Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Exclamation Announced : Kindle Software Update Version 2.5

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680

Here's a list of the coming enhancements:

Collections: Organize your books and documents into one or more collections.

PDF Pan and Zoom: Zoom into PDFs and pan around to easily view small print and detailed tables or graphics.

Password Protection: Password protect your Kindle when you're not using it.

More Fonts & Improved Clarity: Enjoy two new larger font sizes and sharper fonts for an even more comfortable reading experience.

Facebook & Twitter Posts: Share book passages with friends on Facebook and Twitter directly from your Kindle.

Popular Highlights: See what the Kindle community thinks are the most interesting passages in the books you're reading.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I wonder who the lucky group will be that gets the first limited release?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Maybe I need to leave the wireless on for a while to see if I am one of the lucky ones
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I'll need to get the font hack off my Kindle first.

Last edited by NNolan; 04-29-2010 at 06:22 AM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
collections? a fancy word for "Folders" or "directories"?
makes me a little skeptical these fancy words..keeping my fingers crossed for simple folders, the way the whole world knows..

PDF pan/zoom is real good news..

mgmueller..thanks for the breaking news..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Maybe I need to leave the wireless on for a while to see if I am one of the lucky ones
I just turned mine on, and I'll be leaving it that way until the 2.5 arrives. Looks like a Killer update! Collections (sounds like FOLDERS!!!) & PDF Pan and Zoom alone should be worth the price of admission! Password protection? Could be very useful if you're Kindle is nearby nosy people!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-28-2010 at 06:51 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Be nice if they made it available as a download as well so we could load it via USB if we chose not to wait.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Sounds like the "limited release" group is going to be the beta test group.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Hoping Kovid or GRiker will be in the "limited release" group so that they can see whether it's possible for the collections to be managed by calibre!
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
But the Facebook and Twitter integration, and Popular Highlights features! Stuff almost nobody was asking for, but I think it is pretty revolutionary, and really sets Kindle apart in a big way (at least for awhile). It's good to see someone in this space making a move in social networking.

I could care less about Collections (as long as it doesn't get in my way, it's fine I guess...), but what about Cyrillic or Han support? any reason to hope they've added it since they have updated the fonts? Or pan/zoom for viewing DX size images on K2 (or with the hidden image viewer)?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxGirl View Post
Hoping Kovid or GRiker will be in the "limited release" group so that they can see whether it's possible for the collections to be managed by calibre!
Yes, as it is I can't imagine classifying hundreds of books on the Kindle using the crude keyboard and joystick. Which is why I only keep about 40 items on mine (including PDFs and subscriptions, which already have their own item lists)...no need for classifying anything.

I have many questions about what they've done and its ultimate usefulness - if you have to replace your kindle, do you have to classify everything all over again? does it sync to other devices on your account? are the categories mutually exclusive (boo) or not (yay)? If you remove and restore an item, do you have to classify it again? I guess we'll have to wait and see...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Collections (sounds like FOLDERS!!!)
Well, I think they would have said folders if it was folders. I bet it will be a single level set of collections like Sony has... I bet they thought "folders" would be to complicated for people... even though everyone that uses a computer understands folders.

I much would have preferred tags to folders or collections.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Of course, we don't know if "collections" is a hybrid of tags and folders ...

The PDF pan and zoom is a nice-to-have in a pinch to make SOME use of pdf ... but a Kindle 2 really is suited for that format. But, hey, zoom and pan is a plus.

I'm not sure how they get to more fonts and "improved clarity". It's nice to have a little choice in fonts -- a sans serif alternate, for example. I actually rather like the existing serif font. How do we get to "improved clarity"? Denser letters? Isn't that a function of e-ink?

I don't mind a password protect so long as I can turn it off and keep it off. I'm not concerned about the husband, or the cats, running amok with my Kindle when I'm not around.

But the last two: Facebook/Twitter and "see what the Kindle community thinks of interesting passages" ... sounds a lot like that blogger in another thread who had Big Ideas on How To Fix E-Readers. And will any of this apply to non-US Kindles outside of the US? On a clear day, from the top of a tower, I can see Buffalo ....
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Firmware update: Sony, are you listening?
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Of course, we don't know if "collections" is a hybrid of tags and folders ...

The PDF pan and zoom is a nice-to-have in a pinch to make SOME use of pdf ... but a Kindle 2 really is suited for that format. But, hey, zoom and pan is a plus.

I'm not sure how they get to more fonts and "improved clarity". It's nice to have a little choice in fonts -- a sans serif alternate, for example. I actually rather like the existing serif font. How do we get to "improved clarity"? Denser letters? Isn't that a function of e-ink?

I don't mind a password protect so long as I can turn it off and keep it off. I'm not concerned about the husband, or the cats, running amok with my Kindle when I'm not around.

But the last two: Facebook/Twitter and "see what the Kindle community thinks of interesting passages" ... sounds a lot like that blogger in another thread who had Big Ideas on How To Fix E-Readers. And will any of this apply to non-US Kindles outside of the US? On a clear day, from the top of a tower, I can see Buffalo ....
Perhaps they are going to implement the font hacks that have been available for a while now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45660
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote