Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #16
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Picard: "Computer, list teas."
90 seconds later the computer responds with a list of the first 5 teas.
Picard: "Computer, Earl Grey."
The replicator does it's thing... Picard reaches in and removes a Kobo Pad displaying "Riders of the Purple Sage" by Zane Grey...
Picard shakes his head, tucks the pad under his arm for later and enters the bridge.
Picard: "I've had it. Set course for the nearest starbase. We're putting in for a refit!"
Riker blinks and reluctantly turns to Picard.
Riker: "But Sir, remember what happened the last time..."
Picard bends forward and grabs his head in one hand and shudders.
Picard: "Merde! I don't care if we do get another firmware update like last time. I need my tea... If we have to fly the ship upside-down, we do it. It's space, nobody knows which way is up anyhow!"....
wow, the stuff you're growing in your garden seems to be reeeeeaaaaal good...!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I think if the mini or Aura was my first real ereader, I would think them more than good enough.
I find that a few people take those bugs and blow them out of proportion, demand that certain bugs affect everyone (even though only a few people encounter them), or label a disagreeable feature as a bug.

The Kobo has issues, yet most of those issues are minor. I would also go as far as suggesting that some of the issues are user created.
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I find that a few people take those bugs and blow them out of proportion, demand that certain bugs affect everyone (even though only a few people encounter them), or label a disagreeable feature as a bug.

The Kobo has issues, yet most of those issues are minor. I would also go as far as suggesting that some of the issues are user created.
Right in one
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #19
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I think what is frustrating about the bugs, and they are indeed minor for the most part, is that the device is getting so close to perfect. For the average epub novel reader, there are only, in my opinion, 4-5 bugs to fix and the Glo would be awesome. With every release, there is the hope that these bugs are gone and nirvana has been reached, but then there they still are and something else has changed that may not be for the better. And that is when perspective gets lost.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:

I find that some people claim the right to define which bugs/features/inconveniences/design are not worth complaining.

I see a lot of posts here demanding that people should stop complaining about certain things. I don't see many posts (if any) demanding that everybody should complain about a specific thing that bothers some individual ...

Maybe it's about time to stop complaining about complains and just accept the fact that some people are less enthusiastic about their KOBO device than others.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
It is a bit frustrating, though, when long standing bugs relate to core functionality - like the long paragraph bug - go unfixed through several homescreen revisions, the additon of a wishlist and chess game, and so on.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
I find that some people claim the right to define which bugs/features/inconveniences/design are not worth complaining.

I see a lot of posts here demanding that people should stop complaining about certain things. I don't see many posts (if any) demanding that everybody should complain about a specific thing that bothers some individual ...

Maybe it's about time to stop complaining about complains and just accept the fact that some people are less enthusiastic about their KOBO device than others.
Exactly. In this specific kobo forum here, critics are welcome. But only positive ones.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #23
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
I doubt that anyone is claiming the right to define what is worth complaining about. The issue arises when people start forcing the issue across multiple threads, including threads that have nothing to do with the issue at hand. To give you a recent example: people did not like the inclusion of the page header/title bar in 2.5.2. There was nothing wrong with disliking the change. There was nothing wrong with bringing it up. There was nothing wrong with devoting treads to it. Then someone brought up another thread to discuss the bugs and features of 2.5.2, and explicitly asked that the title bar issue not be brought up. The reason was clear: there were already several threads dedicated to the issue, and certain members of the forum wanted to be able to discuss other aspects of the firmware revision without sorting through a singular complaint that was very well known.

Things like this have also popped up in the past, to a greater or lesser degree. Some are pure design considerations which certain people didn't like and other people did like, such as the carousel in the 1.9.x firmware. Others were bugs that clearly needed to be addressed. Example: certain members didn't seem to realize that it affected some users but not others, and that the ones who didn't encounter the bug didn't want to be stumbling across it in virtually every thread.

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that all Kobo lovers realize that. I think that it's safe to say that all Kobo lovers are okay with listening to the issues that other people have with Kobo devices, and acknowledge that those issues are real. (In some cases, they may not agree with the criticism but they acknowledge that people's tastes differ.) I'm not sure that Kobo haters realize that some people love their Kobo or, if they do realize it, they are being incredibly disrespectful about the interests of those other people.

One again, there is nothing wrong with bringing up an issue in a general thread. There is nothing wrong with having a thread dedicated to an issue, or several threads for that matter. There is nothing wrong with voicing support for Kobo resolving an issue. There is something wrong when the lobbying effort starts to demonstrate disrespect for those who disagree with something being an issue. There is something incredibly wrong when disrespect is being displayed to people who agree that something is an issue, but wants to discuss other stuff.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I've had my Kobo Touch for a few years now and I'm still running fw 1.9.17 because it suits me the best. It's not the best I can hope for; it's just the best that's available to me.

When I opted in to Kobo for my ereading experience, most of my reasons had to do with this company providing me (a Canadian) with what I was looking for. I didn't ask for a lot of bells and whistles, just a decent e-ink/epub reading experience.

Well, it seems to me that the route new firmware has taken, more often than not, is geared towards those consumers looking for the bells and whistles. In my simple reading experience, I don't need shelves, I don't want to deal with tweaking fonts. I just want a stable/consistent reading experience. That is why I have not bothered to upgrade since fw 1.9.17.

Let me tell you, it has been incredibly hard on my patience, wading through all the threads about new firmware and new bugs, trying to figure out if my time has come to revisit firmware updating. For at least two years now, I've been slogging through these threads hoping to find some firmware that doesn't mess with epubs too much. At this point, I've forgotten exactly what points I've been waiting to be addressed in firmware.

Nevertheless, I have continued to read (on fw 1.9.17) with my Kobo Touch and am quite happy. Am I jumping up and down and cheering "Go Kobo! Go!" Not really. But I don't feel cheated/ripped-off by the company. It is what it is, and I'm still using it, and I have no reason to jump to another company/device. That's all.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
I doubt that anyone is claiming the right to define what is worth complaining about. .....
I have seen many posts on certain issues from Kobo lovers, as you call them, telling Kobo critics to stop complaining and live with it. Or to go complain only in one specific thread and leave the rest of the forum clean of complaints.

Quote:
There is something incredibly wrong when disrespect is being displayed to people who agree that something is an issue, but wants to discuss other stuff.
If only the issues were accepted as such, it would make a big difference. But more often than not they are being dismissed as being either non-existent or non-relevant. Who allowed them to, and what are the rules of this game ? Because, and keep in mind that I am neither a Kobo lover, nor a Kobo hater, I am getting quite fed up with the "Kobo said so" thingy. If Kobo wants to tell us something, they can, they have a rep here that comes from time to time. As far as I am concerned, anything anyone else, aka not being paid by Kobo, says is just rumors propagating and bullying members who may not be completely mesmerized by Kobo.

Last edited by aceflor; 06-13-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
What some may have forgotten or not considered, is that all those who visit mobileread forums (MR) have an interest in ereading. The subset that go to the Kobo subforum have some interest in the Kobo ereaders, many own one or more of them. This forum and MR in general does not suffer from Trolls, as is often the case in other social media.

Those commenting almost always have a genuine interest in the subjects under discussion.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I have seen many posts on certain issues from Kobo lovers, as you call them, telling Kobo critics to stop complaining and live with it. Or to go complain only in one specific thread and leave the rest of the forum clean of complaints.
I'm not trying to deny that happens. I am claiming that it usually happens after a few people become too vocal about an issue: when a general thread is hijacked for a particular issue, or when completely unrelated threads are hijacked for a particular cause. People are here to discuss a variety of things, not the pet causes of a few people.

Like I said, bring these things up if you wish. But please be respectful of the fact that some people will disagree with you and other people won't see it as an important issue. Also respect the fact that people may want to discuss other things. I'm still a bit miffed that the 2.5.2 bugs and features thread, non-title bar edition, was hijacked because I was interested in learning about potential pitfalls of upgrading -- not because I wanted to stifle dissent. But it didn't work out that way. It didn't work out that way because certain voices were over powering other voices. Blocking those voices (using the feature we're not supposed to mention) didn't work out because there were still the replies to those powerful voices.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
I'm not trying to deny that happens. I am claiming that it usually happens after a few people become too vocal about an issue: when a general thread is hijacked for a particular issue, or when completely unrelated threads are hijacked for a particular cause. People are here to discuss a variety of things, not the pet causes of a few people.

Like I said, bring these things up if you wish. But please be respectful of the fact that some people will disagree with you and other people won't see it as an important issue. Also respect the fact that people may want to discuss other things. I'm still a bit miffed that the 2.5.2 bugs and features thread, non-title bar edition, was hijacked because I was interested in learning about potential pitfalls of upgrading -- not because I wanted to stifle dissent. But it didn't work out that way. It didn't work out that way because certain voices were over powering other voices. Blocking those voices (using the feature we're not supposed to mention) didn't work out because there were still the replies to those powerful voices.
Is there a limit to what text people can ignore? Is your keyboard locked up when others are posting? How could one post "overpower" another? If you were talking about distracting or OT attempts at injecting a little humor, you could have a point (And no one would accuse you of such activity), but that to can be ignored with a little will power.

Just keep posting those things you think more appropriate and there will be, could be, some who will respond.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Exactly. In this specific kobo forum here, critics are welcome. But only positive ones.
I'd disagree. Critics are welcome. What I personally find objectionable are the people who focus on one item and repeat their complaint at every opportunity. Like most of the participants in this forum, you've probably seen all too many of those posts similar in sense to the bits below:

"I will never buy a Kobo until they get rid of that $%^&*(} bottom margin that costs me valuable reading space".

"All Kobo needs to do to have a perfect ereader is to toss out their database and replace it with a simple file browser. Until they do that, their ereaders are pieces of crap".

"The new GUI sucks baboon GI tract methane and the developers should be lined up against the nearest wall".

The preferred technique is to inject your complaint into every discussion no matter what the subject is.

Discussion about firmware 2.6.1 not displaying .png cover images?

"If they used a file browser, that wouldn't be a problem."

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I'll give you one bug going back to the original Kobo that DOES affect everyone.

When you put the font-family in the body style in CSS, the embedded font is not displayed. This is how some embedded fonts are setup. Kobo ignores this. This is not an ADE issue. ADE works with font-family in the body CSS style. Kobo botched this and it's been reported and they refuse to fix it. So many eBooks do not display the embedded font and there could be an issue with extended characters because of this.

THIS AFFECTS EVERY EINK KOBO OUT THERE!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote