Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Jen
Edge User

wi-fi won't turn on

Hello, is anyone else having trouble getting their wi-fi to turn on? I had everything working fine, and then it just booted me off. I was able to get back on once for about 10 minutes, but that is it. When I go into the menu to "Turn wi-fi on" it won't let me click it. Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Jen.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
done
Edge User

I know it is a silly question but have you checked to make sure that the physical WiFi switch is in the on position?

Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
done
Edge User

Moving this thread to General Help

Old 04-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
sarah11918
Edge User

When I first got my eDGe and needed to click the checkmark for the very first time, I couldn't get it to click no matter what I did until I pulled out the stylus and used it. So, I guess it just required a very specific click (and, I don't even remember whether calibration had been done yet, so that certainly could have been related).

So, make sure it's not a calibration issue and try clicking with the stylus, if you've just been using your finger.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
rcool
Edge User

I've got this problem too. I had been using it to browse the internet. I shut it off after almost every use, including turning the wi-fi switch off (but not always). At some point I went to use the internet and I tried to turn on wi-fi (I turned the switch on) it didn't respond. I went to check now and my eDGe seems to be locked up - can't even power off (but that's another matter). I am almost always using the stylus, not my fingers.

Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Jen
Edge User

Yes, I do have the wi fi switch on. It will not allow me to click "turn on Wi-fi" within the network controls menu. I never turned it off. I wonder if I am missing something. I know someone posted on another forum about the wi-fi "going to sleep" and changing those settings, but I can't even get to that. I don't know what is going on, but I had just purchased some books and now I am afraid they are in some kind of limbo.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Jen
Edge User

I recalibrated the LCD screen, but still no luck. When I click on the button (with my finger or stylus), it fades and just doesn't come back.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
done
Edge User

Jen,

Could you try using the track ball by the menu button on the eDGe to enable WiFi on your device. You should be able to use it to scroll through the lists in settings, and select something by pressing the trackball down. Could you let me know if this works?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
rcool
Edge User

I'll piggyback here and say that I can press on the line with finger, stylus, or trackball. The line "lights up" (any of the 3 in Wi-Fi Settings), but no response.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
done
Edge User

Another thing you can try is turning off WiFi using the physical switch but rather than turning it back on right away, leave it in the off position for about 30 seconds before turning it back on. Hopefully after doing this you will be able to enable WiFi in the eDGe Settings.

If this an the trackball suggestion do not work, please contact our tech support team so that they can troubleshoot the issue with you.

Tech Support Info:
Online Ticket Submission: http://www.entourageedge.com/support...kets&_a=submit
Email: techsupport@entourageedge.com
Phone: 1-703-650-5381
Support hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST

Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
rcool
Edge User

How very strange. Normally I turn the switch off unless I'm using it. I had the switch off, tried on connect Wi-Fi. Waited, then turned the switch on, then tried clicking on connect Wi-Fi and it worked! Thanks. Hopefully Jen can also get hers going.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
done
Edge User

Glad to hear it worked!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #13
edgelover
Edge User

I have the same problem sometimes here is what I do, turn off the wi-fi then go into setting and click on the wi-fi setting then turn the wi-fi switch back on and usually the green check will light up and you will be online.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #14
Leadlight
Edge User

Same here, turning the wifi on is somewhat mystical, i wasn't able to repeate the procedure, i usually turn it on by trial-and-error.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
sarah11918
Edge User

I had my first wifi problem yesterday, extending into today, and I'm thrilled to report that it wasn't the edge's fault!! I suspected something was off when I logged into the apt. complex's router and noticed that it listed my machine as a connected computer (when it clearly wasn't connected). That, coupled with the edge trying to connect but being unsuccessful at the getting IP address stage, probably indicated that the router was hanging on to an old connection, I thought. So, I killed my own device's connection through the router, and then no problem. I really didn't want to add wifi problems to my list, but fortunately we're all good!

Just goes to show that not every problem is with the device itself.