Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
Luigi635
Luigi635 began at the beginning.

Device: Calbire
Word To MOBI Blank Pages & Extra TOC; AZW3?

Hello everyone

I’m finally getting a pretty decent looking first book finished on Calibre. However, I still have a couple of problems I am hoping someone can offer suggestions on

1) A couple of blank pages keep cropping up which I can’t figure out how to eliminate

2) I did the layout in MS Word 2003 with a functioning TOC. I saved it as a filtered htm file and converted it to MOBI on Calibre, specifying Force TOC. The MOBI TOC looks good and works fine, but I get a second TOC at the end of the book which, besides not making any sense, doesn’t look as good at the TOC at the beginning

I thought the problem might be checking Force TOC when I already had one in the Word doc, but if I don’t check Force TOC, I don’t get any TOC in the MOBI output

3) If I can fix these two problems I would be ready to submit to KDP, but I have heard that the KDP output does not always look as good as the input. Any suggestions to help insure a nice looking finished product on KDP would be appreciated

Or is AZW3 a better way to submit to KDP?

Thanks much in advance for any replies
Luigi635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:20 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you intend to submit to amazon, the best way is to convert to EPUB and submit that, amazon sometimes throws a hissy fit if you send it MOBI files not created using its own software. Or if you want more control, convert to EPUB and then convert that to MOBI using kindlegen (from amazon).

If your book does not have sophisticated typesetting needs, things should just work. If it does then you will likely be in for a fair bit of back and forth.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:35 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Convert to ePub, clean up the ePub and then you can use the ePub as your source.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
"1) A couple of blank pages keep cropping up which I can’t figure out how to eliminate"

Blank pages will occur when you have a code for a linespace at the end of a page or at the beginning of a page (usually when using   or when there is a _pb code in one of these lines). Delete those codes, and the blank pages will disappear.

"2) I did the layout in MS Word 2003 with a functioning TOC. I saved it as a filtered htm file and converted it to MOBI on Calibre, specifying Force TOC. The MOBI TOC looks good and works fine, but I get a second TOC at the end of the book which, besides not making any sense, doesn’t look as good at the TOC at the beginning"

Just delete the ToC file that you don't want. Highlight the file in the list of files, left-click it three times, and then press the Delete key.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Don't use a blank paragraph, you see what happens

Use a First paragraph (bigger margin-top) to start the next scene. A tiny extra top space is less noticeable if it lands at the top of a filled screen.
I avoid margin:bottom values above 0 because of the blank page or tripping Widows and Orphans (forces last line to next screen because there was not enough room for the bottom margin)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Don't use a blank paragraph, you see what happens

Use a First paragraph (bigger margin-top) to start the next scene. A tiny extra top space is less noticeable if it lands at the top of a filled screen.
I avoid margin:bottom values above 0 because of the blank page or tripping Widows and Orphans (forces last line to next screen because there was not enough room for the bottom margin)
Actually, the best way to do blank space for a scene break is to use padding-top instead of margin-top. The padding works better when the break is at the end/beginning of a screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the best way to do blank space for a scene break is to use padding-top instead of margin-top. The padding works better when the break is at the end/beginning of a screen.
I use padding right + left to get around my K4 ignoring some of these.
(no really a best practice )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blank pages, double toc