Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My CES gear bag

There seems to be a tradition of posting a list of gear bag contents when one goes to CES. Who am I to argue with tradition.

I just bought a new messenger bag (size medium) from Timbuk2. My previous backpack had had an unfortunate encounter with a carsick foster puppy. I bought the new bag because it was on sale.

I'm bringing my faithful old Dell Inspiron 710m laptop. I'm sticking with my old laptop because I can't justify the funds to replace it. Also, it still has over a year on the warranty. But I recently replaced the battery. I now have close to the original 5 hours battery life, which is fine. I doubt that I'll use it that much in a day.

I just received a digital voice recorder in the mail. I know it won't be much use on the show floor, but I plan to use it to record presentations and private showings.

I'm bringing 3 cameras: Kodak Zi8, C140, and C330. The Zi8 is a video camera, and the C140 is a digital camera. The C330 is much older, and is coming along as backup. I also bought a Gorilla Grip tripod.

One item I'm not bringing is my Cherrypal Africa netbook. I bought this netbook before Christmas, and Cherrypal completely screwed up the shipping. I've been waiting 2 weeks now and there is still no sign that they've shipped it.

I'm going to tell you the next item in my gear bag, and if you want to take away my geek card that's okay. I'm bringing a spiral notebook (made of paper) as a backup. If I get bored I'll see if I remember how to make obscene origami.

Of course, I'll also have a printed copy of my itinerary, including a set of maps marked with the booths I want to visit.

For internet access I'm borrowing a 4G USB dongle from Clearwire. I've been to enough conventions to know that I can't rely on a shared internet connection. I'm not under any obligation to tell you about them, but I've looked over the company and if the service were available in my area I'd think about getting it.

There are 3 ebook readers in my gear bag: the Onyx Boox, Jetbook, and WikiReader. The last is in the bag simply because it's so small that the weight penalty is negligible. The Jetbook is coming because I'm quite happy with it. And the Boox is coming so I have a modern epaper device for comparing screen refresh rates.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Sounds like you are ready to go! Did you leave lots of room for swag?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Sounds like you are ready to go! Did you leave lots of room for swag?
Yes. My clothing bag is half empty. Also, I can stuff the gear bag and it will still meet the airline size requirements.

Do you know that CES gives the press a bag ever year? It's supposed to be really good.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes. My clothing bag is half empty. Also, I can stuff the gear bag and it will still meet the airline size requirements.

Do you know that CES gives the press a bag ever year? It's supposed to be really good.
Ooh you better get one and post what's in it! Nothing beats free stuff.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Instead of a regular spiral notebook maybe take the Livescribe RickyMaveety raved about. That way your geek status would stay intact.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Instead of a regular spiral notebook maybe take the Livescribe RickyMaveety raved about. That way your geek status would stay intact.
My flight leaves tomorrow, so that's gonna be kinda hard.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You must be planning to party before the even starts or are there pre-events happening before the official start on the 7th.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
You must be planning to party before the even starts or are there pre-events happening before the official start on the 7th.
Tomorrow is the Asus press conference, and on Wednesday I have 2 press conferences and an appointment. Anyway, my idea of a party is to play the sound track to Once More, With Feeling.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Did you pack your rollerskates?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Did you pack your rollerskates?
Along with some Advil and really comfy shoes.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Along with some Advil and really comfy shoes.
Oops. The advil was still on the counter. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Oops. The advil was still on the counter. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I am so looking forward to your postings when you return. I'm also a bit envious. I'd love to be in your shoes for the next few days!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Please drop by the Onyx booth and say hi. I will be there.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I thought someone might want to know what was in my gear bag by the end of CES.

Wednesday
everything listed above

Thursday
laptop + power supply
1 camera
notebook
1 ebook reader
SD card reader (so I could check the photos)

Friday, Saturday
laptop, no power supply
1 camera
1 ebook reader
notebook
SD card reader (so I could check the photos)

I was also lugging around my coat on Thursday, which was a nuisance. On Friday I decided to just be cold in the morning.

One thing I've decided is that I'm going to find much smaller and lighter device that will replace my laptop in the gear bag. All I needed it for was checking the photos, and something with the abilities of the Q7 could probably do it.