Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2021, 06:53 PM   #29626
paulag
paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Re

Just finished Cadillac Jack by Larry McMurtry. Thanks to some of you I also read Death in the Long Grass and Last Horizons by Capstick. Starting the latest from Stephen King, The Institute
paulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:02 PM   #29627
paulag
paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Finally finished Network Effect by Martha Wells. I was hoping it would be a fun quick read. The first third was good. The last third very good. The middle was a drag. Further bot to human development. More feelings. However, a lot of angst and cursing. More than the previous installments. Honestly, I don't know why secunit even hangs around humans. Rated C+ [3 stars].
I really enjoyed Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy by Martha Wells starting with The Wizard Hunters. Lots of great characters, plenty of snark, fabulous world-building, and whooo lots of action.
paulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #29628
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Star Trek Agents of Influence by Dayton Ward. Now going to read Battle Grounds by Jim Butcher.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #29629
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Currently reading Lingo: Around Europe in 60 Languages by Gaston Dorren. At times annoyingly facile, but I have to give it kudos for being the first 'popsci' linguistics book to explain ergativity in an easy to understand way.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:51 AM   #29630
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My 5 star review of Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen:-

Spoiler:
I don't know what to say about Pride and Prejudice, because I've read so many reviews by readers who adore it. I can't match them in any way.

I can only contribute that the book is deceptively complex, the themes of pride, prejudice, class, family, and marriage playing a big role in shaping this story.

Please excuse my lack of ideas. This novel is the work of a person with such a strong mental fortitude that my words of praise ring hollow to me. Jane Austen humbled me with her perception. She is such a fantastic writer.

This is what happens when you write not to please everybody. Disney take note, you bastard. My first 5 star book of the year.

Last edited by Luffy; 01-21-2021 at 03:21 AM.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #29631
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Strip Jack by Ian Rankin. The 4th in his Rebus novels. (A near-random pick from my TBR, being the next unread in the series.)
Which was very good indeed. I think the series is really getting into its stride now.

The next random pick from my calibre backlog was 1,227 QI Facts. Which I decided to 'discard'. That is, mark it as neither read not unread. Definitely the sort of book that's better as a paperback in the loo.

Next up: All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriott. The third in the omnibuses of his stories. I suspect it'll be good, but not as good as the first two omnibuses.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #29632
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I've been re-reading The Stand. It's been so long I forgot the book. While there are many complaints on the new series by CBS, and I agree the non-linier method of storytelling is a pain, I'm enjoying it. The version I'm reading is the expanded, uncut version. I was a bit hesitant on the length but it's flying by. I'm a little over 20% in and find it fascinating. Some books I read when I was younger, with less patience, will likely resonate better with me now. I could not find my physical copy so assume, since it was so old, it was probably damaged and tossed. I'm reading an ebook version - for this type of keeper book, I'd like to get a copy for the shelves to match the others in my King collection. I am not a fan of the newer covers, so may find an older cover in used and good format, still searching. Also has to be reasonably priced; some aren't!

I am doing the audio of The Women on the Orient Express. Pacing is soft, but it's not bad. It was one of the cheap audio upgrades to 1.99 so I am mainly reading it that way.

Otherwise I'm reading some UF and PNR series, and still working on a cozy mystery that's the second in a series, Design for Murder by Carolyn G. Hart, finishing up the horror Devil's Creek by Todd Kiesling.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #29633
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 2 star review of Berried in the Past (Cranberry Cove #5) by Peg Cochran:-

Spoiler:
I sense that it took quite a modicum of hard work for the author to put up a competent cozy. She has her heart in the right place. However, she still seemed a trifle lost in her endeavor.

The making of her red herrings sometimes went to strange detailed depictions that were never mentioned or addressed again. I sympathise with her. It's not easy to write a good yarn.

I write my review with the impression that my rating or opinion piece won't acutely harm the writer. I wish her the best and I know she has found her audience already. Most of us wannabes never make it that far.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #29634
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I have to re-read The Wheel of Time sometime and finally finish it.
I started reading WoT when it was new (1990). I got halfway through the series and then stopped because I wanted to wait for the series to be complete and then reread from the beginning. 8 years later after the last book was published, I'm finally back at it.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:46 PM   #29635
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikou View Post
I started reading WoT when it was new (1990). I got halfway through the series and then stopped because I wanted to wait for the series to be complete and then reread from the beginning. 8 years later after the last book was published, I'm finally back at it.
I started it around then too and never read Brandon Sanderson’s books that finished it.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #29636
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I plan to start Wheel of Time someday. It's highly recommended, but not something I usually enjoy much, so we'll see. I did read his YA Reckoners series, except for the final, which is on my TBR
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:30 AM   #29637
Luffy
Wizard

Wheel of time is a huge commitment for someone like me who has never read a single book in the series. I get the feeling Wot and I won’t get along.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #29638
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I plan to start Wheel of Time someday.
I actually started to start it then had too many review promises and lost connection to it. I'm going to try again at some point.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #29639
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I've been re-reading The Stand.
Another one I keep hearing is good and want to read, but I don't have a copy yet so it's easy to put off until a good sale comes.

I really need to stop buying books, but I have to get the next one in Guy Donovan's Dragon Treasure series!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #29640
fjdk
fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjdk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roodavis View Post
Alan Lee is a new ePub only Author, so you wont find these books in your public library... If you liked the character development in Robert Parker's Spenser series you will enjoy getting to know Mackenzie August and his side kick Manny, as well as Ronnie, Timothy August and the rest of the characters in Alan Lee's Mackenzie August Mystery series. Plus the second series A Sinatra thriller that feature Manny as the main character. Very entertaining and easy to read.

Available on Kindle only, check him out at: https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/en...SelectorHeader
Thanks for this, I've read the first and almost finished the second...always nice to find a new author! For anyone interested, these are available through kindle unlimited, so if you're working through a trial subscription like me they're free to try.
fjdk is offline   Reply With Quote