Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
crocuta
crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.

Device: Pocketbook Aqua
Not recognized by computer

Since Google failed me, I have to ask here.
The situation:
Computer with Windows 10 after clean installation won't recognize e-readers anymore. This is not limited to Pocketbook, I have Bookeen too and it fails to show up in the computer as well.
Before the clean install everything worked fine so there are no problems with USB ports or cables.
When I plug in the e-reader, the USB-sound is played but nothing else happens. Under PC Management I can see a new drive (e-reader) but it is not initiated and I wouldn't touch it unless I have to. There is no letter assigned to it and it basically looks like an empty drive without partition.
My conclusion is: as the previous Win 10 installation was an upgrade from Windows 8, there must be something (drivers?) Win 8 used to recognize an e-reader as such. After the upgrade it probably stayed in the system and e-readers worked fine. However, a clean install of Win 10 doesn't have this something.
So - what is that SOMETHING and how can I put it back?
(Note: I tried every possible solution I could find - change the cable, different USB ports, re-install of USB drivers, etc.)
crocuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocuta View Post
(Note: I tried every possible solution I could find - change the cable, different USB ports, re-install of USB drivers, etc.)
Do you have an opportunity to try different computers too?
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
crocuta
crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Do you have an opportunity to try different computers too?
Tomorrow, yes, I was planning on that.
But I expect the reader to work perfectly fine with another computer. Nothing changed in the e-readers (and I don't think they broke down at the same time), the change was in my computer.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:49 AM   #4
crocuta

So, as I suspected, the e-reader works fine with another computer.
In frustration, I actually re-set one of the readers to factory settings. It didn't help.
So, any ideas?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Since it works on other computers, the fault is with the computer where it does not work. No need to fiddle with the ereader. Fiddle with the problematic computer. I personally am not on Windows at all, so I cannot be of any more specific help.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
crocuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Since it works on other computers, the fault is with the computer where it does not work. No need to fiddle with the ereader. Fiddle with the problematic computer. I personally am not on Windows at all, so I cannot be of any more specific help.
Thank you anyway. Hopefully someone else would know what to do.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the missing something is most likely a USB driver for your specific hardware, or usb hub driver

do other devices such as USB sticks still work. ?
are you using usb mouse, keyboard ok...

the fix will be to force windows to search for a better driver, or to get the usb hardware make and model from device manager and search yourself
you say you tried a re-install usb drivers - how did you do that , what did you install ?
what usb ports do you have and are they blue ( USB3) or black( USB 2)
does device manager show any exclamation marks or unknown devices
are you using any security software that could be blocking USB

Last edited by stumped; 10-30-2018 at 10:14 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
crocuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
the missing something is most likely a USB driver for your specific hardware, or usb hub driver

do other devices such as USB sticks still work. ?
are you using usb mouse, keyboard ok...
Yes, all other USB devices are working just fine, including mobile phones. They get recognized without problems.

Quote:
the fix will be to force windows to search for a better driver, or to get the usb hardware make and model from device manager and search yourself
you say you tried a re-install usb drivers - how did you do that , what did you install ?
Computer/Manage/Devices/USB/right click, remove, restart the computer so it would install the drivers anew.
When that didn't help, I tried Driver Booster, no result.

Quote:
what usb ports do you have and are they blue ( USB3) or black( USB 2)
Both. Before, it didn't matter which port I used, it worked everywhere, now it doesn't work anywhere.
Quote:
does device manager show any exclamation marks or unknown devices
No, all drivers are accounted for and supposedly working.
Quote:
are you using any security software that could be blocking USB
I have BitDefender but I don't think it's blocking USB devices (as mobile phones get recognized without problems and there is nothing in BD logs to indicate it prevented USB device from connecting to the computer.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

that was all I could think of.

i am not familiar with the 2 specific e-readers you have. Do they have matching PC apps for initial set up which may have to be run once on a new machine ( or a fresh install )
you have already tested your readers with a different PC, all that leaves is borrowing a kindle or a kobo and testing your PC with that, to try to narrow down the issue

PS a fresh install will have wiped any adobe ID registration from the PC . it is a long shot but installing the version of ADE you used before and going though adobe registration may cause the reader(s) to be recognized
one more long shot . This "fix" was for a Kobo but who knows. - its worth a try...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-1b909e856bf5
"We just stumbled upon a solution - we turned off the wifi on our kobo glo, and then suddenly the kobo asks that familiar question - "do you want to connect?" Tap yes, and it's back to normal.

We load books from local library via Adobe Digital Editions - and we normally get prompted by the kobo glo to connect when the usb cable is plugged in. We lost that message until we turned off the wifi on the kobo

Last edited by stumped; 10-30-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
crocuta

Quote:
that was all I could think of.

i am not familiar with the 2 specific e-readers you have. Do they have matching PC apps for initial set up which may have to be run once on a new machine ( or a fresh install )
No, there are no special apps or drivers, both should work with generic windows drivers.
Quote:
you have already tested your readers with a different PC, all that leaves is borrowing a kindle or a kobo and testing your PC with that, to try to narrow down the issue
Unfortunately, I only know people with PocketBook. Kindle is rare and Kobo is not sold in this part of world at all.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

I would try assigning a drive letter.
maybe that is what you did before but so long ago you don't remember ?
Old 10-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
crocuta

Quote:
"We just stumbled upon a solution - we turned off the wifi on our kobo glo, and then suddenly the kobo asks that familiar question - "do you want to connect?" Tap yes, and it's back to normal.
Not the case, either. The reader registers it's connected to the computer. The computer doesn't know what kind of device got connected.
Perhaps, there is some driver assigned to the e-reader which is actually not right for it. I'll try to tinker with it once I get back from my travels.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #13
crocuta

Quote:
I would try assigning a drive letter.
maybe that is what you did before but so long ago you don't remember ?
No, all e-readers have always got connected automatically before, never had an issue with it.
I'm not inclined to make changes to the e-reader from the computer's side. I'm afraid I would damage something.
Unless I run out of other options, of course.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

AFAIK assigning a drive letter is something that is logged only in WINDOWS REGISTRY - IT IS NOT ANYTHING WRITTEN TO THE DEVICE

dunno if this is relevant but some devices e.g. my wifes android phone can connect in multiple modes,
..."File transfer," "Media transfer," or "MTP." ...
the default connection is NOT the one that allows access to the file system and lets her copy files(photos). There's a swipe down and then select a connection type that she has to do every time
Old 10-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard

your windows security may have defaulted to some unhelpful setting, so it blocks disc access/file transfer because your reader cannot present valid windows user credentials.
that would not be applicable to mouse, keyboard etc so those still work.
so poke around in the networks & sharing options. i know that i have to do that to sort out my LAN shares after every big windows update.