information - but a simple reboot removes the lock, since, as pointed out, ReLaunchX does not autostart on reboot...
Quote:
@plusz
Thanks for the response however as @drjww points out the inability/blocking of restart on reboot for applications is (one) of the issues.

This is what is frustrating about the Max2 for me, it is, in so many ways, ALMOST there.
Hey, I really share your feelings that's why I added the lock screen to ReLaunchX.

ReLaunchX has Android launcher capability and most people use it that way. Onyx crippled many internals of Android but not removed the ability to set custom default launcher. As I have already said when you install it after reboot Max and Max2 will ask you which launcher to use, select ReLaunchX "use as default" and since then until you uninstall ReLaunchX the Android will unconditionally start ReLaunchX upon boot - that way the lock screen is ALWAYS PRESENT upon boot if you set lock password in ReLaunchX. Hope that helps. Don't tell me I need to make a video tutorial about it
Old 02-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #310
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Hey, I really share your feelings that's why I added the lock screen to ReLaunchX.

ReLaunchX has Android launcher capability and most people use it that way. Onyx crippled many internals of Android but not removed the ability to set custom default launcher. As I have already said when you install it after reboot Max and Max2 will ask you which launcher to use, select ReLaunchX "use as default" and since then until you uninstall ReLaunchX the Android will unconditionally start ReLaunchX upon boot - that way the lock screen is ALWAYS PRESENT upon boot if you set lock password in ReLaunchX. Hope that helps. Don't tell me I need to make a video tutorial about it
Hej,
that makes totally sense- I am sorry, I didn't mean to be derogative over the app/launcher. But with the processor power of the Max2, I found for myself that the lightweight android launchers offer more comfort for my daily use - like being able to have a calendar widget on display etc. (I use Nova Launcher, after having tried several). That is why I am not able to use the RelaunchX's lock function as it was intended (and then obviously, works).

Best,
Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #311
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjee View Post
Hej,
that makes totally sense- I am sorry, I didn't mean to be derogative over the app/launcher. But with the processor power of the Max2, I found for myself that the lightweight android launchers offer more comfort for my daily use - like being able to have a calendar widget on display etc. (I use Nova Launcher, after having tried several). That is why I am not able to use the RelaunchX's lock function as it was intended (and then obviously, works).

Best,
Jan
You're welcome. Obviously I wish Onyx released a full capability tablet firmware, just with their custom launcher and the reader app. That would be the win-win situation.

Their launcher is quite nice at first look but the storage browsing is unbearable which makes it useless for professional use. It's only fine if you read one book at a time from start to finish.

Onyx seems to listen to the users voice online - they added the touch capability, added the HDMI input... What's wrong with the software department, why oh why they seem not to listen
Old 02-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #312
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
You're welcome.
> Thank you!

As I just checked info about the product, RelaunchX, I hard so much about and kept in queue, and immediatly I find out that you are the author/maintainer. Kudos!
Allow me to add a link to the specific thread here, for reference:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284418
I will try it in production ASAP.

By the way: where to download the latest APK? On F-droid?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #313
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
By the way: where to download the latest APK? On F-droid?
I'm sure you already know the answer since you posted the link to the thread. F-Droid has some internal regression bugs and does not build recently...
Old 02-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #314
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I'm sure you already know the answer since you posted the link to the thread. F-Droid has some internal regression bugs and does not build recently...
Ok: you update the first post with the stable ones. It's good to know what source is most reliable.

EDIT: actually, in the post you stated the opposite ; )
Quote:
I'm not going to keep the attachment up-to-date. You should always check F-Droid first for the latest version.
I guess it will be: "the most recent between 2.1.2 and the one that will eventually happen to be on F-Droid"

Last edited by mdp; 02-26-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:31 AM   #315
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
EDIT: actually, in the post you stated the opposite ; )
I see, it's confusing. I added latest build to the post as people asked for it but I rather hope it is a temporary solution.

The best way is to download the sources and build yourself. Likewise to find the latest version just look at the changelog and/or release tags on github.