Notices

Old 09-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner
FDPuthuff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Cool eBook Formatting in Sigil

Good Morning Y’all,

I am using Sigil as my application for formatting manuscripts into eBook type files. I have some how-to questions specific to Sigil. Is there a specific area, in these forums, for these types of questions, or is there a better place to learn about what all Sigil can do and how to do things?
FDPuthuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDPuthuff View Post
Good Morning Y’all,

I am using Sigil as my application for formatting manuscripts into eBook type files. I have some how-to questions specific to Sigil. Is there a specific area, in these forums, for these types of questions, or is there a better place to learn about what all Sigil can do and how to do things?

Yes, to your question.

Here is the Sigil forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=203

And here is the main list of all forums:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You're in the right place. Shoot?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner

Cool TOC Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
You're in the right place. Shoot?
I am using Sigil on an iMac.

My current quest is to figure out how to make the TOC in my ePUB file. Specifically, the TOC reached by the drop-down menu. Not the one like at the front of the book.

Can you tell I am also fighting terminology?

Next questions will have to do with:
  • Setting up my Clips
  • Making the Cover
  • Metadata
  • etc...
Old 09-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sigil is an EPUB editing (code) tool. By that, I mean it maintains the required structure and other attribute that are common to EPUB.

OTOH (general) Formatting is usually done with a WYSIWYG Creation tool.

Sigil is great for CSS touchup, inserting Images, Spell checking and TOC creation (from headings).
It includes a synchronized Preview (no longer has the ability to type into that view), with a code inspector (what the heck code is making that section look like a ? ) if you need to unravel a cascaded style blooper.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sigil is an EPUB editing (code) tool.

Sigil is great for CSS touchup, inserting Images, Spell checking and TOC creation (from headings)...

Cool. Where might I find a good "How-To" for TOC creation within Sigil?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
There is a users-guide which is a bit out of date but does cover the basics quite well.
It can be found on our github site here:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...019.09.03.epub
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alternatively, you can create a Table of Contents from the current headings tags (h1-h6) that you may have set in your xhtml using the TableOfContents tools (see menus or icons).
Old 09-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
There is a users-guide which is a bit out of date but does cover the basics quite well.
It can be found on our github site here:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...019.09.03.epub

Thanx. With a quick Google search I figured out what I was missing. The TOC creator will not do anything if you do not have any Header tags. (I believe that's what they are called. <H1> - <H7>)

Once I stuck some of those in, everything else started to click.

Thank you.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner

Cool

Quote:
Alternatively, you can create a Table of Contents from the current headings tags (h1-h6) that you may have set in your xhtml using the TableOfContents tools (see menus or icons).
Yes. I didn't have any heading tags, so the TOC creator was not finding anything to work with.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Using proper tags for headings is important for Accessibility users and for defining structure.
So your first task will be to add in those tags using either the GUI or Find & Replace if you can determine how the equivalent to the headings are being done.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-23-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

What was the original source of the xhtml? If Word, you may be better off using a conversion program from Word to epub as a better starting point.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #13
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner

Cool

Quote:
What was the original source of the xhtml? If Word, you may be better off using a conversion program from Word to epub as a better starting point.
This is not an issue in my work-flow. I have very specific code that I use in order for my files usable in the most arcane eBooks, so the conversion programs really make more work for me than necessary.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #14
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If your source is a Word document, consistent use of text styles and layout features - e.g. centring an item with the correct function, not by padding with spaces - will result in a DOCX file that translates seamlessly into EPUB. (Consider using Calibre rather that Sigil for the initial conversion. Tool for the job.)

It's exactly like music production. People like to play sloppy then 'fix it in the mix'. Much better to play it right in the first place!

I'm intrigued by your 'very specific code that I use in order for my files [to be] usable in the most arcane eBooks'. What techniques can you share with us?

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 09-23-2020 at 11:16 AM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #15
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I'm intrigued by your 'very specific code that I use in order for my files [to be] usable in the most arcane eBooks'. What techniques can you share with us?
It is probably something that has been discussed here before, but it is the way I have decided to go, unless / until I learn better. Being new to the formatting community, I have no idea how concerned people are with forgoing color and flashy for making their books usable on most eReaders regardless of how old they are. I know there are varying views on how to do things, so I am following this guy's method to start. I am using Sigil, rather than TextMate, strictly because of Sigil's preview window. I like the immediate feedback as I do stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Zen-eBook-Formatting-Step-step-ebook/dp/B00KJAH4HS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=279OB5VHCN745&dchild=1&keywords=ze n+of+ebook+formatting&qid=1600874262&sprefix=zen+o f+ebook%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1