Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Rjl2001
Enthusiast
Rjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic Wifi, Nook Color (rooted)
Question Anyone own both a color and classic?

I've got a Nook Color that I've really been enjoying the last couple weeks. There's a B&N about 30 minutes away, so I've been going every few days and like that I can read any ebook free for an hour per day. But my understanding is if I root the NC then the instore features such as the free 1 hour reading go away. Well I noticed a new Nook Classic on craigslist here for $110. I'm thinking this way I could root the NC, but then still have the Classic to use for the instore features. Plus the added benefit of having an e-ink reader for when I'm wanting to read while outside.

So I guess I'm just wondering if anybody owns both, do you actually use both regularly? How does the online B&N stuff work when you have two, does it just sync up so the same books and everything are on both Nooks? If it does keep them synced, would your bookmarks or notes from the books show up on both devices?
Rjl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjl2001 View Post
So I guess I'm just wondering if anybody owns both, do you actually use both regularly? How does the online B&N stuff work when you have two, does it just sync up so the same books and everything are on both Nooks? If it does keep them synced, would your bookmarks or notes from the books show up on both devices?
I've been experimenting with page number syncing. I read my nook at home mostly but take the nook color out with me. I've been trying to get the page numbers to sync but there is such a lag that I usually end up looking for my place anyway. I've not tried testing the syncing of other features.
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I was wondering about this too as I am probably going to be getting a NC. I have heard that you can only sync B&N books though, not sideloaded content. I imagine that would be the same even if both were rooted. I have a lot of sideloaded content.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I own both. I read on the nook classic, and do tablet stuff (web, video, music, games, etc.) on the nook color.

They are both great devices. My nook color is rooted, but my classic is not.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I also own both, but find most of my reading is done on the color. I have rooted the color, but did not bother with the original nook. I will probably use the original one in store and for reading outside, but most of my reading is on the color because the screen is just gorgeous to read on.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I own both. I read on the nook classic, and do tablet stuff (web, video, music, games, etc.) on the nook color.

They are both great devices. My nook color is rooted, but my classic is not.
Ditto. I prefer the e-ink, battery life, and page turn buttons on the Nook. It's my reading device.

I use the NC for tablet stuff. I also toss a few books to read on it in a pinch because frankly most of the time I'd rather read that fiddle on the internet or play games.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I also have both. I use the e-ink reader for "recreational" reading, while the tablet is used for tech/office docs, RSS and News, gmail, etc.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

I find I am using my Nook light for 80% of my reading and going through batteries like crazy. That is one of the main reasons I want the colour. In the summer I do some reading outside though, so I would still need my Classic Nook. And when I go away the classic would be better for battery life. But, I would want it to sync my books, which I don't think it will do.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I have both, first with Nook classic back in July, then NC in December. I probably wouldn't have bought classic if I knew NC was coming, but I don't regret it since I do use it in my daily commute. At home/night, I use NC.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #10
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I find I am using my Nook light for 80% of my reading and going through batteries like crazy. That is one of the main reasons I want the colour. In the summer I do some reading outside though, so I would still need my Classic Nook. And when I go away the classic would be better for battery life. But, I would want it to sync my books, which I don't think it will do.
Are they CR2032 batteries (like the official Nook light)?

See here for 20x of them for $3.50

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.751
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Are they CR2032 batteries (like the official Nook light)?

See here for 20x of them for $3.50

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.751
Wow, that is super cheap! Although I assume their free shipping is not to Canada. I will have to check it out. I know for books and other things from amazon.com, the shipping is usually makes the purchase not worth it.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
I've been experimenting with page number syncing. I read my nook at home mostly but take the nook color out with me. I've been trying to get the page numbers to sync but there is such a lag that I usually end up looking for my place anyway. I've not tried testing the syncing of other features.
Is it possible to use other readers (Aldiko or FBReader) on a rooted Nook Classic?

If so, I think I saw a program that will sync FBReader across multiple android devices ...
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
GreenMonkey
DRM hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Wow, that is super cheap! Although I assume their free shipping is not to Canada. I will have to check it out. I know for books and other things from amazon.com, the shipping is usually makes the purchase not worth it.
Dealextreme ships from Hong Kong. They have lots of fun cheap stuff. It's kind of amazing you can order $5 worth of stuff and have it shipped around the world for free.

I go with monoprice.com in the U.S. for cables, but dealextreme for LED lights, batteries, phone/ipod cases, etc. Shipping is very slow though, expect to wait a few weeks.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Is it possible to use other readers (Aldiko or FBReader) on a rooted Nook Classic?

If so, I think I saw a program that will sync FBReader across multiple android devices ...
Yes you can use both. But Aldiko import feature is kinda bummer on android. FBReader you can browse all files. I am using FBReader to read mobi(since Amazon reader is also pain to sideload), fb2 and epub. It's now my default reader.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Dealextreme ships from Hong Kong. They have lots of fun cheap stuff. It's kind of amazing you can order $5 worth of stuff and have it shipped around the world for free.

I go with monoprice.com in the U.S. for cables, but dealextreme for LED lights, batteries, phone/ipod cases, etc. Shipping is very slow though, expect to wait a few weeks.
Thank you! I do use monoprice for some stuff, I love them. I have never heard of dealextreme though.