Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
gcoleman
gcoleman began at the beginning.

Device: Milestone Android
586x720 Won't work on Kindle DTP Upload Utility

Hello,

I've been trying to upload an ebook (html format) into Kindle at DTP.amazon.com, and despite my 1st image being 586x720, it won't display on the DTP upload utility "Preview Book" screen. I just get an image of a camera with an exclamation mark. Any ideas what could cause this? I read that 600x800 is the ideal image size and 586x720 is within that size.

My images are GIFs.

Thanks,

Glenn
gcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
The first possibility that springs to mind (and the most usual cause of this) is that you're only uploading the HTML file.

Forgive me if you already know all this and I'm on the wrong track completely.

Unlike a Word doc, which contains both the text and the images, an HTML file only contains the text, and pointers to the individual image files. When you view it in your browser, the image shows up because the pointer to the image is pointing to where the image file is on your hard disk.

To upload both the HTML and the image file to the DTP interface, you have to zip your HTML and images into a single zip file, and upload the zip file.

If the image file is in the same directory as the HTML file on your hard disk, just zip them up together. If the image file is in a sub-directory (which it will be if you started with a Word doc and used "Save As" to save it as an HTML file), zip the HTML file along with the directory containing the image file. That will ensure that the image pointer in the HTML code will still point to the correct location.

Once you've done that, upload the zip file instead of uploading just the HTML file, and hopefully, that should solve the problem.

You'll also get lots of help and advice from others in the DTP Community forums there, if you need it.

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
gcoleman
gcoleman began at the beginning.

Device: Milestone Android
Thanks

Hi Donna,

You were right -- I was only uploading the html file. I had the images in the same directory but not zipped together.

I had trouble with my zip program, so saved the document in MS-Word Rich Text Format, and got the best results so far.

Thanks for your help.

Glenn
gcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Welcome, Glenn. Glad you got it sorted out, one way or another.

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote