Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Device: Meebook P78 Pro, Likebook P6
Trying to run Aeris' Kindle Menu without KUAL on Kindle Oasis

Hi Everyone,

KUAL does not work on jailbroken Kindle Oasis.

knc1 asked if I could try the Kindle Menu. However, it does not work without KUAL.

knc1 is very kind to take the time and patience to point me in the right direction on how to get Kindle Menu to run without KUAL. Please see this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=338 (and I thank you knc1) however I do not know how to write/read scripts or commands he mentioned.

Aeris' Kindle Menu here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225860 and also here https://github.com/AerisDev/KindleMenu.

I looked through all of the files as he suggested I think this is the script,

Spoiler:
shortcut.sh

Code:
#!/bin/sh
SCRIPT=`cat << 'JAVASCRIPT' | tr -d '\n' | sed -e 's,",\\\\",g'
(function () {

var swiped = false;

document.body.addEventListener("mousedown", function () {
    swiped = true;
  });
  document.body.addEventListener("mouseup", function () {
    swiped = false;
  });

document.body.addEventListener("mouseout", function () {
    if (swiped) {
      swiped = false;
nativeBridge.setLipcProperty( "com.lab126.system", "sendEvent", "; sh -c 'DISPLAY=:0 /mnt/us/extensions/kindlemenu/bin/kindlemenu.sh'");
    }
  });
})();
`

MESSAGE='{
  "__id__":   "0",
  "pillowId": "default_status_bar",
  "replySrc": "",
  "function": "'${SCRIPT}'"
}'

lipc-set-prop -s com.lab126.pillow interrogatePillow "$MESSAGE"

There is also this file:

Spoiler:
disable_shortcut.sh

Code:
#!/bin/sh
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pillow disableEnablePillow disable
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pillow disableEnablePillow enable

I have no experience in writing/modifying scripts and I'm not sure if these are the relevant files.

Let me know if I can provide more information.

I'm not a developer and I think it is amazing what you all do here.

Your expertise is very appreciated, and I thank you.
homeceo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd start by getting confirmation that this even properly works on FW >= 5.5.x, because I have a teeeeny doubt about that .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'd start by getting confirmation that this even properly works on FW >= 5.5.x, because I have a teeeeny doubt about that .
NiLuJe,

I'm not sure I understand your question.... are you talking about Kindle Menu or KUAL working properly?

On my Kindle Voyage, following the instructions, I downgraded to 5.5.0 and then successfully installed the jailbreak; installed KUAL and KOReader and it worked fine as far I could tell. I was going to leave it on that 5.5.0 firmware version but I decided I really didn't like the UI so I upgraded to 5.7.4, and then went ahead and upgraded back up to 5.8.1. So far, KUAL is working fine for me I think... I only use it to use KOReader and I use kpvbooklet to open the epub files directly from kindle home page, so I don't know about other extensions.

On the Oasis on the other other hand, the downgrade is 5.7.4, I installed the jailbreak successfully... I just have not yet brought it back up to the 5.8.1. KUAL does not work on the Oasis. Says "Application Error" when you tap the launcher. Thus, knc1 suggested trying Kindle Menu as an alternative launcher -- to test and see if it might work.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This topic began in the JB thread, but I ask homeceo4 to start a thread on the subject (this one).

My reason was having a 'Launcher' of some kind was a pretty basic requirement here and it might turn into a big job getting one working on the KOA.

An abstract of what I was suggesting:
KindleMenu can use the 'swipe top bar' to activate it, it does not need KUAL.
But it is shipped with that feature disabled and it requires a KUAL script to enable it.
So without a working KUAL . . . .

My suggestion was to hijack the searchbar ;log command to enable/disable the KindleMenu 'swipe top bar' feature.
Similar to how encol hijacked ;log for a different purpose.

Then to install the package (with the added 'glue script') requires either command line access or a script in an update_*.bin style package.
(Links in the original discussion posts also)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeceo43 View Post
Hi Everyone,

KUAL does not work on jailbroken Kindle Oasis.
can you post a
Code:
ls /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/Kindlet-*.jar
?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It should be simple to glue it into the default user experience, I thought some time ago about providing an upstart job to run the enabler script after lab126_gui.
But I was too lazy.

I guess I can go do that now.

How will it be installed, without KUAL to run MrPI?
Do we need to move from MKK+KUAL to some other starter pack on the KOA?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Geekmaster has a picture of an open can of worms somewhere around here.
We might want to borrow it for this thread also.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
How will it be installed, without KUAL to run MrPI?
Do we need to move from MKK+KUAL to some other starter pack on the KOA?
Have the JB drop the required files to hijack ;log to turn it into MRinstaller?

And we would have to include those files into the bridge, or the MRinstaller would disappear with the next update of the system.

Last edited by knc1; 07-10-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just overwrite /usr/bin/logThis.sh ???

Alternatively, it is trivial to add a ;mrpi command.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just overwrite /usr/bin/logThis.sh ???

Alternatively, it is trivial to add a ;mrpi command.
I wasn't sure how much processing that *.json file was/is subject to.
And that would require extending (or replacing) a file that might change version to version.

But just dropping something on top of logThis.sh (even if it isn't there on some version) should be harmless.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #11
homeceo43
Connoisseur

Thank you. Please let me know how I can help you test on the KOA.

As the instructions now indicate on the first post of the main JB thread, I did install the latest 'hotfix' this morning on my KOA.

In addition to what the updated 'hotfix' fixes on KOA, I'm not sure if this updated 'hotfix' was also to help KUAL launch; on my KOA, KUAL still does not.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Perhaps i missed something: why we cannot recompile Kual with the appropriate Oasis libraries?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I have a perfectly working update_*.bin to install Aeris' menu on my Kindle Touch.
Complete with upstart job to activate it.

And if I use kterm to perform an `initctl restart aeris_menu`, the menu even activates and all.

BUT, the upstart job which I tried starting after lab126_gui, framework, and pillow, is still firing off too soon (before the GUI is available to accept the inserted HTML). So it is basically useless as is.

Does anyone have any idea how I can tell it to run at the right time? Because I cannot figure out what upstart job is associated with the right point in the device's initiation sequence.
Or should I give up and install a crontab to hammer away every minute or two?

@encol,

Kindlets are not firmware or device-specific. All the touchscreen devices use the same KDK 2.

Something like Collections Manager needs to be recompiled with the appropriate firmware-specific libraries, only because it actually uses java classes from the framework and therefore needs firmware-specific adapters to hook into obfuscated and decompiled .jars because Amazon is being evil.
Which is totally different (and is actually a source code update).

Instead, it appears Amazon finally killed off Kindlet support in the Oasis firmware for good.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-12-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eschwartz: What start on/stop on stanzas are you currently using?

EDIT: Try start on framework_ready (or possibly start on framework_ready and started kb and started pillow like lab126_gui_setup)
Which means I usually do a stop on stopping framework when using that.

----

Did anyone ever confirm that it still behaved properly on FW >= 5.5.x, though?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-13-2016 at 06:43 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I am no upstart guru... I just imitated likely inspirational sources and ended up with start on starting framework, stop on stopping framework.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, no luck.