Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
graypal
graypal began at the beginning.

Device: cybook opus, kindle paperwhite
Hi, I've just ordered an opus

Hi everyone. I have just ordered an opus from the net. I have read all the comments here, and I must say I am a bit concerned about the freezing issue, but I really like the size and design of the opus.

I read a couple of hours a day and hope that the odd freeze will not spoil it for me. Its forecast minus 5 in the UK this weekend so it will be a good test.

Up to now I have done all my reading on my PDA and it has been fine, but I would like to read outside which is hard in the sunshine. I picked the opus because it is similar to a PDA, but a bit bigger so it will be an improvement on screen size while still remaining portable. Most of the 6 inch ones do look quite a bit larger that the opus.

The main thing I will miss is the enews feeds from mobi-reader. I know that I can set something similar up in calibre but it does seem more complicated.

I will let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

Gray
graypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
If it's new, it won't be freezing. Bookeen is fitting all new devices with updated firmware, it only refuses to release it for the old users "until it fixes all the bugs". So don't expect firmware updates later.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The freezing is hardly a "show stopper" even if it does happen. Reset the device (just a key sequence) and 30s later you're reading again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Gray.

Enjoy some of the free books we have here.....formatted by our own members, making for a more pleasurable reading experience.

Hope you love your Opus, and don't hesitate to ask questions as they arise
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
MarlaChristy
MarlaChristy began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
I too hesitated having read the forum. But I love it. The freezing can be annoying, but it's not a real problem (I use the lead of my retracting pencil to reset).

I find the device brilliant for photos - your name is "grandma", just stick all your grandkids' photos on it and show them off!

You won't regret your Opus, I'm sure!
MarlaChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
polyfragmentiert
Groupie
polyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SONY PRS-T1, bald tolino vision 3 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The freezing is hardly a "show stopper" even if it does happen. Reset the device (just a key sequence) and 30s later you're reading again.
IF the reset key sequence works which for me it never did. So it's hard reset always. A positive factor is that I'm up and running again in less than 30 seconds, but it's still a bit annoying.
polyfragmentiert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you using an SD card? The key sequence reset doesn't work if you are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
polyfragmentiert
Groupie
polyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SONY PRS-T1, bald tolino vision 3 HD
No, I don't use a SD card.

Anyway, I hope the thread-starter will like the device.
polyfragmentiert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
graypal

Thanks for the replies everyone. The opus has landed (that was a book as well) in England, so I am hoping it will be here soon.

I will let you know what the firmware version is when it arrives, and wether it freezes or not. By the way, how do I check what firmware is on it?

I am getting a bit more used to the RSS feeds from calibre now. Its a bit more work to set up than mobireader feeds but it looks good on my PC. I can't wait to see what they are like on the opus.

Come on DHL. Get the wagons rolling and deliver soon.

Thanks again

Graham
Old 12-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I don't have the Opus with me, but hopefully I remember the steps to check firmware version correctly.

When in the Library Listing press the Menu button
Scroll to Advanced settings
In advanced settings select "About"
That should show you a screen with info including the firmware version.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
graypal

Cheers for that mate. Will try it when my opus is delivered.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
If it's new, it won't be freezing. Bookeen is fitting all new devices with updated firmware, it only refuses to release it for the old users "until it fixes all the bugs". So don't expect firmware updates later.
This isn't true. Judging from mine, the new ones freeze as well, just not as often. Not really a big issue, though.
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
Belendir
Belendir began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Congrats for getting the Opus. Got one too not long ago and its working like a charm. Not one single freeze so far *knocks on wood*.
Belendir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would be for me given that Bookeen is not going to fix your problem unless you buy another Opus that has a later version firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfragmentiert View Post
IF the reset key sequence works which for me it never did. So it's hard reset always. A positive factor is that I'm up and running again in less than 30 seconds, but it's still a bit annoying.
same here .. always have to take off the back cover and poke around to reset (no SD card either) ..
that said tho I too love my opus .. I had the Gen 3 before but this is better .. I do most of my reading in bed so it is even more comfy because of it's size ..
Also have decided to stick with epub for now .. it just looks 'cleaner' somehow!
Enjoy your device
Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote