Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

View Poll Results: Does rooting violate the warranty or not?
It's unclear whether it violates the warranty 12 17.91%
It does not violate the warranty 16 23.88%
It does, indeed, violate the warranty 39 58.21%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
The money quote should be:

"If you can't afford to buy another NOOKcolor don't root it."

You think B&N service personnel are more knowledgeable than folks who hack these devices? Please.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Scion...why does it matter to you? Rooted or not it's a sale for BN.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another opinion: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112991
Old 12-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewrenn View Post

You can certainly revert to stock, but people are saying that not everything is reversed, and that B&N service personnel will be able to tell.
People would like a bit more info on this.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #20
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
While I haven't looked at the B&N warranty, MANY manufacturer's do indeed consider rooting, etc. to void the warranty, which I find to be ridiculous as it harms the device in no way, or no more so than their own updates.

I'd guess that the manufacturer concern wrt rooting would be non-technical users rooting, messing something up and then calling tech support for help, but beyond this I can't see any problems that would not otherwise possibly arise on an unrooted device as well.

Now if you can restore stock fw and have the same level of functionality with whatever problem, I see ABSOLUTELY no reason NOT to exercise the warranty, as the problem is obviously still present in the stock condition.

Reverting to stock and not everything undone: They are likely referring to the fact that the data partition is not wiped, yet you could take the time to manually wipe them or likely someone could provide an update variant that does this as part of the process. In any event if you can get to a factory reset option that SHOULD wipe everything down to just like it came OOB, if it's a properly function factory reset.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewrenn View Post
You can certainly revert to stock, but people are saying that not everything is reversed, and that B&N service personnel will be able to tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
People would like a bit more info on this.
Or at least know specifically who those people are.

In the far more technical-oriented forums (like XDA) used by people with advanced understanding of how these systems really work to the point that they are actually creating a new "vanilla" Android OS for the NC that people don't say that at all.

Please provide some names and credentials for the people saying that.

Last edited by RoboRay; 12-26-2010 at 01:03 PM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
If say, i root my nook, brick it in the process, and have to go to B&N support, I would understand them making me pay. I would understand the "try again with stock rom, so we can be sure it's no software problem".
Buy, rooting shouldn't be an excuse not to cover for hardware fault. Unless you're talking overcloking and such, rooting cannot possible affect hardware.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #23
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The OP has a point. The automated rooting process replaces some core Android libraries; only the person building those libraries knows what's in them. It is not unreasonable to think that those cooked libraries could cause a problem down the line (think of the Froyo port, which disables battery monitoring). I'm not saying the replacement libraries are faulty in anyway, but the possibility is always there when you replace an official file with one whose origin is unknown.

At the end of the day, it's a personal call. If I were in B&N's position, I would make it clear that rooting voids the warranty, but then, everybody is free to do as they please with their device.

Last edited by afv011; 12-26-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Typo
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The OP has a point. The automated rooting process replaces some core Android libraries; only the person building those libraries knows what's in them. It is not unreasonable to think that those cooked libraries could cause a problem down the line (think of the Froyo port, which disables battery monitoring).

Thanks.

I'd like for the 5 people who said that it does not void the warranty to explain their reasoning for all to hear.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'd like to hear it explained, with supporting evidence, why it would.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
cybrdmn
cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nookcolor
I don't know about you, but I BOUGHT my nook color. I'm not RENTING it. I'll do what i want with it. There is nothing about rooting that is going to harm it physically. If something fails, such as sound, for example, I will return it to the factory state, see if it is still an issue and persue it as a warranty issue if it does. I would return it to a factory state regardless of rooting anyway, a service rep has no business knowing what books I read or what I do with something just because I bought it from them.
cybrdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #27
cybrdmn
cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nookcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
I'd like to hear it explained, with supporting evidence, why it would.
Ditto
cybrdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #28
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
For extra credit, you do realize that just because a EULA or other licensing says something doesn't mean you are bound by it or that it is even enforceable or legal to enforce it? The same is true for employee handbooks and other contractual items.

Rooting doesn't change the HW and if you restore it to factory settings and it doesn't work then you can still get your warranty served. Just don't go around telling B&N you rooted it. Sure it might be possible for B&N engineers to tell but certainly not B&N service. Though you may get a random accusation, I sit next to an unmentioned product's NOC and I have heard one of the service guys get all sorts of odd thoughts in his head. But if you push him and escalate past the random paranoid guy you get your warranty acted upon. Just make sure you escalate before it expires.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdmn View Post
Ditto
I already explained this. Replacing the core Android libraries with cooked ones is potentially harmful (you do not know what was added/removed/altered in those libraries). The example I gave is clear enough: the Froyo port disables the battery monitoring service, meaning that if the battery overheats the device will not shutdown to protect itself.

That said, I believe that rooting the device (and this does not include flashing experimental builds like the Froyo port) is very unlikely to cause any harm.

The moral/legal dilemma of rooting and returning a damaged device is a different story altogether, and each one has his/her views.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #30
RoboRay
Zealot

Not really.

If you want to know what's in the changed libraries, just look. That's kind of what's so great about open source software.

The software battery monitor "danger" has already been discredited, as the hardware safety feature is still operable.

And so long as the hardware failure that results in seeking warranty service does not directly result from software changes (the probability of which I won't even waste time going into), what possible moral/legal dilemma exists?

If I buy a Windows PC from Dell and install Debian Linux on it, are you seriously suggesting that I would face a moral/legal dilemma by seeking warranty action when the video card dies two weeks later?

Last edited by RoboRay; 12-26-2010 at 10:51 PM.