Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
RichardLSanders
RichardLSanders began at the beginning.

New Writer, a few troubles

Hello all,

I have been writing for several years and finally decided to take the plunge into the e-book market. What appealed to me about it was the amount of content control I could have over my material. However, when dealing with the Kindle, I ran into a problem that I hadn't quite anticipated fully.

Background:
I just published a fresh new contemporary fantasy short story called Betraying Nexus on the Kindle. I am convinced that anyone would find it compelling and unique.

Oh what's that? You've never heard of it? Of course you haven't! No one has. And no one will!

Because the Kindle lacks two things I believe essential for newcomers trying to break into the market.

1. The Kindle will not let you publish for free. My prior belief was that by offering my story for free, people would be more inclined to find it and take a chance on it. Unfortunately I have to charge for it, so automatically anything I publish has to compete with professional e-books which are certainly going to be better marketed. (Although mine is cheaper, it still costs).

2. The Kindle (as far as I can tell) has no ability within the Kindle store (on the device itself) to filter the results. e.g. "show recently published" or "sort by price" or "up and coming" etc. You may look at different sets of books by genre, to an extent, but it always, always, always shows you the "best selling" first. (Which perpetuates their position on the best selling list, right?) So if my story is on page 500, I don't see how anyone could ever find it.

Have any of you found ways to circumvent these difficulties and actually create awareness of your writing? I'd appreciate any/all ideas.

Thanks,
Richard
RichardLSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
TrineDaely
Connoisseur
TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Still trying to work around that difficulty myself. You can sort results by price using the drop-down box, but you still end up with a LOT of pages of products at really low prices. The best bet might be to get some friends who buy from Amazon to buy it and others in similar genre to land somewhere on that "People who bought this also bought:" list.
TrineDaely is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
RichardLSanders

Not a bad idea, thanks. I wish you luck. Also, tell me the name of your story. I'll check it out!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
RichardLSanders

PS I just realized that my post sounds angry but I was shooting more for cheesy/melodramatic because I thought it'd be funny. On second thought, it isn't. Oh well.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
TrineDaely
Connoisseur
TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrineDaely ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a collection of my poetry called "Life Games". The urban fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal stories will be along later.
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
TrineDaely
Connoisseur

Oh, that was meant to be cheesy? I thought I smelled sarcasm instead, but maybe that's because I enjoy sarcasm. :P
Old 04-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
TrineDaely
Connoisseur

Richard I grabbed a sample of your book so I can properly add tags to it, that might help.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
There are a few web services that do just that, the trouble is advertising the books once they are on that site and there are some services that will sell your material for the price you want but will charge you $5 per month to do that. Here are some possibilities:

1) B&N has a free book section, trick is to get the company to put yours in that section;
2) free-ebooks.net
3) Project Gutenberg
4) Getfreebooks.com
5) Homestead will do that for you but will charge you $5 a month to do that.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
RichardLSanders

Sounds good. I'm having a little trouble finding yours. "Life Games" is apparently too generic for my kindle and it produces over a hundred pages of results. Maybe if I searched by author name?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
TrineDaely
Connoisseur

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Games-ebook/dp/B004WWQA5G

How would you classify your book? Any specific tags you'd like added?

And thanks jb.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Richard and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ….

You will, I hope have been into the Kindle Forum for all the tips and tricks.

Have you seen the Author Self-Promotion Forum ... and also the Writers' Corner ... Just two of the many gems we have on board ...

ps there is more to 'life' than the kindle .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote