Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #31
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
skb, take what you can get. Any forward progress you make has to be counted as a worthwhile. (IOW: Think positive! )

All, don't forget to have some fun. It can't be all about the word count. Good luck.
I'm having fun. It's just that my WIP stories are increasing rather than decreasing. I'm treating the "required" stories with serious ignore though because I know that I'll get bogged down trying to come up with an angle that makes them interesting, i.e. without just being a setup for the next ones... That made sense in my head - and goes to explain why I have a hard time getting anything finished.

Actually, for me, it isn't about word count completely. I really want to actually finish some of these puppies. Some have been on the computer for eleven years.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
skb: I'm with you all the way re the need to finish something. I'm working on a novel which has been around for ages. I only managed 731 words today, but that doesn't matter. I'm not aiming for 50k anyway. Just want this thing finished (I'm estimating it'll take around 30k unless more points of conflict enter my crazy imagination.)

Good luck. Have fun.

Last edited by BookCat; 11-03-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #33
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Good to know you're both making progress, skb and BookCat.

I'm falling behind on the word count, with just 1,165 written in the first 3 days, but I made some good progress with figuring out the plot yesterday. At least now I can summarise how I get from the opening to the end. Today's task is to take those turning points and flesh out my outline with specific scenes.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #34
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm still at the start gate. Been busy offline with things. Do have a partial beat sheet done anyway and some character backstories.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #35
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been procrastinating like crazy. Don't want to write the next scene, thought about skipping it and going on to the one afterwards, but really need to know exactly what happens, just in case some crazy inspiration hits me during the writing.
I hate first drafts.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:03 AM   #36
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had to have a rethink at 5,100 words into the novel. It's just not going to work with this protagonist and the various arcs I've got at the moment. Rather than churn out another 75,000 words heading down the wrong path I need to pull away and figure out a) if there is a workable novel here, and b) if I should return to an earlier version of the idea with a different protagonist and variation on the story.

So, I've switched back to plan B and am aiming for 50,000 words of short stories and screenplays during November. But I'm way behind.

Graham
Old 11-09-2018, 05:24 AM   #37
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. How will our valiant heroes survive their current predicament, friends? ...<insert theme music>... Stay tuned for the next instalment of Are you doing Nano?

Just joshin' folks, thinking I have all the suspense and intrigue I need, right here, to write a 50k story.

Seriously, fingers crossed and thinking of you all.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:37 AM   #38
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. How will our valiant heroes survive their current predicament, friends? ...<insert theme music>... Stay tuned for the next instalment of Are you doing Nano?

Just joshin' folks, thinking I have all the suspense and intrigue I need, right here, to write a 50k story.

Seriously, fingers crossed and thinking of you all.
LOL.

We've had better years!

Graham
Old 11-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #39
Graham
Wizard

Just checking in to see how you're all doing. I'm still some way behind the curve, but I am catching up. I'm at 28,139 words, with 8 days to go from tomorrow, so I'll need to keep achieving about 2,750 words a day, which is doable.

Here's my NaNoWriMo tracking graph to give you a glimpse into my state of mind:

Spoiler:

I've been a rebel. I counted the first two chapters of the novel, which I still plan to use one day, and have done a couple of short stories. But the main chunk of my writing has been on a work of interactive fiction. I'm not coding it up at this stage, just writing the script. And I'm mainly sticking to the main throughline, so it's a bit like writing a novel. I'll fill in the alternate paths later on.

Graham
Old 11-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #40
BookCat
C L J

Well done everyone who has been able to keep up with this year's nano, or at least write everyday. I became ill and so far behind that I gave up! I'll continue with this blasted novel soon.

All the best!
Old 11-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #41
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Well done everyone who has been able to keep up with this year's nano, or at least write everyday. I became ill and so far behind that I gave up! I'll continue with this blasted novel soon.

All the best!
Oh, sorry to hear that, BookCat.

Hope you're feeling better now.

Graham
Old 11-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #42
BookCat
C L J

Thanks Graham, I'm recovering slowly.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #43
Graham
Wizard

Yay, I just got over the 50k bar, with a day to spare.

Spoiler:

No novel, but I have written a large chunk of interactive fiction and three short stories.

Again, I've had loads of spare time to do this. I am in awe of anyone who achieves it while holding down a full time job!

Graham
Old 11-29-2018, 07:19 PM   #44
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Or maybe you should be in awe of their employers for not watching closely enough to notice their employees are spending all day writing

Congratulations, Graham.

Commiserations, BookCat. I hope you're starting to feel better ... better luck next year.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #45
BookCat
C L J

Congratulations, Graham. That's a lovely curve after day 15. You really went for it.

Tags
attitude, nanowrimo, november