Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre 0.7.0 released!

Almost a year has passed since calibre 0.6.0. It's now time for calibre 0.7.0.

A more complete list of new features is available at http://calibre-ebook.com/new-in/seven. An excerpt:

Quote:
It has been nearly a year since calibre 0.6.0 was released and calibre has come a long way since then. calibre has always been amazingly flexible. 0.6 was all about bringing that flexibility to the conversion engine and device support. Today calibre supports conversion from/to dozens of formats and can connect to scores of devices. The focus of 0.7 is bringing that same flexibility to the calibre User Interface.

To that end, users now have the ability to freely resize all the major User Interface elements, add their own custom metadata to the book list, and add their own categories to the Tag Browser.

Another major area of improvement is performance. Various parts of calibre have seen optimization and caching improvements. Startup times and large library performance have been dramatically improved. With a library of ten thousand books, you will see an improvement of between 10 and a 100 times in the speed of startup and common operations like editing metadata.

When connecting to devices, calibre now caches the metadata it reads from the files on the device. This means that on subsequent connects calibre will build the list of books on the device very fast. If you like to keep large collections of books on your device, you will find this feature a godsend.
You can watch a video of the new user interface improvements at http://calibre-ebook.com/demo#tutorials.

As always, get the new release from: http://calibre-ebook.com/download
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The website still has the same message about "if you're installing from a version older than 0.6.17...". Is that still true for this? Or should we uninstall any 0.6 version first?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I can see my iPad!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The website still has the same message about "if you're installing from a version older than 0.6.17...". Is that still true for this? Or should we uninstall any 0.6 version first?
yes it's still true. If you're upgrading from version before 0.6.17 you need to uninstall first. For versions after 0.6.17 you're fine
Old 06-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
woo hoo! Can't wait to try it out!
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Glad to see its release.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Kudos to the development team on the release! Also a great job on that video going over the new features Kovid, well done!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Demonthus
Demonthus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Hi I have made an account just to say this: 0.7.0 completely screwed up my reader's collection organization.

I've had about 700 works organized into 10 collections at this point, using criteria such as new fiction, old fiction, science, etc. Due to my e-reader's slow refresh rate, it helps to know exactly where books are located.

However, this latest version of calibre automatically "updated metadata" on my books, effectively turning 10 collections into 200. My previously meticulously created collections have been destroyed, and the books have been scattered to the wind. A good deal of my books had no metadata, so calibre put each one in it's own collection based on title. Shall I find a novel in "Pesticides", "Man-Woman Relationships, Drama" or perhaps "Sisters -- Fiction"? Needless to say it defeats the concept of collections if each collection has only a couple books.

Of course, I don't want to be entirely pessimistic so I offer the suggestions that you create a setting for automatically re-organizing the entire reader. I know the easiest thing would have been to not update calibre, or (God forbid) stuck to Sony's Reader Library.

Anyway, I'll return to spending the next several hours deleting books and re-adding them

Last edited by Demonthus; 06-04-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Demonthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre turns tags into collections. That has always been the case. You can turn off that behavior by going to Preferences->Plugins->Device interface plugins and customizing the SONY plugin to not use tags to create collections.

The only difference in 0.7 is that calibre automatically recognizes books on your device that are also in your library and updates their metadata. Most people would consider that a good thing.

I've even added a note about that in the what's new page under Incompatible changes
Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonthus View Post
However, this latest version of calibre automatically "updated metadata" on my books, effectively turning 10 collections into 200.
Sounds like something stemming from the combined device interface plugin for Sony devices. The documentation said if you had changed the plugin you would need to redo it.

Quote:
My previously meticulously created collections have been destroyed, and the books have been scattered to the wind. A good deal of my books had no metadata, so calibre put each one in it's own collection based on title. Shall I find a novel in "Pesticides", "Man-Woman Relationships, Drama" or perhaps "Sisters -- Fiction"? Needless to say it defeats the concept of collections if each collection has only a couple books.
Assuming you had a version more current then 0.6.17 updating Calibre should not have affected your collections within the calibre library. What version did you update from?

Quote:
Of course, I don't want to be entirely pessimistic so I offer the suggestions that you create a setting for automatically re-organizing the entire reader.
I have upgraded with no problem but I have yet to connect my Sony device. I'm going to hook it up now and move around a few books to see if I can help replicate your problem.

