Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
...Opening Moon itself will let me find books in the tablet's internal storage, but not on the SD card. It would be nice if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I have the Lenovo Tab2 running Android 6.01 and have MoonPro. When you try and point Moon to a folder, it defaults to internal storage. You should be able to click the back arrow until you see "Path:/". From there, click "mnt" and then "m_external_sd" that should get you into your external SD card.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #32
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Thanks for the suggestion, Zod, but on mine, once I go back to [Path] :/, and open "mnt", it doesn't have an "m_external_storage", only "sdcard" - by which it means the internal storage.

So I'm still puzzled by the Lenovo directory structure!
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2018, 02:36 AM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Zod, but on mine, once I go back to [Path] :/, and open "mnt", it doesn't have an "m_external_storage", only "sdcard" - by which it means the internal storage.

So I'm still puzzled by the Lenovo directory structure!
It's not Lenovo, it's Android/Linux. Any Android tablet will work the same way.

As a test, go to the tablet's settings. Choose Storage and make sure it reflects both internal storage and the SD card. It's always possible that there's an issue with the card.

Once you verify that the tablet does in fact see your SD card, go back to Moon, navigate to Path: /mnt and list what folders show in there. On my tablet under Path: /mnt, well, there's a lot of folders. But the ones that matter are labelled m_external_sd and m_internal_storage
Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #34
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
In 6.0 and above, the SD card is only for media. *Photos and music will go there automatically unless you format the card for storage. Why books are excluded is beyond me. They store and get read just like people love to look at images.The Android forums were full of complaints about that bit of nonsense as most of us had "apps to sd" installed.

Would it be possible to stick books under Media or is Moon reader stuck on the new convention?

*unless you format for storage.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
In 6.0 and above, the SD card is only for media. *Photos and music will go there automatically unless you format the card for storage. Why books are excluded is beyond me. They store and get read just like people love to look at images.The Android forums were full of complaints about that bit of nonsense as most of us had "apps to sd" installed.

Would it be possible to stick books under Media or is Moon reader stuck on the new convention?

*unless you format for storage.
Books are media. I have comics on my SD card on my Lenovo Tab 2 running 6.0.1 and have no issues. Moon has no issues reading from an SD card, though I don't use Moon to read my comics and I don't read books on the tablet.
Advert
Old 04-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #36
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Once you verify that the tablet does in fact see your SD card, go back to Moon, navigate to Path: /mnt and list what folders show in there. On my tablet under Path: /mnt, well, there's a lot of folders. But the ones that matter are labelled m_external_sd and m_internal_storage
Zod - thanks so much for taking the time to help someone who now finds himself very inept.

The tablet definitely sees the external card and if I go into the card via "Settings" (without having opened Moon), I can select the book and then tell the tablet to use Moon to open it.

But when Moon is already open, nothing I have been able to do so far will get it to look at the external SD card. The /mnt folders do not include m_external_SD. What's there is asec, expand, obb, runtime, sdcard, secure and user.

Using my laptop to find what's where on the tablet, I can see that five of my books are stored under "books" on the internal SD (/> mnt> sdcard> Books) along with a directory named "MoonReader" which contains the rest of the books I have on the tablet (other than those on the external card, of course).

I was trying to put all the large PDFs (the current one I'm reading is 304MB) onto the external card, but they really don't seem to be easily accessible there.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Zod - thanks so much for taking the time to help someone who now finds himself very inept.

The tablet definitely sees the external card and if I go into the card via "Settings" (without having opened Moon), I can select the book and then tell the tablet to use Moon to open it.

But when Moon is already open, nothing I have been able to do so far will get it to look at the external SD card. The /mnt folders do not include m_external_SD. What's there is asec, expand, obb, runtime, sdcard, secure and user.

Using my laptop to find what's where on the tablet, I can see that five of my books are stored under "books" on the internal SD (/> mnt> sdcard> Books) along with a directory named "MoonReader" which contains the rest of the books I have on the tablet (other than those on the external card, of course).

I was trying to put all the large PDFs (the current one I'm reading is 304MB) onto the external card, but they really don't seem to be easily accessible there.
Try installing another reader, just to see if it can access your external SD card. Maybe Moon is the issue, though it works for me. I'm using the paid version, Moon Pro. But I don't believe you have to use the paid version to access the external SD card.

You know, reading your message, have you checked out the 'expand' folder?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:54 AM   #38
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Hi Zod, and thanks again. I have checked the 'expand' folder (though it isn't really a folder, is it? at least, not when I look inside the tablet from my Windows 10 laptop) and it's not there or elsewhere.

I too am using the paid version of Moon but I will give something else a go.

[edit - later]
I downloaded the free version of Bookavi from Mantano, and this manages access to books stored on the external SD card without any problems. So the issue does seem to be at least partly with Moon and not Android or my Lenovo tablet.

If I can work out how to upgrade it, I might go for the paid version of Bookavi to get rid of the very annoying adverts. In other respects it looks like a good piece of software.
[edit - later still]
I think I may now have reconciled what Zod has been saying to what I actually see on my tablet. Instead of calling the SD card "m_external_SD", it is called by some no doubt proprietary internal name, 2785-OEEA. So Moon can in fact find it via / > storage > 2785-OEEA > Books.

Hurrah. I hadn't thought of trying that rather forbiddingly-titled location. Oddly though, it also includes books that are on the internal storage of the tablet. One of the wonders of Android/Linux no doubt.

Thanks once again to Zod and all you other helpful readers.

Last edited by Araucaria; 04-14-2018 at 07:10 AM.