Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Embedding fonts

I keep seeing references to the ability to do this (embed fonts in a file), but I can't find anything on MR or anywhere that tells me how to do it or which formats can handle embedded fonts. I mean, there are LOTS of references to embedding fonts with specific examples that are all partial explanations, assuming you already know how it's done.

Is there a "how to" anywhere?

I'm trying to make my backlist novels available in as many formats as Calibre can put out, so advice on any of these w/b welcome.

Sometimes I feel so stupid.....
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
You mean for ePub files, Jane? Other than PDF I don't think any other formats can have embedded fonts. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you do mean ePub, and since you're the author of the books, there's an easy way if you have the original text (RTF, DOC, etc.). Just load into the Atlantis word processor, tweak as necessary, and click the check box for "embed fonts" when saving the ePub. (Note: Atlantis is not free, it's $35 with a month of free trial.)

For an existing ePub, take a look at Sigil. The forum is just below this one. Good luck!
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ePUB, LRF and PDF support embedded fonts, but currently calibre will automatically embed fonts only in LRF.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Ahh.... But there is a way to do it with EPUB and Kovid, I believe you helped on that one. In one of my posts I asked that same question and following the directions I was able to to do it. I can't remember exactly how now, but it involved either changing the file association to winzip or winrar(I used Winrar) or just change the the name temporarily to *.zip Go ahead and extract the files you see there to a temp dir. You will see a folder labled content and under it one labled resources. There are several css files there labled starting with ) the one where you add the fonts to embed is the first non-empty one. You have to use a font name and begin it with the @ symbol.

This has probably refreshed someone's memory and they can take it from there and correct my mistakes and fill in the gaps. It worked perfectly for me.

If not search for posts using p3aul. it's in there somewhere!
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post

This has probably refreshed someone's memory and they can take it from there and correct my mistakes and fill in the gaps. It worked perfectly for me.

If not search for posts using p3aul. it's in there somewhere!
Paul
Thanks! I'll do that.

Love the avatar.
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Jane,

Some of the "embedding fonts" discussions are not about putting fonts into the ebook output file.

Many of these discussions are about users wanting to add fonts to a hardware ereader and/or change the formatting of ebooks to use a particular font or layout (margins, paragraph spacing, etc). Mostly this consists of placing the font on the ereader and changing the CSS stylesheet to account for the desired changes. I believe these were universal changes to the ereader hardware that affected all books on that device.

From your request, I don't think this is what you are looking to do. Most likely Kovid's answer is going to be the most correct for your purposes.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Sabardeyn

Kovid did say that currently Calibre does not *automatically* embed fonts for Epub. But it is possible using css. and the @font-name attribute in the correct css file. Check it out. I don't claim to be a ebook guru, but I know what I'm talking about in this case.
Paul
Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
p3aul
Captain Courageous

OK hre is the scoop right here on the Calibre forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61587

This willl tell you all you need to embed your fonts in each epub you write or modify. NOTE: Calibre itself need not be the epub creater.

Please don't hesitate to email me for help at clist@3ryd.com

I hope this will convince the nay-sayers. I had the same problems from others when I tried it so you are not alone.
Paul

Last edited by p3aul; 04-03-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: better source
Old 04-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
P3aul,

You and I are having slightly different discussions.

I was trying to let Jane know if she searches through the forum, she is likely to find a number of topics on a slightly different "embedded fonts" than what she's looking for. Otherwise she might mistakenly waste time and effort on a project that will never do what she wants - and get very frustrated.

Installing fonts on her ereader is not going to put fonts in her epub.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Amen to that! Sorry for the misunderstanding. I know if I were writing a book I would want to embed the fonts in the epub, rather then the reader as that wouldn't help me much. I had found another site that showed an example of embedding the fonts in the epub file but that one used a copyrighted file that had to be downloaded from Canada. If I had had the time I would have created a short example non-copyrighted so she could learn from that. I'm not sure of her level of expertise, and I When I first came upon the imbedded fonts thing it was a challenge to me until if got it right then I moved on and have since forgot how I did it. After a while you forget all those fancy fonts. That's why Times Roman has been around so long!

Cheers, Friend!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Upload it somewhere as html and open it with
http://web2fb2.net/
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
JaneFancher
Zealot

Thanks everyone! Esp you, P3aul. That's exactly what I was looking for. Finally got Sigil working on my machine, so I can actually try it out now!

My 'NetWalkers books involve lots of different kinds of communication and it's kinda nice to be able to differentiate between computer speak and people speak. Not to mention just making pretty titles. I'm so vain....
Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
JaneFancher
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
You mean for ePub files, Jane? Other than PDF I don't think any other formats can have embedded fonts. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you do mean ePub, and since you're the author of the books, there's an easy way if you have the original text (RTF, DOC, etc.). Just load into the Atlantis word processor, tweak as necessary, and click the check box for "embed fonts" when saving the ePub. (Note: Atlantis is not free, it's $35 with a month of free trial.)

For an existing ePub, take a look at Sigil. The forum is just below this one. Good luck!
BooBooBoo...No WordPerfect support. Neither, oddly, will it bring in html. Yucky!!!!! I had real hopes for this. Ah, well. Thanks anyway! I'll just put the code in.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
ePUB, LRF and PDF support embedded fonts, but currently calibre will automatically embed fonts only in LRF.
How do you embed fonts in LRF? is it just a matter of declaring the font after the BODY tag?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Sorry I thought this thread had ended. You might try this link to the help files using "ebook-convert" This is a command line command(program). It uses "switches" like "--title or "--authors" so that you can change the way Calibre converts your file. Just glancing hastily at it I saw switches to allow you to change fonts in several input formats. Just look for the input file you want to convert from to LRF and follow that link and the instructions.
here's the link: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...k-convert.html
HTH
Paul

Tags
embedding fonts