Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Question Backing Up Data (Collections)

Ive made a few collections, sync'd with my puter but dont see the collection folders on the computer side....How does one back up the data on your Kindle to your computer...?? I thought I read somewhere you can make folders (directories) via USB on your computer and they show up on your Kindle...?? It doesn't work for me either way...What am I doing wrong...??
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ection+manager

for windows
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post

Ah...I didn't mention I had a MacPro...I suppose I could load Win if I absolutely had to...
Old 10-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The Kindle doesn't care about directories at all. It can be in the main documents directory or under documents/blahblah/blah and it will still just show it in the main view as if they all were inside the documents directory.

If you do set something to be in a collection then you can't move it from where you originally stored it on the Kindle. The exact location and filename are used to identify that file. Changing the directory or the filename will cause it to think that this is a new document.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Cpl Punishment
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The Kindle doesn't care about directories at all. It can be in the main documents directory or under documents/blahblah/blah and it will still just show it in the main view as if they all were inside the documents directory.

If you do set something to be in a collection then you can't move it from where you originally stored it on the Kindle. The exact location and filename are used to identify that file. Changing the directory or the filename will cause it to think that this is a new document.
Thank-you...That cleared that up...All my books (all 15 of em) are on my computer but I can see it being a painful process is someone had hundreds of books and had to redo their collection data...
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Quote:
All my books (all 15 of em) are on my computer but I can see it being a painful process is someone had hundreds of books and had to redo their collection data...
My Kindle developed a crack on the casing and had to be replaced. it had over 300 books on it in 30+ collections, while saving the documents folder from the Kindle onto my pc made loading the books on my new Kindle painless and quick, it didn't really save me much time as it took a few hours to recreate the collections and sort out the books into them
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Every few weeks, or after downloading and sorting a lot of books, I just back the whole contents of my Kindle up on my PC. I think the file for collections is stored in the folder ' system' . I once lost my collections and just copied the whole backup-folder 'system' to my Kindle and it worked.
Don''t know if it will work for a comple new Kindle though.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
I had about 400 books on my old Kindle when it crapped out. It was just a broken 5-way knob so I was able to copy my files out. When copying over to the new Kindle, the collections were gone. But there's an option to import collections from another Kindle. From Amazon's site:

To import a collection from another Kindle:
-Select "Archived Items" from the Kindle Home screen.
-Select "Add Other Device Collections" from the Archived Items page.
-Select the desired collection to import and select "ok" to confirm.
Note: Importing a collection from another device does not import the books or other items to your Kindle if they aren't downloaded already. However, books already on your Kindle that are associated with a collection will automatically appear under that collection name on your Home screen.

Worked like a charm for me, even for books I didn't get through Amazon. So I guess the short answer is that your collection info is backed up automatically.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Cpl Punishment
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Every few weeks, or after downloading and sorting a lot of books, I just back the whole contents of my Kindle up on my PC. I think the file for collections is stored in the folder ' system' . I once lost my collections and just copied the whole backup-folder 'system' to my Kindle and it worked.
Don''t know if it will work for a comple new Kindle though.
Good idea....Im on it !!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

You could probably also just use an emulator like VMWARE or Sun Virtual Box (FREE) or rather than installing windows directly on your mac, and mount the kindle as a share in the virtual machine, would be pretty easy... You can actually have it take control of USB devices directly as well if you want (thought this would not be necessary in the case of the kindle)

Basically you just create an image, install windows on the VM, and you can run windows programs and such without rebooting, everything runs from within the application.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #11
Albright
Albright began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The freeware options might work, but the commercial options are better supported, and there's such competition between the two main commercial options - VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop - that they often have special promotions on their respective products. If you're looking to get in to the virtualization game, I suggest signing up for both of their mailing lists and pouncing on the next one to send a good deal your way.

Either way, you still have to buy Windows, though, wich is oddly expensive even for its cheapest consumer versions.
Albright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #12
curstpriest
Confused

Not at all, you do not have to buy windows....

And sun virtual box is very well supported. I find it to work as well as vmware workstation, I have used it on both pc and linux.

Download the microsoft windows TEST images. They are full versions of windows used for evaluating the OS. They have versions for testing versions of IE and other aspects. Regardless they expire every few months, at which point you can just download the next image. If all you are doing is simple stuff, and you don't own/want to buy a copy of windows, this can be a good option for you. Just configure your VM to have a seperate partition/drive that will persist and store all of your applications/files there if you go this route.

Good luck =)

Current image Expires January 11, 2011

http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/e...displaylang=en
Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Cpl Punishment
Guru

I have VmFusion and bootcamp, with Win Xp...But prefer Mac OS....Thanks all !!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
I have VmFusion and bootcamp, with Win Xp...But prefer Mac OS....Thanks all !!
the file you want is in systems folder/directory named collections.json
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
Cpl Punishment
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
the file you want is in systems folder/directory named collections.json
Thanks....

Ill just copy that for a backup then....