Quote:
Anyway, I'll return to spending the next several hours deleting books and re-adding them
Deleting and re-adding them from your reader or from Calibre itself?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-04-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
Demonthus

Quote:
The only difference in 0.7 is that calibre automatically recognizes books on your device that are also in your library and updates their metadata. Most people would consider that a good thing.
Well, at first I thought it was because the Sony Reader automatically puts tags and series into separate collections. However, the reader library doesn't do this, only calibre. I think this is why: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...he-sony-reader - "When you add tags to a book’s metadata, those tags are turned into collections when you upload the book to the SONY reader."

Quote:
Assuming you had a version more current then 0.6.17 updating Calibre should not have affected your collections within the calibre library. What version did you update from?
Whatever the most recent update was, I just updated within the last week.

Quote:
Deleting and re-adding them from your reader or from Calibre itself?
From the reader, as the collections stick around even if they're empty. I figure it's faster to format the device and add books in batches than go through and re-organize each and every book and collection.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Well, at first I thought it was because the Sony Reader automatically puts tags and series into separate collections. However, the reader library doesn't do this, only calibre. I think this is why: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...he-sony-reader - "When you add tags to a book’s metadata, those tags are turned into collections when you upload the book to the SONY reader."
This is not new it has been the way Calibre works for at least 18 months. Have you been using both Calibre and Sony's reader software to send books to your device?

Quote:
From the reader, as the collections stick around even if they're empty. I figure it's faster to format the device and add books in batches than go through and re-organize each and every book and collection.
If your tags(collections) in calibre was accurate then you can use Calibre to remove the books in your reader then highlight and send them back to your reader.

What were you doing when you noticed extra collections?

I have unchecked download tags in my metadata download plugins (under preferences - Plugins) in each Google, isbnDB, and Amazon. This stops tags from automatically being added when you download metadata.

I hope you work out what occurred to cause this hiccup.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-04-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
Demonthus

Quote:
This is not new it has been the way Calibre works for at least 18 months. Have you been using both Calibre and Sony's reader software to send books to your device?
Yes I have, for stuff like books from Project Gutenberg I'd use the Sony software and add all of them to one collection because it was faster than importing into calibre since they were already in epub format.
Quote:
What were you doing when you noticed extra collections?
Well I had just update calibre, so calibre is what I was doing!
Quote:
I have unchecked download tags in my metadata download plugins (under preferences - Plugins) in each Google, isbnDB, and Amazon. This stops tags from automatically being added when you download metadata.
I just did that, thanks for the tip.

Is there any way I can edit the metadata of books on the reader which are not in the calibre library? (800 books and 450 collections, haha)
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #14
Alan P.
Alan P. began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Calibre .7 application not loading...anything...

Hi,
Calibre user since late '08, had every version, just updated today (6/4) to .7 and... nothing. The icon doc jumps briefly, then nothing, and double clicking on the program in the applications window does nothing either. Restarted, same thing. Using: G5 Power PC w/ OS 10.4.11
Help! I love and need this program working, wish I didn't overwrite the old version...

Thanks in advance - A.P.
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I missed this post by Kovid. No more mystery it performed as expected.

Quote:
Yes I have, for stuff like books from Project Gutenberg I'd use the Sony software and add all of them to one collection because it was faster than importing into calibre since they were already in epub format.
When you try to use both Calibre and Sony software to manage books on your device your asking for trouble.

Quote:
Well I had just update calibre, so calibre is what I was doing!
You were obviously new to calibre because in any recent previous version as soon as you transferred any books via Calibre you would have noticed a bunch of collections added to your reader created from tags.

Kovid did document this new feature and linked to it in the first post of this thread.
Quote:
Incompatible changes
  • all the SONY drivers have been combined into a single driver, so if you previously customized a SONY driver, you will have to redo the customization.
    Also note that, calibre turns tags into collections, so it will create new collections for existing books on your reader, if they have tags but don't already have collections on the device.
    You can turn off this behavior by going to Preferences-> Plugins-> Device Interface plugins and customizing the SONY plugin.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-05-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Tags
0.7.0, calibre, new release