Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 AM   #1
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
Sigil 0.7.4 won’t start (Windows 7 64-bit)

After not using Sigil for some months I find that it either doesn’t run at all or silently crashes on startup now. Watching Task Manager while running it as Administrator, its process briefly appears then disappears almost immediately. I know I’ve had a problem similar to this before with Sigil, but I’ve not been able to get it working this time.

I’ve tried renaming sigil.ini (& all the .inis), I’ve tried reinstalling, uninstalling and reinstalling, reinstalling running as Admin, stepping back to 0.7.3 & 0.7.2 - pretty much everything I can think of with no luck.

I’m certain it used to run. Much as I like Calibre (and the new editor looks very solid) the lack of embedded font display is a problem for me.

I realise development is at a standstill, but any suggestions would be welcome.
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You could uninstall with Revo (or something alike) to really remove everything. I think you have some leftovers from the QT framework.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Calibre does display embedded fonts, I am editing a book with them now where I have to use one to get an o with a line over it. But it does not display them in certain circumstances, aliased, whatever that means.

I am running .0.7.4. under Windows 7 64 bit so it can be done.

Sigil .ini may have got banged up, so if the uninstall program doesn't work, try renaming it and Sigil will make a new one. Then you can copy over whatever is missing in the new one, carefully.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
to (calibre editor) displaying embedded fonts.

IMHO Both editors share a few of the same display quirks (because they use some of the same code libraries). But I get the feeling that Calibre has a few less.

I am liking Calibre's equivalent of Flightcrew over Sigil's.
My jury is still out on the TOC generator.

Remember, the 'Editor' is not done, whereas Sigil development is known to be stalled.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The calibre editor most definitely supports embedded fonts, with the single caveat that the font-family name declared in the @font-face rule must be exactly the same as the font family name inside the font itself. The Check Book tool in the editor will warn you if that is not the case in the book you are editing, which can then be easily fixed.

Last edited by theducks; 03-19-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: oops
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It even tells you what the right name should be. Thanks for that!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The calibre editor most definitely supports embedded fonts, with the single caveat that the font-family name declared in the @font-face rule must be exactly the same as the font family name inside the font itself. The Check Book tool in the editor will warn you if that is not the case in the book you are editing, which can then be easily fixed.

Kovid
Sometimes the Family (for normal, bold, italic, bold-italic) is not complete (or a member looks lousy), so I may substitute a font assignment.
Now all the internal names are not in alignment.

Is the (proper?) way to work around this, is to use the true name in the @font
and add each name to the font-family: list in the selector?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't matter if the family is not complete. You just have to make sure the font names match in the @font-face rule. Then in the actual CSS style rule you can use as many fallbacks as you like.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
It doesn't matter if the family is not complete. You just have to make sure the font names match in the @font-face rule. Then in the actual CSS style rule you can use as many fallbacks as you like.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos View Post
I realise development is at a standstill, but any suggestions would be welcome.
Have you tried running sigil.exe from a command prompt, to see if there are any (additional) useful error messages?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #11
seanos
Zealot

Quote:
Ah...thanks Kovid. I was a little puzzled by that element of the Check Book routine. It just seemed overly fussy to me as I’ve never encountered that problem. I do in general prefer sane, human-friendly names, but if it will lead to an easier life I might submit. 8-)

I do have a loathing for programmers’ problem with spaces though. Because of the use of spaces as delimiters, or bad assumptions about where you can put a space many, many organisations have never been able to actually record my surname correctly. I keep hoping programmers will get their act together before I die, but I’m not holding my breath.

Another thing I miss in the Calibre Editor is spell-checking. Is that planned?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
seanos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You could uninstall with Revo (or something alike) to really remove everything. I think you have some leftovers from the QT framework.
I don’t entirely trust third-party uninstallers. Sigil seems to put all of its QT libraries in its own folder and I’ve confirmed that everything is deleted except dictionaries.

A more interesting possibility is that I’ve installed something else that uses QT in the meantime and there is a conflicting library already loaded, though I still think it would give preference to its local libraries. Anyone more familiar with Windows programming like to venture an opinion?

Edit: I have installed Mumble which uses QT 4.8.6. Sigil 0.7.4 seems to use 5.1.0.0, but still don’t think this should interfere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Sigil .ini may have got banged up, so if the uninstall program doesn't work, try renaming it and Sigil will make a new one. Then you can copy over whatever is missing in the new one, carefully.
First thing I tried. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Have you tried running sigil.exe from a command prompt, to see if there are any (additional) useful error messages?
Sadly Windows is not Linux. No output of any kind from regular or elevated command prompt.

Last edited by seanos; 03-20-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos View Post
Another thing I miss in the Calibre Editor is spell-checking. Is that planned?
Total speculation follows:

There is a new branch on the GitHub source code, called "spell", which seems to be the spellchecking that Kovid promised would come around at some point.

It hasn't been updated in 18 days though (unless you count merging in the latest code from the master branch) but I'm assuming that is because all the work so far has been stuff which isn't ready to be pushed to the repository. Plus the commits to the master branch have been (relatively speaking) either easy updates or requested bugfixes. (Plus the Quick open file feature completed 10 days ago.) So I'm assuming he's devoting most of his attention at the moment to implementing the spellcheck.

Keeping that in mind, I have a different question: Kovid, can you tell us what the status is?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I dislike commenting on WIP. It will be done, when it is done

My work style is somewhat non-linear. I will spend a few days working on a large feature, reach a point where I get fed up with it and move on to something else for a while. Then return to it and work upto the next saturation point and so on. You can see that with the spell check feature. I reached a point where I got fed up with it, and switched to working on quick open. Since quick open is now done, I will probably return to spellcheck soon.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Fair enough.

We will wait. Plenty of goodies to use in the meantime.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote