Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
Shelve that cannot bo removed

I just initialized my son's new glow.

We have already several touch/glow in the family, so the other devices have already been sunc'ed with kobo desktop

So, after first sync on kobo desktop, and update to 2.3.1, the new glow ended up with 5 pages of empty shelves that I had to remove manually. That in itself is a real pain.

But 2 shelves were present with the same name, and no matter what I try, I cannot remove them. I have tried renaming one, but that does not work either.

It's really stupid to create on one devices shelves that were present on another one. Each device should have its own shelve list.

I only have side loaded epubs on the other devices.

Any hint for :
1) Removing those 2 empty shelves
2) Preventing shelves from 1 device from being created to another device every time I sync on of our readers.

Would be welcome.
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The only way I have found to remove the duplicate same named shelf was via direct editing with a database tool of the actual database on the Kobo. Stupid I know but.... unfortunately, Kobo have not provided anyother way.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by magphil View Post
If you only sideload books, it's best to give each Kobo device in the family a different log in email address. That way, you will not end up with each other's shelves. The shelves are synced to the server (and sometimes multiplied there due to a bug).

So, I would log out of the new Glo (from settings), and then log in again with a new Kobo account.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
Quote:
Any hint for :
Would be welcome.
Calibre has a "remove empty shelves" options in the Kobo driver page. It might edit the kobo's onboard database for you. It's under "Preferences -> change calibre behaviour -> advanced -> plugins -> device interface plugins -> KoboTouch -> customise plugins -> delete empty bookshelves".

Next time you sideload something via Calibre, it should get rid of the empty shelf.
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
We have already several touch/glow in the family, so the other devices have already been sunc'ed with kobo desktop

So, after first sync on kobo desktop, and update to 2.3.1, the new glow ended up with 5 pages of empty shelves that I had to remove manually. That in itself is a real pain.

But 2 shelves were present with the same name, and no matter what I try, I cannot remove them. I have tried renaming one, but that does not work either.
This is a bug on the Kobo server that sync books and other details between devices.

It's really stupid to create on one devices shelves that were present on another one. Each device should have its own shelve list.
You are using the same Kobo account on each device. That mean you have actually asked for this to happen. A sync with Kobo (via app or WiFi) copies information between the device and their server. Syncing another device with the server will copy the information to that device. The information that is copied is the kepubs, the reading state and annotations for the kepubs and the shelves.

As Mrs_Often said, the answer is to use a different account on each device.
Quote:

Any hint for :
2) Preventing shelves from 1 device from being created to another device every time I sync on of our readers.
The fixes suggest by other should work,
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert