Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #61
Kamikakushi
Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Thank you. At step 4, when I try to update to factory image, the result is a broken screen (picture attached). If I click on the white rectangle, it restarts and gives the same result. Is this some sort of boot loop? Sorry for my noobness, I just couldn't identify the problem.

Data: G090KB, 5.8.10.1, SO removed, parental control and passcode turned off, airplane mode turned on, has been registered with an Amazon account, MD5 hash of the .bin file matched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180114_021913.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	161512  
Kamikakushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikakushi View Post
Thank you. At step 4, when I try to update to factory image, the result is a broken screen (picture attached). If I click on the white rectangle, it restarts and gives the same result. Is this some sort of boot loop? Sorry for my noobness, I just couldn't identify the problem.

Data: G090KB, 5.8.10.1, SO removed, parental control and passcode turned off, airplane mode turned on, has been registered with an Amazon account, MD5 hash of the .bin file matched.
If it is running 5.8.10.1 then the special image did not install.
Put the special image at the visible root of the Kindle, then reboot it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #63
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
As above, once more put the special image to the usb-root and reboot.
If failed, try other Amazon firmware update file (e.g. 5.8.11) - this case will make jailbreak impossible but might rescue the device.

Do not use DO_FACTORY_RESTORE method - it will brick the device and finally close usb access to it, and only serial port will help.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:56 AM   #64
Kamikakushi
Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If it is running 5.8.10.1 then the special image did not install.
Put the special image at the visible root of the Kindle, then reboot it.
Thank you. The only piece of information the device lets me know is shown in the attached picture, so I can't tell for sure if it's still running 5.8.10.1.

I don't know how I can move the update file again to the PW, as it can't connect for more than a few seconds, while pasting the file on it takes a few minutes. And plugging in the USB (both to a wall charger and the PC) makes the device restart the booting with this broken screen at the end of the process (and the charger light turns off, too, after getting to this part). I tried holding the power button for 40 seconds, it repeats the booting (or loading, don't know which is the right word in this case) with the same result. So anything I do ends in the broken screen shown above.

If I missed something, please tell me. Thank you very much for your help!

Edit: when the PW connects, these are the directories I can see in the root folder: .active_content_sandbox, documents, update.bin.tmp.partial, voice.

Last edited by Kamikakushi; 01-14-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -
Data: G090KB, 5.8.10.1
- - - -
Quote:
Thank you. The only piece of information the device lets me know is shown in the attached picture, so I can't tell for sure if it's still running 5.8.10.1.
- - - - -
It sure reads to me as if YOU wrote that it is running 5.8.10.1 now.
If it was running 5.8.10.1 BEFORE you started this, I would like you to re-read the title of this thread.

The procedure described here is ONLY for the PW3, running 5.8.9.0.1 AT THE TIME it is used on the device.

Note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by first post
This is a hardware/firmware specific variation on the current software jailbreak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by current software jailbreak
There is a single, complex, special case for 5.8.9.0.1 firmware version. If you get a Kindle with that firmware version, please just post in this thread before you do anything to it, your device **might** be one of the rare exceptions.

Whatever the situation was and whatever the situation is now, I can assure you that the image did not break your screen.
It might appear broken, but if it is broken, then it was something physical done to it.

You can tell the difference by watching to see if the left half of the screen ever changes when you reboot it.

= = = =

Your choices now appear to be:
Since it is brand new, just purchased, return it for replacement.
or
De-brick it using the serial port.

= = = =

(*) I have had a bunch of requests this week for the file required from people who clearly never read or read and refused to follow that part of the directions.
In every case, my initial response did not include access to the image file.

People who can not read the directions and people who can read but not follow the directions have no business trying anything they find here.
Everything on this site assumes people will read and follow the directions.
(And believe any replies of "No" they might receive.)

Last edited by knc1; 01-14-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Advert
Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 AM   #66
Kamikakushi

Oookay, then what did you mean in these posts?:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3f11 View Post
Hi, I just got my paperwhite 3 with ads and I want to jailbreak it. I'm getting conflicting information about whether a jailbreak is possible.

The device came with 5.8.10.1 firmware and it has never been connected to the internet. Bought from Germany if that makes a difference.
It almost always makes a difference.
follow the directions for 5.8.9.0.1 and report back on what happens.
Quote:
Quote:
I am in the same situation (sn: G090 KB, firmware 5.8.10.1, and I guess it's from UK, can't really tell). Did you try one of the said methods? Did you succeed? Please tell me.
Quote:
If some of the experts here read this, could you verify that I should go with update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin? I am not really sure, I couldn't find a reliable tutorial for my firmware.
Quote:
It almost always makes a difference.
Quote:
follow the directions for 5.8.9.0.1 and report back on what happens.

Last edited by Kamikakushi; 01-14-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

You should also read the results that where reported.

I am sticking with "You continued after I told you 'No', it is your own fault, so you fix it."
Old 01-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #68
hermithiker85
hermithiker85 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Hi all. I'd like to jailbreak my kindle. Here is what I have:

I have a kindle paperwhite 3 refurbished with firmware 5.8.9.0.1 (assuming it is the consumer version). The first 6 of the SN are G090 G1. It has connected to the internet. Special offers has been removed. It is registered. There are no passcodes or parental controls on it. I bought it from the US (from Amazon) and it was sent to the US.

Does this seem possible to jailbreak? Thanks!
hermithiker85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

I don't recall anyone who tried this on a "refurbished" Kindle.

So be certain to post back your results.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #70
meowster
meowster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Need help Jailbreaking

@knc1
I got a Kindle Paperwhite 4GB with 5.8.9.0.1
Serial: G090 G105 ...

Can you send me the link and any special instructions. Thank you!
meowster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowster View Post
@knc1
I got a Kindle Paperwhite 4GB with 5.8.9.0.1
Serial: G090 G105 ...

Can you send me the link and any special instructions. Thank you!
From your reading here, you realize there is a chance it will brick.

We do not know any pattern to which ones will and which ones will not.
So we need to collect (in public) information from the people using this procedure:

Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet?
Is it a "refurbished" device?
Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version?
Is it registered?
Does it have ads (Special Offers)?
Does it have a pass-code protection or parental controls enabled?
What country was it sold in?
What country was it delivered to?
Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar).

Last edited by knc1; 01-24-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #72
kakapo
The Night Parrot
kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Palm Vx, Kindle Keyboard (wifi)
Quote:
I bought the Paperwhite 3 specifically for KindleLazy, so if I brick it, I'll be trying the serial port unbricking.

Quote:
So we need to collect (in public) information from the people using this procedure:

New device, never connected to the Internet.
Quote:
It had 5.8.9.0.1 on it when it arrived.
Quote:
Is it registered?
No for all 3
Quote:
Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar).
I purchased it in New Zealand from Noel Leeming (brick & mortar store, though I did purchase it from their online store). The seal sticker on the box lists the importers for Mexico and Brasil, so the store may have imported it from South America rather than Amazon USA.
kakapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #73
knc1
Going Viral

Thanks for that information.
I am guessing that you will not have any trouble.
Having the serial port available if something goes wrong is always a good thing.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #74
meowster
meowster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Smile More info on the kindle

Hey,

Info:
1. New Device from amazon.in
2. Never connected to the internet, unregistered
3. It came with 5.8.9.0.1. No idea what type it is
4. No ads/ special offers
5. No pass code/ parental protections
6. Sold and delivered in India, has a "Disposing guide for India" in it
7. I am okay if it gets bricked, I'll get a replacement from amazon?

Extras: (Ignore?)
8. I came straight to this thread from a reddit post, haven't had any other misinformation as of now, so consider me a fresh noobie.

Qns:
9. How do I add apps to this once jailbroken
10. And can you also link the latest stable update

Please send me files and instructions.Thank you for doing this

Quote:

Is it registered?
meowster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #75
knc1
Going Viral

Thanks for the extra information.
PM sent.

Please post back the result.