Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What book that's time-ly will we read for April?
1916: The Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan 3 17.65%
1632 by Eric Flint 5 29.41%
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North 4 23.53%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 3 17.65%
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells 4 23.53%
Making History by Stephen Fry 8 47.06%
Days Without Number by Robert Goddard 4 23.53%
All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai 7 41.18%
Their Finest, by Lissa Evans 2 11.76%
The Bay of Noon by Shirley Hazzard 7 41.18%
Naples '44: A World War II Diary of Occupied Italy by Norman Lewis 6 35.29%
Time and Again by Jack Finney 4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2018, 04:13 AM   #16
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Well, I'm certainly not going to be upset if it wins , nor if the book I nominated (and have already read) wins. But my true preference is for something a bit more off the beaten track (for me), as that's a big part why I came here.
I agree. I have read a number of books over the years of being a MR member that I would never have gone near. And most of them were worth it
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Yay, voted for three books from my TBR, and a fourth one that I will have to add to my TBR regardless of wether it gets chosen
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And my vote is up. It was a tough decision, but I look forward to reading (or in one obvious case, re-reading) any of the ones I voted for. And, of course, I will read whichever one wins.

Now off to do a quick re-read of The Old Man and the Sea for our discussion next week.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I voted and now it's a 3-way tie.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #20
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
That wasn't easy, but basically I voted for the three I would most like to read, and didn't vote for some others which I know are good but which would be rereads for me.

Too many books, too little time!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 11:51 PM   #21
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I have the two front runners on hold at the library
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:15 AM   #22
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I already checked out two from my library, and have the third on hold
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Well I'm hopeful that all you early gamblers are wrong. Do we really want to fight an ancient war over again, after facing murder, racism, and a fishing sob-story? And yes, Stephen Fry does write a very clever turn of phrase, and he knows it, but take a look at some of the other contenders. In particular:

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

From the Amazon blurb: "Harry August is on his deathbed. Again." Again? Keep going, I'm listening. The opening sentences of chapter 1: "The second catacylsm began in my eleventh life, in 1996. I was dying my usual death, slipping away in a warm morphine haze, which she interrupted like an ice cube down my spine. She was seven, I was seventy-eight." This was the second cataclysm? I want to read this book!

Okay, so I probably want to read All Our Wrong Todays as well, and The Bay of Noon and Time and Again and ... oh, vote for what you want, see if I care.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Well I'm hopeful that all you early gamblers are wrong. Do we really want to fight an ancient war over again, after facing murder, racism, and a fishing sob-story? And yes, Stephen Fry does write a very clever turn of phrase, and he knows it, but take a look at some of the other contenders. In particular:

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

From the Amazon blurb: "Harry August is on his deathbed. Again." Again? Keep going, I'm listening. The opening sentences of chapter 1: "The second catacylsm began in my eleventh life, in 1996. I was dying my usual death, slipping away in a warm morphine haze, which she interrupted like an ice cube down my spine. She was seven, I was seventy-eight." This was the second cataclysm? I want to read this book!

Okay, so I probably want to read All Our Wrong Todays as well, and The Bay of Noon and Time and Again and ... oh, vote for what you want, see if I care.
My vote for the Fry novel was tactical, I'm afraid. I've read it before, and don't particularly want to read it again, but I'd much rather reread it than 1632, which is long, and I have to say, underwhelming (in my opinion).
Old 03-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Now I've not read the Fry, though I suspect I'll enjoy it, but I have read 1632, and I am far from underwhelmed -- quite the opposite. And I would definitely enjoy a re-read -- this is the sort of book that has new discoveries waiting at every read. Yes, it's long (just under 600 pages), but we've had people asking for longer books, and we do have more time to read before we discuss.

I found 1632 both historically fascinating and great good fun -- a combination not often found! And considering the entire ecosystem that has evolved for it, apparently a fairly substantial group of people agree. I really did hope we'd have a chance to read it, and I think it would spark an excellent discussion -- there's certainly no shortage of discussion points around it.

It is also, I might point out, FREE, and the author has been one of the most outspoken and forceful advocates for DRM-Free ebook publishing. So no whinging and carrying on about what is available where and who is entitled to download it. Everyone is entitled to download it for free, without restriction or concern.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #26
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now I've not read the Fry, though I suspect I'll enjoy it, but I have read 1632, and I am far from underwhelmed -- quite the opposite. And I would definitely enjoy a re-read -- this is the sort of book that has new discoveries waiting at every read. Yes, it's long (just under 600 pages), but we've had people asking for longer books, and we do have more time to read before we discuss.

I found 1632 both historically fascinating and great good fun -- a combination not often found! And considering the entire ecosystem that has evolved for it, apparently a fairly substantial group of people agree. I really did hope we'd have a chance to read it, and I think it would spark an excellent discussion -- there's certainly no shortage of discussion points around it.

It is also, I might point out, FREE, and the author has been one of the most outspoken and forceful advocates for DRM-Free ebook publishing. So no whinging and carrying on about what is available where and who is entitled to download it. Everyone is entitled to download it for free, without restriction or concern.
It was far from terrible, but I just didn't get hooked like so many others have. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, Charlie .
Old 03-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I nominated books that sounded quite interesting that I would like to give a read to and that I had not already read. I'm not looking to nominate a book I've read. I'm looking for a book to read for the first time.

For me, it's not about how good 1632 is. It's about not wanting to start a series that's so large. There are over 24 books and more than 16 Granville Gazettes. (if I am not mistaken).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Making History it is!

See you for the discussion of The Old Man and the Sea on March 15.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #29
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Curious. Less voters this month than last ... or perhaps more voters last month than usual. Perhaps due to the connection to movies?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It could be that, or maybe our novelty is wearing off a bit now for people who come in and vote but aren't really interested in joining the Club. (If so, I do hope it is!)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote