Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #31
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Coldsun, what do you think on the quality and reactivity of the touch screen and of the onscreen keyboard?

Is is usable for text input (I would want to enter only a few word at a time, but need to be able to type them fast).

My previous experience with WinCE Arm tablet were rather bad compared to smaller Windows Mobile device like the Hx4700 (winCE onscreen keyboard too small and slow, touchscreen too hard, etc.) but since it have been a few years I hope the technology have improved.

I'm thinking of using one at work, to generate PDF instead of paper ; of course I would probably load a few ebooks on it too

Last edited by Faenad; 06-16-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 AM   #32
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Is anyone else having trouble with sticking in an SD card? (Mine is SD Flash card. Is that the same thing?)

I push it in, and it doesn't snap into place like it does into my laptop slot. It just gets stuck in there, and I have no idea how to make sure the device is recognizing the card. My Linux knowledge is a bit rusty, but my understanding is, you have to "mount" the drive.
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 03:58 AM   #33
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnachos View Post
Is anyone else having trouble with sticking in an SD card? (Mine is SD Flash card. Is that the same thing?)

I push it in, and it doesn't snap into place like it does into my laptop slot. It just gets stuck in there, and I have no idea how to make sure the device is recognizing the card. My Linux knowledge is a bit rusty, but my understanding is, you have to "mount" the drive.
The card reader is inset just a millimeter too far -- use the stylus to make it click into place. (Well, that's what I do, since it's so handy.)

PCManFM (The file manager) will automount it for you, and put a folder on the desktop.

BTW, this is a lot better done in the new 3.0 software -- get that if you haven't already.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #34
profnachos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
The card reader is inset just a millimeter too far -- use the stylus to make it click into place. (Well, that's what I do, since it's so handy.)

PCManFM (The file manager) will automount it for you, and put a folder on the desktop.

BTW, this is a lot better done in the new 3.0 software -- get that if you haven't already.

m a r
I am really lost. Downloaded the two .rar files and I don't know where to go from there. Tried to download the manual (http://www.eletroworld.cn/nb/downloa...Q%20Manual.pdf) and apparently the file is corrupted.

As to the SD card, it goes in there, and nothing "clicks," and I don't see anything on the desktop. It just goes in there and now I can't remove it. It is in there too deep. There is a hole next to the slot. Am I supposed to insert a paper clip to pop the card out?

I wish support was better, but everywhere I click on there website is in Chinese.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #35
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnachos View Post
As to the SD card, it goes in there, and nothing "clicks," and I don't see anything on the desktop. It just goes in there and now I can't remove it. It is in there too deep. There is a hole next to the slot. Am I supposed to insert a paper clip to pop the card out?

I wish support was better, but everywhere I click on there website is in Chinese.
Just want to check. Did you put the sd card in label facing down? Maybe you could use tweasers to pull it out? It clicks in and pops out when I press it on mine.

If you did insert the sd card label facing down and it isn't clicking into it, sounds like it might be faulty.

Last edited by bjkel; 06-16-2009 at 01:24 PM.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #36
profnachos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkel View Post
Just want to check. Did you put the sd card in label facing down? Maybe you could use tweasers to pull it out? It clicks in and pops out when I press it on mine.

If you did insert the sd card label facing down and it isn't clicking into it, sounds like it might be faulty.
It works. Thanks. It still doesn't click, but the device recognizes the card, so that is good.

Does anyone have any info on how to upgrade the firmware? The manual is not downloadable. It says the file is damaged and cannot be repaired.
'
How do you take the two .rar files and go from their?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #37
Brainy142
Brainy142 began at the beginning.

Device: smart q 5???
Raz (thats what we cal the admin ) is going to be selling them on Mp4nation.net, he gets a shipment tomorrow it has free shipping and insurance, we also have a board for this topic on the forum.
Price for Q5 is $164.50
Q7 is 214.50

as I said he gets a shipment and also he hasn't updated the product listing but, he told us in the forum it will have ENGLISH firmware preloaded.

ps if you find a cheaper price (including shipping and insurance) Raz will match it.

profnachos I think your spring just broke it should be ok.

EDIT: android has also been run on this.

Last edited by Brainy142; 06-16-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Brainy142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Has the screen been tested in direct sunlight? That is a deal breaker for a lot of people if it's not good enough. I hope it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #39
Brainy142
Brainy142 began at the beginning.

Device: smart q 5???
I have an answer about the screen from Raz:
"can't say about the Q7, but i suspect the answer is the same, on testing the Q5 i found that the screen did not hold up to well on direct sunlight, now in my office room i get a good amount of sun and the screen did show through fine, if maybe at times the color a bit dulled due to the brightness."
Brainy142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #40
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
In my review I mentioned that the device isn't the best to use for direct sunlight, but in the opposite situation, complete darkness, it is awesome. The device definately has some quirks, as seen in my review and some of the other threads, but with a dedicated community such as the one we seem to see growing before us, we could have ourselves quite the nifty little toy until someone out there gets even smarter than SmartQ.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I guess nobody on staff cares that the first post of this thread makes the frontpage look awful. Too many photos and too big. A short summary with a photo of two would have been ok. But the full post is awful and that's not nice for the front of the site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #42
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

JSWolf, please explain how your last post contributed to this thread? I mean, your only contribution to this thread is to ask a question that was clearly answered in the review. It seems to me that this is just your response to the attention a non-eInk device is getting on this site.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #43
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Cold, sorry for been such a pest but is there any update on your remote desktop review?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #44
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Not yet, but it will be in the next day or two. Also, I'm updating the main post with smaller images and links to fullsize images.

Regards,
Cold
Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #45
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Not yet, but it will be in the next day or two. Also, I'm updating the main post with smaller images and links to fullsize images.

Regards,
Cold
very much, also could tell me the site where you got the remote desktop programs?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote