Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
dhuhtala
dhuhtala began at the beginning.

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro 2
Thumbs down Kobo pulled their Windows 8 app! [Now available again]

I've been struggling with the very poorly developed Windows 8 Kobo app for the last year. I finally got it working on a Microsoft Surface RT tablet. I upgraded to a Surface Pro 2 and went to download the app from the Windows Store - and couldn't find it! I went back to my RT - still there, still working, but it's nowhere in sight on my Pro 2 tablet!

I contacted tech support and they informed me that it's been removed from the Store - and there is no estimated timeframe to have it added back in.

All I can say is...wow...this company continues to shoot itself in the foot every chance they get! I had originally supported Kobo because it was a Canadian company - but it isn't anymore. I no longer see any reason not to switch to Kindle for my e-books in the future...and I'll be sure to quite buying Kobo e-book readers too, I guess.

The company is just too unreliable to invest anything more...if they can't even keep the mainstream Windows app working, I have zero faith in their future...!
dhuhtala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I don't even use the desktop app, I read my books in ADE when I do use the pc
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Yes, I'm struggling to remember the last time I opened the Desktop app. Now that current devices can be registered/updated wirelessly, other software does everything I need far better than Kobo Desktop ever did.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
A little of topic but I really wish there was an app for the surface that will allow me to read my ibooks I have a few cookbooks I'd like to access
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I think the real issue here is that you're using Windows 8!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
A little of topic but I really wish there was an app for the surface that will allow me to read my ibooks I have a few cookbooks I'd like to access
Good luck with that.

What you could do is liberate those books (hard to do for ibooks, but Requiem is out there) and then read them in Nook or Freda or other epub reading apps. But the chances of an Apple-made or endorsed ibooks for Win8 are pretty slim.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Not much choice on a Surface tablet. Might as well complain of being "stuck" with OS X on a Mac.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would buy books on a platform that will restrict what platforms you read it on -- iBooks is the ONLY one that does that!

It's shooting yourself in the foot.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would buy books on a platform that will restrict what platforms you read it on -- iBooks is the ONLY one that does that!

It's shooting yourself in the foot.
All my ibooks were freebies
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
All my ibooks were freebies
Ah, a valid excuse! Just so long as you didn't spend money down that black hole, you haven't actually LOST anything.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #11
dhuhtala
dhuhtala began at the beginning.

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro 2
No, not the desktop app...the tablet app, the "Metro" app, the Modern UI App...whatever you want to call it now. I'm not talking about the desktop application - I don't use that either. The Metro app is the only way to use Kobo on Windows 8 tablets like the Surface RT tablets. You can't install the desktop apps on a Surface RT. This is equivalent to pulling Kobo out of the Google Play store or from iTunes Store. In my mind, not having my main e-book reader on my tablet would make the tablet nearly useless to me. This is a really big deal - both for Windows 8 tablets and for Kobo. They're essentially not supporting the Windows 8 tablet platform1
dhuhtala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuhtala View Post
No, not the desktop app...the tablet app, the "Metro" app, the Modern UI App...whatever you want to call it now. I'm not talking about the desktop application - I don't use that either. The Metro app is the only way to use Kobo on Windows 8 tablets like the Surface RT tablets. You can't install the desktop apps on a Surface RT. This is equivalent to pulling Kobo out of the Google Play store or from iTunes Store. In my mind, not having my main e-book reader on my tablet would make the tablet nearly useless to me. This is a really big deal - both for Windows 8 tablets and for Kobo. They're essentially not supporting the Windows 8 tablet platform1
It may be a pain in the rear, but have you tried downloading your Kobo books as epubs and opening them in the Nook app? It can sideload, and I assume (but haven't verified) that it can read ADEPT DRMed books. Not as convenient as syncing your books directly from Kobo, but it may be a decent interim solution until Kobo can get their app back up to par and in the store again.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuhtala View Post
You said yourself in your initial post that it was "very poorly developed". That presumably is why it's been temporarily removed from the store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Another temp solution for some might be the Kobo Instant Reader...

http://read.kobobooks.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows 8 surface