Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-30-2016, 03:53 AM   #31
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That video is not showing the Aura One. The Aura One, as I said in my previous post, does have a flush screen, hence it must be capacitive.
Then, my misunderstanding.

@robko @FizzyWater thanks for the info! I also almost didn't scratch my Kindle 4, my single reader for 5 years, but here is how I scratched it in the end: as I synced it via the microUSB cable to the PC, as I disconnected the cable, the metallic microUSB end whipped back onto the screen, and there's a dent. It wouldn't happen this way if it were a Lightning cable, just saying.

From frequent use of the middle button because of the dictionary, the middle button area also looks horribly worn, unlike other Kindles of the same age I spot in the wild, but that's a different story.

All in all it seems to be, my best bet would be the Kindle again from monopolist Amazon with its questionable company policies and closed file format. OK, I'm fine with that! I really wanted to give other players a try.

Last edited by avid01; 08-30-2016 at 04:05 AM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #32
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Then, my misunderstanding.

@robko @FizzyWater thanks for the info! I also almost didn't scratch my Kindle 4, my single reader for 5 years, but here is how I scratched it in the end: as I synced it via the microUSB cable to the PC, as I disconnected the cable, the metallic microUSB end whipped back onto the screen, and there's a dent. It wouldn't happen this way if it were a Lightning cable, just saying.

From frequent use of the middle button because of the dictionary, the middle button area also looks horribly worn, unlike other Kindles of the same age I spot in the wild, but that's a different story.

All in all it seems to be, my best bet would be the Kindle again from monopolist Amazon with its questionable company policies and closed file format. OK, I'm fine with that! I really wanted to give other players a try.
You can sideload from other places to a kindle. I have books from here on my kindle.
No, you can't do epub but then while you can do mobi on a Kobo, it doesn't always render well.
Every ereader has its limitations.
It would only be a closed system if I had to buy all my books from Amazon.
Come to think of it, I have some ARCS that came straight from the authors on my Kindle.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #33
Freddie V
Freddie V began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
8 yr with three 3rd gen Kindle Keyboard for reading only. Smashed the 3rd one last week. Got a fourth to replace it. Love it.
I have an iPad and reading on that is like holding a brick. My kid has a Kobo and while it is similar there is no light on his case which mine has. Not sure why anyone would be agin the earlier Kindles if all you want is a reader.
Freddie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:09 AM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie V View Post
8 yr with three 3rd gen Kindle Keyboard for reading only. Smashed the 3rd one last week. Got a fourth to replace it. Love it.
I have an iPad and reading on that is like holding a brick. My kid has a Kobo and while it is similar there is no light on his case which mine has. Not sure why anyone would be agin the earlier Kindles if all you want is a reader.
Because they want a better reading experience?

Newer Kindles have better screens, with better contrast and sharper text. They're smaller, lighter, more comfortable to hold. No need to lug a lighted case around. They're fast even if you put a thousand books or more on them (newer processors).

All those improvements may not really matter to you, of course, but they matter to most of the Kindle users (and the users of other brands too).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #35
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
In the end I reckon, any half decent ereader will do, as you always get used to it.

Sure, there will always be some bugbears ... the Kindle Keyboard for instance, which I like a lot, has some irritations ... like the Back button being too close to the Down button ... no way should they ever have been put near one another. Another is not being able to go from the top of a page straight to the bottom on many menus ... sure there is a trick you can use, but not when assigning an ebook to a collection ... which is where I've always wanted it most. There are a few other things, but it is a damn good reader, which counts most.

Then there is the Kindle Paperwhite, which I also have and which is an improvement on the Kindle Keyboard in several ways, but not quite as good in others. Each have their strengths & flaws. But like I said, you get used to them. The biggest problem I find with newer models, is they are full of what i call 'clever dick' stuff ... they try to pre-guess your intent, which can be very irritating at times ... and then they don't do it when they really should. Like with the Paperwhite, when you are assigning an ebook to a collection, having done many clicks to get to the right place, only to have to repeat all that for the next ebook, which you often want to assign to the same collection ... a lot of clicks could be saved I find ... clever but not really clever ... just mostly annoying. The capacity of the Kindle Paperwhite is less than half the Kindle Keyboard, which is disappointing, but as it doesn't support audio, it is still a fair capacity considering. The audio on the Kindle Keyboard is pretty crappy anyway, but to be honest I never really use it ... the 30 or so music MP3's I have on it are for a rainy day, and though I have an audiobook as well, and a podcast or two, I am not really into them.

In the end though I really like both the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Paperwhite ... especially the substrate light layer of the latter, which makes for better night reading ... being touch is more intuitive as well, though after you get into a book you really aren't that conscious of having to click the next page button on the Kindle Keyboard.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
The capacity of the Kindle Paperwhite is less than half the Kindle Keyboard
No, that's not true. Both the KK and the current PW models have 4GB storage. The PW has a little less available storage space due to the fact that the firmware of the PW is larger than that of the KK, but it's a small difference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Like with the Paperwhite, when you are assigning an ebook to a collection, having done many clicks to get to the right place, only to have to repeat all that for the next ebook, which you often want to assign to the same collection
You can add many books at once to a collection. Click at the three dots on the far right of a collection and choose "add/remove books".
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #38
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, that's not true. Both the KK and the current PW models have 4GB storage. The PW has a little less available storage space due to the fact that the firmware of the PW is larger than that of the KK, but it's a small difference.
Well, that might be so in your case, lucky you, but I actually checked mine before posting, and it was 3.x Gb (KK) and 1.4 Gb (KP) respectively. That's the total space available on each device, not remaining free space.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #39
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can add many books at once to a collection. Click at the three dots on the far right of a collection and choose "add/remove books".
I'll look into that, but I think I knew that, and it involves a similar muck around if I remember right, just from the other direction. Fingers crossed I am misremembering.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Well, that might be so in your case, lucky you, but I actually checked mine before posting, and it was 3.x Gb (KK) and 1.4 Gb (KP) respectively. That's the total space available on each device, not remaining free space.
As Harry said the current PW model (PW3) has 4GB of storage. Some older models (PW1 and some PW2's [it was increased around Sept. 2014]) have 2GB.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #41
Timboli
Fanatic

That's good to know, but I was talking about mine, which is probably the PW2.
No doubt I bought mine too soon, but we always have a delay here in AUS, and not every model becomes available here or is exactly the same ... so I believe ... which is often a pain ... and not just for Kindles, many American based goods ... better than it used to be though.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That's good to know, but I was talking about mine, which is probably the PW2.
No doubt I bought mine too soon, but we always have a delay here in AUS, and not every model becomes available here or is exactly the same ... so I believe ... which is often a pain ... and not just for Kindles, many American based goods ... better than it used to be though.
Sure, older PW models only had 2GB, but that's really of no relevance to someone considering buying one today. The PW that's currently sold has 4GB storage, as do the Voyage and Oasis, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #43
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Sure, older PW models only had 2GB, but that's really of no relevance to someone considering buying one today. The PW that's currently sold has 4GB storage, as do the Voyage and Oasis, too.
Personally, I couldn't care less about the capacities of these devices, as I don't use them to store all my books and documents. I rather use them as a to read device. The less stuff is on the device, the more focused I can be on the actual reading.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:57 AM   #44
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
For sure , but I was just explaining my experience and really how any half decent e-ink reader of the last few years, will do the most important aspect of the job it's designed for - good for reading with ... regardless of the more recent bells & whistles.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #45
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I got a moment so I checked that, and yes, I have tried that before.
Like I said with my earlier reply, it is just as convoluted as the other method, perhaps even worse.

I have 11 pages of collections and 53 pages of ebooks.

So either I have to select an ebook, usually on page 11, then add it to a collection on one of those 10/11 pages, then go back to the 11th page for the next ebook to add to another or same collection, etc. Lot of clicks.

Or I go to the collection, provided I want all new ebooks in that collection, select the add/remove option, then browse amongst those 53 pages for the ebooks to add to the collection. Lot of clicks again.

Sure, I could do a search probably, but that again would be a significant muck around.

What should happen, that would often make the process easier, is that the device remembers where you started and where you finished, and returns to those locations each time, as from those places you may need to do very little more clicking ... usually.

So in other words, after adding an ebook to a collection, it takes me back to Page 11. Then I select another ebook, choose to add it to a collection again, and I am taken back to the page of the last collection I added to.

In reality though, I am usually adding an ebook to a folder with the author name, so having an 'Add to Author Name Collection' option would make it all much more sensible, with far less clicking, and I truly can't believe they don't have that ... at least on my models.

Last edited by Timboli; 09-14-2016 at 07:55 AM.