Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Varijus
Varijus began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
PW3 stuck in "code 2" after software jailbreak attempt from 5.8.10

Hi!

Just received my new PW3 and decided to jailbreak it to get access to all those extra features. It didn't go well and now it boots into this screen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gNqsmkH.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	160670

The software before the upgrade was: 5.8.10
Did the downgrade to: update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin

After the downgrade the booting used to freeze on the tree logo.
In an effort to fix it I placed a "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" file in the root, because I was still able to access that.
The boot sequence changed up a bit, I got to select a language and it finally loaded the error screen in the picture.

Are there any more options to try to recover the device from this state? Or is it just the serial cable that would help now?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-15-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Oversized image attached & thumbnailed
Varijus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varijus View Post
Hi!

Just received my new PW3 and decided to jailbreak it to get access to all those extra features. It didn't go well and now it boots into this screen:

Attachment 160670

The software before the upgrade was: 5.8.10
Did the downgrade to: update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin

After the downgrade the booting used to freeze on the tree logo.
In an effort to fix it I placed a "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" file in the root, because I was still able to access that.
The boot sequence changed up a bit, I got to select a language and it finally loaded the error screen in the picture.

Are there any more options to try to recover the device from this state? Or is it just the serial cable that would help now?
Return to Amazon and realize you can't jailbreak that firmware unless you are in Germany.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-15-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Return to Amazon and realize you can't jailbreak that firmware unless you are in Germany.
It looks like the OP was maybe using the serial port to jailbreak? If so, are you sure that the video controller cable is plugged in all of the way, and not damaged at all?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It looks like the OP was maybe using the serial port to jailbreak? If so, are you sure that the video controller cable is plugged in all of the way, and not damaged at all?

Shari
He said he used the software.
I think he is asking is serial the only way to save it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
Varijus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Yeah, fixing it with the serial cable sounds faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I was using .bin transfer via USB to jailbreak.
I have stripped the kindle to get ready for the serial fix. I do not have a working UART cable on me, so will get that tomorrow. Wanted to check with you all on the chance I have missed something!
Old 12-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #6
Varijus

I got to DIAG mode via the serial cable!

Quote:
get_input_from_stdin Received [?]
diag> MUSCAT_WFO - System Diags - 72
~~~~ 1.1.38.321316 ~~~~
pcbId:0670509174170VS4
(DS INFO)-Device Setting
(TOUCH PLATE)-Touch Plate Test
(OTS)-Operator test suite
(o)-Misc individual diagnostics
(WIFI NART)-nART factory test
(USB EXPORT)-USB device mode
(o)-Reboot or Disable Diags
(POWER SUSPEND)-Lock screen
(X)-Exit
I downloaded update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.2.bin off Amazon, which I think should work for my device.
Could someone direct me to some instructions on how to reflash the device via serial? I would rather not mess up anything more by randomly poking around.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #7
Varijus

Fixed it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZFe74aT.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	160669

I uploaded the new firmware .bin via DIAG mode's "(USB EXPORT)-USB device mode" and then rebooted the device. It updated and started working again!

Any pointers now on how to jailbreak it via SERIAL since I have it already hooked up?
I noticed that the "Diag" menu is different on the device from the one that is mentioned in the serial jailbreaking for dummies tutorial https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-15-2017 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Attached and thumbnailed oversized image
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
Varijus

So got it jailbroken, KUAL works!

The only difference from the tutorial was the DIAG step.
Immediately after entering the DIAG menu, I wrote "EXIT LOGIN" and was prompted to login.

Now to assemble the kindle back up.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You should really get rid of the Special Offers.
They can prevent you from recovering from some types of failures.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:42 AM   #10
lubaxe
lubaxe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hi, I've done the same thing. Is there any way to fix this without serial port access?
lubaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:08 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubaxe View Post
Hi, I've done the same thing. Is there any way to fix this without serial port access?
read up from here ^^^^^
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote