Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #31
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Also, I'm seeing a $309 price tag, not $289. What's up with that? Oh wait, that's the advertisements, right?
Yeah, and I see $219 now for the Voyage. WTF?? I was expecting a price drop!

I can't see what Amazon is trying to do here. Shrink the e-ink reader market further???
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Yep, that was from the random guessing anticipation thread.

It meandered a bit but I think we ended up thinking it would be waterproof, solar powered and taste of tuna. So, basically, wrong on at least two out of three.
...you mean it tastes like tuna
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #33
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
You're looking at the Wifi+3g version, try the Wifi only.

ETA: reply to DreamWriter.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #34
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That changes everything
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #35
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yeah, and I see $219 now for the Voyage. WTF?? I was expecting a price drop!

I can't see what Amazon is trying to do here. Shrink the e-ink reader market further???
Or push everyone towards tablets, or Kobo. Who knows, I think they have lost their minds
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #36
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
And $399.99 in Canada. Ouch.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #37
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I must admit to a lot of disappointment. The battery life is 8 weeks with cover on. No mention of what the battery life is without the cover.

It is lighter than a voyage with cover, and with more battery life. But that and the extra LEDs seems to be almost all it has going for it.

No adaptive lighting. £100 more than the Voyage, or £60 more if you buy the official Amazon Voyage cover.

Not for me.
Unless I am missing something the unit weighs 4.6oz for wifi and add 3.8 oz for the cover. That's heavier than the Voyage which is 6.3 oz.
Drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #38
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well, until someone has it in their hands, or perhaps teeth, it can't be ruled out is all I'm saying.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #39
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I think the Paperwhite was too popular, so to increase sales of the Voyage they have released the Oasis Seriously, the Voyage now looks really good value in comparison. But if it tastes like tuna, all bets are off
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #40
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I find it interesting that the Voyage appears to be staying in the line up. I had assumed that the Oasis would replace the Voyage, but this does not appear to be the case. Might make it harder to get the Oasis to sell.

It will be interesting to hear more about the quality level of the case. Doubt it will be as good as the limited edition leather case for the Voyage. Also, not having a built in stand detracts from the Oasis. Will be interesting to see if 3rd parties will be able to justify making cases for it.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #41
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
Paperwhite, Voyage and Oasis have the same display tech, it's the other details that consumers will use in making their buying decision.
Isn't the voyage's screen closer to the glass and not as sunken in as the paperwhite? I'm guessing the oasis would have the same screen as the voyage.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Me too. In the U.S., I'm seeing the price on the product page for the Kindle Oasis with Leather Charging Cover - Black, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi), Wi-Fi as $309.99. Is anyone actually seeing $289.99?
I am -- $289.99

Kindle Oasis
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #43
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I wonder how well the buttons work? I actually like the "pagepress" of the Voyage and it makes the whole front of the device flush. On the Oasis, the buttons are raised up...wonder if they make an annoying mouse click each time you hit them?

I will keep my Voyage. I an interested in the design (off center weight and smaller size) but don't like being forced into the cover. Maybe Voyage 2 or Oasis Lite will give the option of NOT buying the cover.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #44
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Well, until someone has it in their hands, or perhaps teeth, it can't be ruled out is all I'm saying.
I typically agree with this statement, but this is one ugly design that I do not think I will ever adjust to.
Drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #45
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The first Kindle to include a cover in the base price.
The very first Kindle included a cover. It was a very weird and crappy cover, (IMHO) but it was a cover.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote