Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
New Kobo (N604) [Elipsa - ed.]

The new Kobo ereader has Wifi and Bluetooth, and just showed up on the FCC website this morning.

The Digital Reader
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo n604 fcc.jpg
Views:	1286
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	185289  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Yes, Saw some other announcement too.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
There is essentially nothing on the FCC, except for the 32 GB memory and bluetooth. The device will most likely support audiobooks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N604.PNG
Views:	792
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	185291  
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
There is essentially nothing on the FCC, except for the 32 GB memory and bluetooth. The device will most likely support audiobooks.
You don't know that it will support audiobooks. The only source for that idea is 100% unreliable.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You don't know that it will support audiobooks. The only source for that idea is 100% unreliable.
What does the source have to do with it? Suggest your version, seeing that the device comes initially with 32 GB and there is bluetooth ... Why is this done? In my opinion - there will be support for audiobooks. And there it will be seen, I don't really like audiobooks, so I don't care if this support will be available or not.

But I am pleased that Kobo is developing and introducing something new.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
dpoirier
dpoirier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Audiobook support certainly seems like a reasonable hypothesis, given that Kobo has already gotten into the audiobook business, but has no Kobo devices people can listen to them on, and the new device has Bluetooth.
dpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #7
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
What does the source have to do with it? Suggest your version, seeing that the device comes initially with 32 GB and there is bluetooth ... Why is this done? In my opinion - there will be support for audiobooks. And there it will be seen, I don't really like audiobooks, so I don't care if this support will be available or not.
As the device will also be made available as a new (nearly identical) Tolino device and Kobo doesn't have an audiobook offering it's likely a deactivated feature only available for the Tolino version.

EDIT
I just learned that Kobo does have audiobook in the americas. I did not know that.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Bluetooth. I've gotta get this.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #9
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Bluetooth. I've gotta get this.

Bundled or optional.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #10
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Bundled or optional.

No thanks, I've got earbuds.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
For myself, I don't see the appeal of adding bluetooth or audio to an ereader. The bluetooth has to be a bigger battery drain, as would audio. And why would anyone want to listen to an audio book on an ereader when they could just put a tiny mp3 player in their pocket that measures about 1.5"? That's one time I'd consider an ereader unnecessarily bulky.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Keep in mind that this may simply be a case of "you get that for free because it's bundled in the new SoC package".

The FCC/EU/<insert similar bodies for rest of world here> still requires you to *test* the HW, even if the production SW will never use this bit of HW.

(Granted, I *think* we've seen traces of BT-related SW work, but, oh, well ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #13
Elektron
Banned

Any idea what it's going to be called?
Hopefully not another Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
For myself, I don't see the appeal of adding bluetooth or audio to an ereader. The bluetooth has to be a bigger battery drain, as would audio. And why would anyone want to listen to an audio book on an ereader when they could just put a tiny mp3 player in their pocket that measures about 1.5"? That's one time I'd consider an ereader unnecessarily bulky.
I mean, that's true, but for some people, Bluetooth is a great addition.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hopefully bluetooth would allow a bluetooth keyboard, which would allow a remote page turner. This could get me to upgrade my Glo HD.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope this is a new Forma without the light issue as I'm thinking it might be time to get a new Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote