Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #376
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 15,108
Karma: 24708566
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
calibre has a function that can be used by plugins to do this automatically.

The normalize function in calibre.ebooks uses unicodedata.normalize('NFC') to convert unicode characters to a normalized form.
A simple enough fix, but I don't see it in use in any of the other metadata source plugins. And the only place I can see it used for titles (either directly or indirectly through the normalize function or other similar) is when writing metadata to some formats. But, it's probably not an unreasonable thing to do here.

So, attached is a beta that seems to work. It is a little different to BeckyEbook' suggestion as there are two places I think it is needed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Goodreads-beta.zip (21.9 KB, 59 views)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #377
Dzib
Member
Dzib began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 19
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks a lot ����
Dzib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 09:42 PM   #378
Penny_Dreadful
Enthusiast
Penny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud of
 
Penny_Dreadful's Avatar
 
Posts: 39
Karma: 27856
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Device: Kindle PW, Kindle PW3 (G090G1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botmtl View Post
Sorry about that, I was sure the plugin changes were solid but I didn't pay enough attention to the config side. It's fixed now. My section of the configuration is now saved in another file entirely - it's safer for people just wanting to try out the changes if I don't mess at all with the plugin's existing config file at all.

I also saw that downloading through github is problematic because the download zip function doesn't create a valid plugin (the base folder has to be removed), so I'll just put up this link instead: goodreads.zip

botmtl, I'm so sorry I meant to reply to you ages ago but it slipped my mind, I've been using your version of this plug-in since August and it's been perfect, it shortens my add book workflow massively! Thank you.
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #379
dxcore35
Junior Member
dxcore35 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2018
Device: Kindle Voyage
Lightbulb Implement new metadata field

Hi, thank you for all the work on plugin.

Can somebody implement to also extract the quotes if there are any?
  • (DONE) extract top 30 quotes (see script here https://github.com/mon95/Goodreads-Quotes-Extractor)
  • (TODO) implement this feature into plugin
  • (TODO) automatically add custom column with name "Quotes", with html view property set (this is really optional)
  • (TODO) add the extracted quotes into this column

For somebody who is already familiar with the code this should be not a problem.

for the time & effort!
dxcore35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #380
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 15,108
Karma: 24708566
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxcore35 View Post
Hi, thank you for all the work on plugin.

Can somebody implement to also extract the quotes if there are any?
  • (DONE) extract top 30 quotes (see script here https://github.com/mon95/Goodreads-Quotes-Extractor)
  • (TODO) implement this feature into plugin
  • (TODO) automatically add custom column with name "Quotes", with html view property set (this is really optional)
  • (TODO) add the extracted quotes into this column

For somebody who is already familiar with the code this should be not a problem.

for the time & effort!
Sorry, that is completely beyond the capabilities of a metadata source plugin. These plugins are limited to updating core metadata only and cannot update custom columns. Plus I think fetching this type of information is not a good fit for the plugin. I think this should be a separate plugin. I suggest making a post in the plugins suggestion thread. Maybe it will attract the attention of someone who is interested in doing this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2018, 03:41 AM   #381
dxcore35
Junior Member
dxcore35 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2018
Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, that is completely beyond the capabilities of a metadata source plugin. These plugins are limited to updating core metadata only and cannot update custom columns. Plus I think fetching this type of information is not a good fit for the plugin. I think this should be a separate plugin. I suggest making a post in the plugins suggestion thread. Maybe it will attract the attention of someone who is interested in doing this.
That is the point of innovation, to expand capabilities of existing system / software.

The script with functionality is actually 100% finished. Somebody familiar just need to just add function and call the code from correct line in the goodread plugin code and then minor action just add new text field into existing GUI (name of custom field).

* I think that the calibre do not handle the main fields in different way as those which are custom.

I do not see the point to create another plugin just for this. It is actually hard to find functioning version of goodread plugin, it will be to even harder find both plugins.... Let's wait for some other feedback from somebody who is familiar with the code, before creating new single purpose plugin.
dxcore35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #382
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 15,108
Karma: 24708566
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxcore35 View Post
That is the point of innovation, to expand capabilities of existing system / software.

The script with functionality is actually 100% finished. Somebody familiar just need to just add function and call the code from correct line in the goodread plugin code and then minor action just add new text field into existing GUI (name of custom field).

* I think that the calibre do not handle the main fields in different way as those which are custom.

I do not see the point to create another plugin just for this. It is actually hard to find functioning version of goodread plugin, it will be to even harder find both plugins.... Let's wait for some other feedback from somebody who is familiar with the code, before creating new single purpose plugin.
If you look back through this thread, you will see that I am the person who has been maintaining this plugin for a while. And if you look around a bit more you will see that I am maintaining other metadata source plugins and several other plugins. I'd like to think I understand the code.

When I stated that this was beyond the capabilities of metadata source plugins, I stated that because it is a fact. The metadata source plugins are supported by a framework in calibre. This only supports the main metadata columns and explicitly does not support custom columns. This is the design of how metadata source plugins work. The question of updating custom columns from metadata source plugins has been raised plenty of times in this forum and the answer has always been that it is not possible.

I also do not feel that what you are asking for fits in with the concept of a metadata source plugin. I don't really think the quotes are metadata. And for most people a link to that page would be enough.

Lastly, I don't know why you think finding a function version of the Goodreads plugin is hard. It is posted at the beginning of this thread. The calibre plugin installer will list it ready for you to install.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #383
dxcore35
Junior Member
dxcore35 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2018
Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you look back through this thread, you will see that I am the person who....

When I stated that this was beyond the capabilities of metadata source plugins, I stated that because it is a fact. The metadata source...

I also do not feel that what you are asking for fits in with the concept of a metadata source plugin...

Lastly, I don't know why you think finding a function version of the Goodreads plugin is hard. It is posted....
Yes a made 0 research, sorry for that. As you explain that source metadata are directly supported by framework now I completely understand why it is not fit for the plugin.

In the past I had some issues with not properly working goodreads and scrolling thou thread to find some fixed version, but it looks like now it is just an history. Anyway I'm using your beta and for english tiles everything works smoothly.

I suggested this functionality for X-ray plugin, but I think you have seen my post, because you are active also there! Let me say thank you for the time spending on this amazing calibre plugins! And sorry for not making a research beforehand.
dxcore35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #384
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 15,108
Karma: 24708566
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxcore35 View Post
Yes a made 0 research, sorry for that. As you explain that source metadata are directly supported by framework now I completely understand why it is not fit for the plugin.

In the past I had some issues with not properly working goodreads and scrolling thou thread to find some fixed version, but it looks like now it is just an history. Anyway I'm using your beta and for english tiles everything works smoothly.
You shouldn't be using the beta. The change in the last beta for this plugin was released on 20/12/2017.
Quote:
I suggested this functionality for X-ray plugin, but I think you have seen my post, because you are active also there! Let me say thank you for the time spending on this amazing calibre plugins! And sorry for not making a research beforehand.
Yes, I can see what you want as part of the X-ray data. But, I don't use a Kindle, so it isn't anything I can use.

Last edited by davidfor; 03-19-2018 at 08:57 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 PM   #385
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!
 
Posts: 134
Karma: 50288
Join Date: Feb 2009
Device: KK 3G, iPad
This might be a calibre thing, not a goodreads metadata thing...

I have my metadata well populated with Amazon data and Amazon IDs. I was testing adding Goodreads ratings and tags (only). The Goodreads ID was written too, and the Amazon ID was lost.

I really need to keep the Amazon ID. Is this possible?
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:00 AM   #386
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 15,108
Karma: 24708566
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
This might be a calibre thing, not a goodreads metadata thing...

I have my metadata well populated with Amazon data and Amazon IDs. I was testing adding Goodreads ratings and tags (only). The Goodreads ID was written too, and the Amazon ID was lost.

I really need to keep the Amazon ID. Is this possible?
That shouldn't be happening. Existing identifiers for other sites shouldn't be affected when you fetch metadata from one site. I'm fairly sure it doesn't happen here, but I don't use the Amazon ID much, so I might not notice if it disappeared. I'll try and test tonight to check.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #387
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!
 
Posts: 134
Karma: 50288
Join Date: Feb 2009
Device: KK 3G, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That shouldn't be happening. Existing identifiers for other sites shouldn't be affected when you fetch metadata from one site. I'm fairly sure it doesn't happen here, but I don't use the Amazon ID much, so I might not notice if it disappeared. I'll try and test tonight to check.
It appears I was mistaken. It's working now. Sorry.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #388
Elarwen
Junior Member
Elarwen began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2018
Device: none
Goodreads plugin not returning data

I've had an issue today with the metadata plugin not returning data from goodreads for the majority of newly added books.
Elarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #389
Elarwen
Junior Member
Elarwen began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2018
Device: none
Goodreads plugin not returning data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarwen View Post
I've had an issue today with the metadata plugin not returning data from goodreads for the majority of newly added books.
Error from the log:
****************************** Goodreads (1, 1, 13) ******************************
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 2.91700005531
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=Who+Moved+My+Goat+Cheese%3F+Lynn+Cahoon
no isbn
response:
Plugin Goodreads failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\identify. py", line 48, in run
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.__init__", line 158, in identify
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.__init__", line 218, in _parse_search_results
IndexError: list index out of range

************************************************** ******************************
Elarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #390
txweathermom
Junior Member
txweathermom began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2015
Device: nook
Goodreads plugin not returning data

I'm having the same issue and get the same response. Tried uninstalling and then instaling again. Doesn't help.

Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 1.14900016785
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=Name+All+the+Animals+Alison+Smith
no isbn
response: <Element html at 0x7f42f60>
Plugin Goodreads failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\identify. py", line 48, in run
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.__init__", line 158, in identify
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads.__init__", line 218, in _parse_search_results
IndexError: list index out of range

Last edited by txweathermom; 04-14-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: no title
txweathermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
goodreads, metadata

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[GUI Plugin] Goodreads Sync kiwidude Plugins 1155 08-26-2018 08:14 PM
[Metadata Download Plugin] Goodreads Metadata **Deprecated** kiwidude Plugins 30 04-23-2011 02:10 PM
[Covers Plugin] Goodreads Covers **Deprecated** kiwidude Plugins 13 04-17-2011 05:09 PM
metadata plugin redneck_momma Plugins 1 05-21-2010 08:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.