Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #3136
spirit1431007
spirit1431007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Where in the jailbreak directions did it tell you to use "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE"?
Jail breaking a Kindle is not the place for inventing your own procedures.

Now you get to use the serial port to recover the device.
And when you do, try following the directions.
My fault. I decided to try to communicate with Amazon to change another device for me, if they refuse my request, I'll try to use the serial port to recover the device.Thank you for replying.

Last edited by spirit1431007; 04-15-2018 at 11:24 PM.
spirit1431007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #3137
Georgi
Nameless Being

Hi, I gave away my old Kindle and I'm considering getting a new Voyage - I love the size and weight. I'm in Germany. Will I be able to jailbreak it without soldering a serial connection? Or should I get another model instead? Thank you all!
Old 06-01-2018, 03:46 AM   #3138
neverthesane
neverthesane began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
dear Forum Masters,

i have a Kindle PW3 successfully jailbroken.
it was working all okay for more than a year now.
recently i was not able to recharge it, (forgot it at a place)
and when i opened the case, there was the big battery icon
with the exclamation mark.
i started to charge, then was able to enter diags.
tried to exit, and it got stuck with the
"DIAGS EXIT. Please use serial port" screen.
pressing the button for 20 secs makes the amber light flash 5 times,
the screen flashes 2 times. then nothing.
if i connect the device to pc or laptop (Windows 7 / 10) via USB,
the device is visible but device manager won't find a suitable driver.

how can i make the machine work?
should i recharge it to 100% or on the contrary, let it go to 0%?
what else could i try?
could please, please somebody help me?
i miss reading so much.

thanks in advance!
neverthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #3139
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@neverthesane: You wouldn't happen to have installed the RescuePack or the CowardsRescuePack at one point?

If yes, you can recover it over SSH, if not, it might get tricky...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:15 AM   #3140
neverthesane
neverthesane began at the beginning.

@NiLuJe
i have one of the rescue packs installed,
that's for sure. but i don't really remember which one.

how should i do the recovery?
unfortunatelly i'm not a technology pro kinda girl
neverthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #3141
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverthesane View Post
@NiLuJe
i have one of the rescue packs installed,
that's for sure. but i don't really remember which one.

how should i do the recovery?
unfortunatelly i'm not a technology pro kinda girl
There is only one.
Plus an optional add-on for that one RP.

Need a little more idea of your technical background ...
Have you installed and used our USB networking add-in?
If so, the help you need could be based on that experience.
or
Have you any experience using ssh for remote computer access in cases other than accessing a Kindle?

If neither case, then the help you need will have to be at a more basic level of description.

(Sorry, I can't be the one to provide the information, I have never used our rescue pack add-in myself.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:05 AM   #3142
wocky
wocky began at the beginning.

Hello. I have a PW3 (G090 G105), fw 5.9.5.1 . When I attempt to downgrade the fw via the update option, the option is greyed out and I cannot select it. Is there any hope here? Thank you!
wocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:16 AM   #3143
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wocky View Post
Hello. I have a PW3 (G090 G105), fw 5.9.5.1 . When I attempt to downgrade the fw via the update option, the option is greyed out and I cannot select it. Is there any hope here? Thank you!
Yes, just jailbreak with the serial port.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #3144
stefanqn
stefanqn began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Smile confirm jailbroken

I can confirm successful downgrade to update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin and jailbreak w/ main-htmlviewer.tar.gz + JailBreak-1.15.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip.

I have a German KPW3, serial starting w/ G090 G105 7...

It was shipped w/ 5.8.10. I pressed German and skipped the configuration process.

stefanqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM   #3145
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanqn View Post
I can confirm successful downgrade to update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin and jailbreak w/ main-htmlviewer.tar.gz + JailBreak-1.15.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip.

I have a German KPW3, serial starting w/ G090 G105 7...

It was shipped w/ 5.8.10. I pressed German and skipped the configuration process.

thanks for the information.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #3146
bz9993
bz9993 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3
Hi all. This is a very long thread and there is some degree of conflicting information along the way. I'd like to try pin down the *current* state of knowledge in terms of jailbreaking a brand new PW 3, sold in USA, showing FW 5.8.11, U.S. English, never connected to the Net so no OTA upgrade to date.

In particular:

Is there a definitive procedure (including links the appropriate code/packages) for doing this? If so:

a) where is this procedure and code/packages
b) what are the risks of bricking to the point that only serial port recovery is possible?
c) what are the risks of (non-bricked) failure modes that would require recovery operations
d) after a successful jailbreaking, to what extent can later official firmware builds (including OTA updates) be permitted without risking the jailbreak and packages installed to make use of the jailbreak?
e) are there any other "gotchas" -- e.g. problems with using Amazon for over-air downloading of books, other Amazon-related problems, etc.?

Great forum! Thanks all!

P.S. Did you know that there is a "ghost" version of this site at "webcheckfinancial.com" that mostly works but looks like some sort of ip address confusion? Just thought I'd mention it.
bz9993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #3147
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz9993 View Post
Hi all. This is a very long thread and there is some degree of conflicting information along the way. I'd like to try pin down the *current* state of knowledge in terms of jailbreaking a brand new PW 3, sold in USA, showing FW 5.8.11, U.S. English, never connected to the Net so no OTA upgrade to date.

In particular:

Is there a definitive procedure (including links the appropriate code/packages) for doing this? If so:

a) where is this procedure and code/packages
b) what are the risks of bricking to the point that only serial port recovery is possible?
c) what are the risks of (non-bricked) failure modes that would require recovery operations
d) after a successful jailbreaking, to what extent can later official firmware builds (including OTA updates) be permitted without risking the jailbreak and packages installed to make use of the jailbreak?
e) are there any other "gotchas" -- e.g. problems with using Amazon for over-air downloading of books, other Amazon-related problems, etc.?
a) https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak (I used 'update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin', link for multi-part zip in wiki)
b) not a large enough sample size to determine jailbreaking success with >FW 5.8.7 so peg it at 50/50
c) same as above?
d) no guarantee, iirc reported working with 5.9.6 (latest as of 6/14/18) thus far
e) haven't noticed any
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #3148
bz9993

Thanks! What is the most reliable way to block OTA upgrades for now while I consider this, so that I can take the unit online so that I don't have to sideload everything (assuming there *is* a reliable way to go online and block OTAs!) Is there any downside to registering the unit in this context? Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #3149
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz9993 View Post
Thanks! What is the most reliable way to block OTA upgrades for now while I consider this, so that I can take the unit online so that I don't have to sideload everything (assuming there *is* a reliable way to go online and block OTAs!) Is there any downside to registering the unit in this context? Thanks again!
There is no downside concerning ability to jailbreak (other than conspiracy worries) from registering.

To block OTA updates, just follow the instructions in the provided link for you in other post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
a) https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak (I used 'update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin', link for multi-part zip in wiki)
TLDR, specifically this part from it:

Quote:
Currently the best way to avoid OTA updates is to add the OTA blocker directory (folder) name to the top level of visible USB storage.
The blocker directory is named: update.bin.tmp.partial
Use that exact name, no additional extension, no contents.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #3150
bz9993

Ah yes, I see. That should also effectively block any repeated attempts at downloading the firmware updates, it'll just fail at the start each time. Hah, I see what you mean about Kindle Conspiracy Theories. Everything from "Does Kindle spy on sideloaded book collections?" to "Wi-Fi turns on magically by itself!" Wow. Thanks again.