Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
bongorash
Enthusiast
bongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura 1, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Back Button on Glo ?

Hi there, new owner of Glo (about a month) and loving it, but one thing that irritates me is the apparent lack of a 'back' button on the Glo. For example if I go into Shelves and choose a shelf and then choose a book if I want to go back to that particular shelf I have to go back into the menu system, choose shelves then particular shelf then choose another book.

Unless I'm missing something (being a noob that's entirely possible) but this is my first 'touch' ereader why isn't there a back key (or menu option) or previous menu key rather than having to go back to the main menu and start again.
bongorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No, you aren't missing something, we all are This was something removed from the firmware around the time the Go was released. I've never understood why they removed such a useful function.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Barneyabz
Enthusiast
Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo and Kindle 3
I know. The one function I really miss having moved to the glo from the Kindle keyboard. Maybe they'll introduce a back function in a future firmware.
Barneyabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've never understood why they removed such a useful function.
Me neither, I miss it every time I use my Glo.
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
A proper back button always available is great for easily getting out of all sorts of mistaken touchy events. Better use for vacant space always at top left of screen. Menu boxes have arrows for back/forward buttons, could work on every screen but back button might be better.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
sos_sifou
sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
And I was thinking all the time about the back button ! Where is it?
I am also a new owner of the kobo glo (loving it), it's been a week and I was looking for the back button, but i didn't want to create a thread about it fearing that somebody will laugh at me!
This is the worst thing Kobo can get from IOS (only home button available).
Kobo is about "openness" VS kindle "closeness", just like android vs IOS, give us some android features and take our money.
It's not only weird not having a back button on a such device, it's awkward!
sos_sifou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo does not use Android OS for their eink ereaders, but uses Linux OS for their eink ereaders. Kobo does use Android OS for current Kobo Arc Tablets and old Kobo Vox Tablets. Kobo has ereader App for Iphone and ereader App for Android.

Mobileread Kobo Tablets Forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=246
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Interestingly, the back button still exists if you follow links within an epub. I recently experimented with the epub edition of my local paper (if you have a subscription to the electronic edition of any Postmedia paper you can export it as a watermarked epub) and it relies heavily on links. (All of which were pretty easy to activate on my Touch.) If you follow a link, calling up the menu has the old "back" feature.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
sos_sifou
sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Kobo does not use Android OS for their eink ereaders, but uses Linux OS for their eink ereaders. Kobo does use Android OS for current Kobo Arc Tablets and old Kobo Vox Tablets. Kobo has ereader App for Iphone and ereader App for Android.

Mobileread Kobo Tablets Forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=246
Hahha of course they don't! I know, i just want some android features like the back button for instance!

And if they make an android e-reader with a good e-ink screen, it's a must have for me, I'll buy it without questions.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
sos_sifou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Interestingly, the back button still exists if you follow links within an epub. I recently experimented with the epub edition of my local paper (if you have a subscription to the electronic edition of any Postmedia paper you can export it as a watermarked epub) and it relies heavily on links. (All of which were pretty easy to activate on my Touch.) If you follow a link, calling up the menu has the old "back" feature.
But we want it for navigation through menus! It's an advanced UI after all, a back button is a must.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sos_sifou View Post
But we want it for navigation through menus! It's an advanced UI after all, a back button is a must.
The Mini had a back button in December. It is still there as I have glimpsed it twice before it disappeared under a different menu item or is blanked out.(lower left corner)

They haven't taken it away they have just lost it and can't find it I think
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote