Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #46
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
What do you mean? I'm very good in percentages.... Just like in statistics..

Like, what's the change you throw a 6 with a dice???

50%, you throw it or you don't.....
It works better when you use the correct wording for the context ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #47
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It works better when you use the correct wording for the context ...
change, chance........what the .......

That's what you get with a non native speaker.

I'll post my comments in Dutch from now on if you like that better
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #48
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
I vote for percentages on behalf of all the semi-autistic males out there. We like to watch progress bars on software installations – even better on disk defragmentation.

We like percentages on the bars because we can calculate how much time is left as a multiple of how much time has passed. See how quickly it drops from 8 times to 7 times to 6 times... And if that gets boring as the fractions get further apart you can reset the clock at 50% and start calculating how much time is left as a multiple of the time that has passed since you got to 50%. Or you can calculate the rate of progress you need to finish the book by 10 o’clock and then you can calculate how far you are ahead/behind schedule and translate that into minutes. And then you can...

Oh. Right. I’ll go and take the pills.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 AM   #49
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
It happened to me a couple of times to loose my place in a book. First time was my fault, I happened to "double click" and messed up with the menus; second time my Cybook crashed, and didn't rembember anything of the last session of reading.
In both cases it would have been very useful to know the page number, so to be able to successfully use the "go to page" function: it would have spared me a lot of page turns..
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
It happened to me a couple of times to loose my place in a book. First time was my fault, I happened to "double click" and messed up with the menus; second time my Cybook crashed, and didn't rembember anything of the last session of reading.
In both cases it would have been very useful to know the page number, so to be able to successfully use the "go to page" function: it would have spared me a lot of page turns..
Elena,

Page numbers in Mobi are BROKEN. Even if you DID know the page number, you COULDN'T use it with the "goto page" function to get back to the same point in the book; that's exactly what we've been saying!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #51
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Elena,

Page numbers in Mobi are BROKEN. Even if you DID know the page number, you COULDN'T use it with the "goto page" function to get back to the same point in the book; that's exactly what we've been saying!

well, I see they are not precise, but what do you mean by "broken"?
I tried with a book and if i use "goto last page" and "goto page ..[number of total pages], it works well.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
well, I see they are not precise, but what do you mean by "broken"?
I tried with a book and if i use "goto last page" and "goto page ..[number of total pages], it works well.
Try this experiment:

1. Go to the start of a book and page through it until you reach a recognisable point, eg the start of a chapter, counting the pages as you do so.

2. Go back to the start of the book and then do a "Goto Page" with the number from step 1. You'll find that it does NOT take you to the same point in the book. Even if the Gen3 displayed page numbers, you couldn't therefore use them to return to the same page in the book.

This bug exists in ALL versions of the MobiPocket Reader. "Goto page x" will always take you to the same point in the book, but it's a completely DIFFERENT point to the one that you get to by paging to "page x" a page at a time. In a long book, the two points can be hundreds of pages apart.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:37 AM   #53
elena
Connoisseur

You're right HarryT. Too bad, because on the desktop reader it works.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Nope - the bug exists on the Windows Desktop Mobi Reader too. It exists on ALL implementations of the Mobi Reader - it appears to be something deep inside the Mobi "engine" that all the different versions of the reader use.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 AM   #55
elena
Connoisseur

You're right again ^_^
I tried and it worked, but I used hyperlinks, going to the start of a chapter through the table of contents.
If I do it by flipping pages it's like on the cybook
Old 08-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The bug in page numbering stems from the 64k blocks that Mobipocket uses and the way they are implemented. In order to do it so page numbers actually worked, they'd have to change things. For example, every time you moved around in a file, they'd have to start from the beginning and count to get to the spot you were at. That could take a while.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You keep saying that, Jon, but I see no reason at all to believe that this bug has the slightest connection with the fact that Mobi files are stored in 64k blocks.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #58
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The bug in page numbering stems from the 64k blocks that Mobipocket uses and the way they are implemented.
Please explain this in detail. Which part of the implementation of the handling of block is responsible and why whould an implemntation not using block be better?

Personally I am convinced that the problem is that you do not know how many bytes that it takes to render each page. To jump to a specific page you do not have the CPU to render each page to reach this page so you get an error. But what that have to to with 65k blocks I cannot understand.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Tommy - I agree entirely with you.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that Mobipocket moves backwards and forwards in 64k blocks. So if you jump to a specific chanpter, it's going to go frward and back from there in 64k blocks. Now if you go to start reading, it's gojng to go backwards and forward in 64k blocks.

Jump to chapter 5. Then go to page 20
Jump to start reading and go to page 20

You will be on a different part of the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote