Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
No indenting in Kobo books?

I've bought 3 books so far from kobo.com and synced them to my kobo touch. In all 3 books, the first sentence of each paragraph is not indented, and there is a line between each paragraph.

This is annoying because the extra line means less words will fit in each “kobo page screen”. Plus I like reading with the indenting and no extra line between the paragraphs... that's how it would have been if I bought the paper book.

Is this a kobo thing or is this based on the publisher?

I sent an email to customer support and I got a response saying to delete the book and then add again (no idea what that would have done, but did it anyway.. no change to the indenting or line spacing).
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
It's the way Kobo formats the books they sell. God knows why they told you to re-add it, other than that customer service reps are so utterly clueless.

Just side-load it to avoid the Kobo nonsense.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Nina182B
Connoisseur

Thanks for the info Canorka!

I just got an e-mail back from Kobo and they said it was because of the publisher. I actually downloaded the same book on my Kindle and it was perfect! (I had even e-mailed Gallery Books, the publisher, on it to complain before trying it on the Kindle.)
Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina182B View Post
I just got an e-mail back from Kobo and they said it was because of the publisher.
They're FOS, but then their CS usually leaves something to be desired. If it was the publisher then the ePub you can download would look the same as the kePub and it doesn't. Kobo has decided that the books should look this way. I think it goes back to when they were called Short Covers and their main focus was on books for small screen mobile devices as many feel that the no indent/space between look is better for small screens. Some publishers did format their ebooks this way some years back, but I haven't seen any new releases this way in a long time. Some folks do prefer it this way, it's just a preference thing. Personally I want no spaces between and regular indents for the paragraphs.

Instead of syncing them to your Kobo try using ADE to download the ePubs and then sideload them to the Kobo.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Nina182B
Connoisseur

I sideloaded it using Adobe Digital Editions and it looks great on the Touch now. Thanks so much!

I kinda feel bad for the reply I sent to Customer Service (reply sent before I knew about side-loading it). I basically said I would never buy another ebook from kobo again and will use booksonboard instead
Advert