Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #61
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
While we continue investigating the issue, anyone using WEP should be aware that the standard was deprecated in 2004 (and for good reasons), so if you have the option to not use WEP please consider switching to WPA1/2.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #62
kwhumphreys
kwhumphreys began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
64 character?

WEP keys are supposed to be 5, 10, 13, 26 characters long. See this table:

Code:
40-or 64-bit ASCII WEP code has five characters
40- or 64-bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
128-bit ASCII WEP code has 13 characters
128-bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
I have WPA2, not WEP.
kwhumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #63
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
I have a D-link dir-655 with a 17 alphanumeric key WPA. It works on several other wifi networks but not very well on the home one as listed abouve. It has connected but only once and for only a short time. All other devices (iphone,itouch,computer x 4) all connect to this wifi no troubles.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #64
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
While we continue investigating the issue, anyone using WEP should be aware that the standard was deprecated in 2004 (and for good reasons), so if you have the option to not use WEP please consider switching to WPA1/2.
I dont think the issue would arrise from WEP. i think it is very unlikely to be. What I think is happening is the Kobo is very slow to respond. Try the home button for example it should almost instant but instead it takes a fair amount of time for the unit to do more then fold the corner of the page down and present the home screen. I think kobo needs to work on response of the unit and I can see a potential to speed the unit up considerably based on the cpu used.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #65
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
If anyone in this thread is willing to join our beta firmware program we might be able to help you diagnose the problems with Wifi. PM me your Google Account if you're interested.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #66
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
If anyone in this thread is willing to join our beta firmware program we might be able to help you diagnose the problems with Wifi. PM me your Google Account if you're interested.
not everyone has a google account and i dont see why you just want a google account...
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #67
Zarvox
Zarvox began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Howdy Zarvox, we tested it internally with a Mac Mini and a WEP network and it appears to work. Is there something special about your configuration?
Thanks for your reply. There doesn't seem to be anything special. 2 were core duo processors and the third (which I'm using to test the problem with) is a core 2 duo machine, about 1 year old.

I tried using a 128 bit, 13 ascii password (qwertyuiopasd), and still no success. I also tried using 10 characters under 40 bit and still nada. I also tried forcing it to channels 1 and 5, but still no luck. I'm using the "Internet Sharing" control panel in Mac OSX 10.6.7, and as mentioned before, it works no problem when I don't use a password.

If you know of any way I can use a WPA password on the Mac Mini, I'd be happy to switch to that.
Zarvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #68
slowell
slowell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader touch
Ok so I just changed to WPA2, 20 character passphrase, entered the network manually (just in case as I don't broadcast SSID) and it connected right away! We'll see if it lasts...
slowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #69
slowell
slowell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader touch
LOL...Ok so that got me connected but lost my account (on the reader) and running really slow. Plugged into laptop, started desktop client and got a message indicating reader software corrupt, please perform a factory reset. Sigh...

Reset done, updates downloaded, sync'd, wifi details entered and.....wait for it....incorrect login! Grrrrrr!

The saga continues....
slowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #70
Captain_Obvious
Captain_Obvious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
I have a linksys WRT610N with an 8 alphanumeric character wpa encryption. I can only connect randomly it seems. All my other devices connect to the router without a hitch.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #71
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
I can only connect randomly it seems. All my other devices connect to the router without a hitch.
Time to make a distinction. Hardware of software problem. Or simply
users that connect improperly.
If the next fw version solves the issue, hurah. If not, I would consider
power consumption. I assume it is "n" version. Having ole good "g" is
not step back, if makes it to our liking.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #72
Jambar
Jambar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I just thought I would add that I bought a Kobo Touch today, downloaded the software and configured everything, only to find that it is the only device I own that will not connect to my wireless router.

I have a D-Link DIR-825 router using WPA with a 64 character hex key.

I've entered the password a half-dozen times, so I know I'm not entering it incorrectly.

I tried both scanning the networks and typing in the SSID manually.

I've reset the device to factory defaults and it still doesn't work.

Unlike others that at least get it to work intermittently, I'm at a complete loss.

The error I get is "incorrect password". It finds routers, so I know the wifi adapter is working in the device, so it must be a software issue.

I'm at a total loss here.
Jambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #73
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sooty's WiFi when we did a factory reset did not come up. It worked when I manually typed in the SSID and password.

Router(s): ASUS-RT N16 and Linksys WRT54GL
Firmware: USB Tomato Firmware v1.28.9052 MIPSR2-beta23 K26 USB vpn3.6
and Tomato Firmware v1.28.8752 ND Std
Security: WPA / WPA2 Personal; AES encryption; 7 character ASCII string

(At time of setup was about 3 feet from the main router; the ASUS)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #74
Jambar
Jambar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I fixed mine.

My original settings were
WPA/WPA2-Personal; AES or TKIP encryption; 64 character key

I changed it to
WPA only; TKIP encryption; 11 character key (alphanumeric)

All is right in the world.

I think the Touch has trouble handling either one or a combination of WPA2, AES and the 64 character keys.
Jambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #75
iamstillvince
iamstillvince began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Me 2

Just had to register and get in on this: i have had no luck with kobo customer service so hopefully i can find something through here:
I use a dlink dir-625 with wpa2 personal, 26 character key . I have tried everything i can think of, factory reset, manual, display pass on and off etc. I have had no luck, keeps saying wrong password. I can however connect to unsecured networks in area with no problem.
I emailed kobo but they said they are not working on any firmware and i will have to downgrade my connection to lower security and try a g only connection or there is nothing they can do. I have had no issues with any other devices.
Hopefully someone can figure this out or make Kobo realize there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Love everything else about it
iamstillvince is offline   Reply With Quote