Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zihuatanejo View Post
The brightness settings are simply labeled incorrectly. Let have some common sense here. Someone said something about the bright setting in daylight reducing glare and your eyes should adjust to lower light settings...ridiculous! Kindle needs to own up to the mislabeling and correct it in the next software update. BTW I love my kindle paper white and plan on reading books exclusively on it.
After using a PW since release, I could not disagree with you more. I use a higher setting in rooms that are brighter and tone in down when reading in bed, at night.

By the way, that's not just the PW... I use an iPad in the same exact way.

And did you ever notice that devices with self-adjusting levels of brightness (again, an iPad, for example, or an iPhone) turn the brightness way up in sunlight and way down in dark rooms?

Your 'common sense' is just a common fallacy.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
After using a PW since release, I could not disagree with you more. I use a higher setting in rooms that are brighter and tone in down when reading in bed, at night.

By the way, that's not just the PW... I use an iPad in the same exact way.

And did you ever notice that devices with self-adjusting levels of brightness (again, an iPad, for example, or an iPhone) turn the brightness way up in sunlight and way down in dark rooms?

Your 'common sense' is just a common fallacy.
Don't care about it too much... Zihuatanejo's probably just posted his first message to provoke a bit.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
What am I missing here?
You're probably missing that the light on the KPW is not merely there to light the screen so you can read; it is also there to make the Kindle look "paperwhite". That's the vision of Amazon, at any rate.

If you are in a dark room, you don't need a lot of light to be able to read the screen, and you don't need a lot of light to make the Kindle look white.

If you are in a very bright room, you may be able to read just fine. However, the Kindle will still not look very white. You will need to turn the setting up very high to make it look white. The brighter the surroundings, the brighter the setting must be.

I alsways have at least a little bit of ambient light, and then I set the Kindle's front light to a point where the screen is as bright as it will go, without it looking illuminated like an LCD-screen. If the surroundings are bright enough to comfortably read, like on a very bright day, I just turn the light to the lowest setting. I see no use in setting the Kindle to 20+ to gain a few percent of whiteness at the cost of battery life.

edit: crappadidooda. Old thread I see. Ah, well.

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-31-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
edit: crappadidooda. Old thread I see. Ah, well.
It started out as an old thread, but it's getting pretty popular now.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote