Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
rdy
rdy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7thGen
cannot connect "as Wireless Device."

I have the calibre software on my desktop and the calibre companion on my kindle fire hd. I am trying to wireless add and manage books on my kindle.

I started "wireless device connections" in Calibre(the software not the app) and tapped connect "as wireless device" in the Calibre companion app on my kindle but the calibre companion app fails to connect every time I try to form a wireless connection.

I did not have this problem until I updated the Calibre software on my computer.

Can someone assist me and did anyone else run into this problem after the most recent update.

rdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
rdy

Exclamation calibre.companion.debug.log.txt

I have attached the bug log hopefully it will help.
Please help me solve this.

Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre.companion.debug.log.txt (85.6 KB, 169 views)
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 01:36 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
"WDConnection: no servers found"

did you start/ enable wireless device connection in the new calibre install ?
does calibre confirm it is running ?
( I don't have the new v4 so I cannot say exactly what you should see on menus... )

Last edited by stumped; 10-17-2019 at 01:38 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
rdy

The wireless device connection was/is enabled but it doesn't seem to be working.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. can you set it manually?
I use only Content Sever but I always have to set the address manually in CC on a new device. the auto detect thing never works on my system
is there an option in CC to type in that you want wireless device to connect to 192.168.0.16 ( which is where your content server seems to be ?
you should only need to tell it once, then it should remember
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Wireless connections work fine for me with calibre 4.

Given that it worked with an older version of calibre, the problem is almost certainly the antivirus on your PC deciding that calibre 4 is evil. See this FAQ, in particular sections 2 and 3 of the "Troubleshooting" section.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
rdy

I have turned off my vpn and antivirus and I looked at the firewall but I still cannot wireless connect. I also tried manual inputting/setting the IP address but that did not work either. I checked my devices wireless connection and it is connected to a wireless network. I was able to browse the internet and download an app from amazon just fine.

I am not sure what the problem could be.

When I go to turn on the wireless connection in Calibre the dialog box shows multiple Calibre IP addresses. Is it supposed to do that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-17 103313.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	174305  
Old 10-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy View Post
When I go to turn on the wireless connection in Calibre the dialog box shows multiple Calibre IP addresses. Is it supposed to do that?
That is not normal. It means that your pc is connected to 6 different networks. The first question is "Why do you have so many?" The second question is "Which one of them is WiFi?"

You also need to be certain that:
  • your wireless system is not running in guest mode or the device isn't connected to a guest network.
  • if your PC is running windows then that the WiFi network is configured as private
  • that your PC and device aren't connected to different WiFi bands unless your WiFi router transfers traffic between them
  • that there aren't any antivirus dregs left behind.
Section 5 of the FAQ discusses connection troubleshooting.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

that log showed CC seeing calibre content server on 192.168.0.16
can you not use those same values for wireless device ?
is that one of the calibre IP addresses shown when u select "start wireless device connection" on share/connect tab

as Chaley said, seeing multiple addresses there is strange, e.g. all I see there is a single address which i know is this PCs local LAN address 192.168.0.72
post all that you see, or a screengrab of that interface window
do you have more than one network card installed ?

PS. someone connect me if wrong but AFAIK you can use "connect wireless device" even if the library is on a wired only PC, just like I do with content server. My library PC has no wifi turned on, but wifi on my CC tablet connects to PC on wired LAN ok

Last edited by stumped; 10-18-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
is that one of the calibre IP addresses shown when u select "start wireless device connection" on share/connect tab
This will work as long as both CC and the calibre PC are on that subnet, and that the calibre PC's network interface is set to "private". My guess is that CC's auto-connect won't work because both CC and calibre can get confused about which interface to talk to.
Quote:
as Chaley said, seeing multiple addresses there is strange, e.g. all I see there is a single address which i know is this PCs local LAN address 192.168.0.72
Multiple IP addresses can come from VPNs (TAP, miniport, etc), multiple cabled connections, and multiple wireless adapters. There are some unusual situations where a single interface has multiple IP addresses, but this usually requires a net admin to do something explicit like set up IP aliasing.
Quote:
PS. someone connect me if wrong but AFAIK you can use "connect wireless device" even if the library is on a wired only PC, just like I do with content server. My library PC has no wifi turned on, but wifi on my CC tablet connects to PC on wired LAN ok
Absolutely correct. In fact this is (was?) the most common configuration. The main "trick" is to be sure that the wireless router puts the cable on the same IP network as WiFi; normally this happens automatically but guest networking can mess it up. Second is to be sure that the wireless router will route wifi onto cable; it won't if wireless isolation is turned on. Finally, the cabled network must be "private" if the PC is windows.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post

The same address as the CONTENT server needs to be used (if that is working). All that is different is the Port# (9090 is the default)
WDC connects via the local Network (in this case 192.168.0.x). It does not care where the Wifi A/P is.
IMHO Having the 'server' wired is the best , most solid, solution

OP
Open your WINDOWS Network settings: Ethernet. What do you see there under IPV4 for your Wired adapter?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	W10Network.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	174338  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Multiple IP addresses can come from VPNs (TAP, miniport, etc), .
one of the reasons I've never wanted to have VPN on my main PC is that sort of knock on effect, and thus having to set up exclusions / workarounds or remember to disable them.

another is that things like BBC iplayer can suddenly conclude I've left the country so they deny me the (UK only) service, and other membership sites can quickly go bad if it looks like you are sharing an account with someone in a different part of the world on a different IP.

last time i experimented, Microsoft suddenly locked me out of my Outlook E-Mail cos they decided it looked suspicious that I was accessing from a UK IP and a foreign one; getting that restored was a pain
Old 10-21-2019, 01:34 AM   #13
rdy

This is what I have tried so far:

I have disabled all my other network connections such as the virtual networks attached to my virtual machines.
I have completely disabled both of the VPNs I use.
I checked my antivirus and my firewall there was an exception for calibre already made.
I have tried manually setting port and IP address in the wireless device connection settings in CC.
I tried wirelessly connecting to Calibre with my firewall and antivirus turned off but that did not work.
I have re-installed Calibre and Calibre Companion.
I have reset my router and re-booted my kindle.
I have also checked my IPV4 it's the same as the Calibre IP address.

I read the CC faqs on wirelessly connecting to Calibre.

Nothing is working and I am not exactly sure what to do next. I read throught the trouble shooting article I have attached the debugging log from Calibre(not Calibre Companion).

While trying to figure this out I noticed another issue. The three dots on the connect and share icon/button are not lighting up when I start the wireless device connection. The dot usually turn green as soon as I turn on the wireless connection function. I have attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	174411  
Attached Files
File Type: txt debuglog.txt (2.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 02:12 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Quote:

While trying to figure this out I noticed another issue. The three dots on the connect and share icon/button are not lighting up when I start the wireless device connection. The dot usually turn green as soon as I turn on the wireless connection function. I have attached a picture.
that strongly suggests something running on your PC is blocking calibre ( not CC)
put PC into safe mode & retry
if it then works, you know to look for something else that runs at start up to be the culprit

but note: i have 3 green dots lit and I only have content server started, not wireless
if I toggle my content server on/off all 3 dots go off, come back on

can u confirm if your content server is on or off, & if it works when on.

a picture of the relevant Calibre( not CC) settings may help with troubleshooting
Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This is what I have tried so far:
I read the CC faqs on wirelessly connecting to Calibre.
Did you actually do the things the FAQ suggests?

For example, have you:
  • FAQ 2.1: verified that the Windows "Network" being used to connect the device and calibre is "Private"? Go to Control Panel / Network & Internet and check what is written under Network Status. It should say "Private Network".
  • FAQ 5.1: checked that the calibre computer can "ping" the device?
  • FAQ 5.2: checked if calibre "hears" the connection request?
  • FAQ 5.5: checked using "Safe Mode" that there isn't some software on the calibre computer blocking connections?
Something not in the FAQ but useful to try. In calibre, start the Content Server. Make note of the port you use. On your device, start a web browser and try to connect to calibre (http://IP-ADDRESS:PORT/). If that succeeds then the network is OK but something is probably blocking the wireless connection port. If it fails then either the network setup isn't letting connections through or something on the calibre computer is blocking all incoming connections.