Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #421
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belkaar View Post
My first post and first steps:

!! Read the entire tutorial before starting. If you don't understand one of the steps don't try it. You will risk bricking your Kindle !!

How to enable SSH via Wifi on Kindle 4 (4.0.1) nt on windows:

1) Get your kindle serial from the settings menu

2) Run the following python code to get your root password
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import hashlib
print("fiona%s"%hashlib.md5("XXXYOURSERIALXXX\n".encode('utf-8')).hexdigest()[7:11])
3) Enter diagnostic mode: create an empty file with name ENABLE_DIAGS on your kindle via USB and reboot (Settings -> Menu -> Restart)

4) In diagnostic mode plug in the USB cable and go to usb networking: Misc individual diagnostics -> Utilities -> Enable USBnet

5) Install windows driver. Windows (7) won't recognize the correct driver, so you have to select it manually: Go to device manager, and select the new unkown device, right click and install driver. Then click your way to the driver list, select "Network card" then "Microsoft Inc" then "Remote NDIS based internet sharing device"

6) setup windows network. Setup the IP for the new connection: IP 192.168.15.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0, rest empty

7) Open ssh client like putty and connect to 192.168.15.244 user name root and password from the python script 'fionaXXXX' (or 'mario' for 4.0)

8) mount main partition
Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
9) copy dropbear binary:
Code:
cp -r /usr/local /mnt/base-mmc/usr/
sync
10) add firewall rule:
Code:
vi /mnt/base-mmc/etc/sysconfig/iptables
add line
Code:
-A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
hit ESC , then enter :wq and press enter

11) reboot: On the kindle exit usb mode and go to the main menu, then select 'Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags' -> 'Disable Diagnostics'

12) disconnect USB cable

13) after it finished rebootin you can point your SSH client (or WinSCP) to the Wifi IP when kindle is running in normal mode
putty freezes up at the password screen (I try typing in fionaXXXX [I won't tell you those X's!], but it doesn't show anything. Help?
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #422
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
putty freezes up at the password screen (I try typing in fionaXXXX [I won't tell you those X's!], but it doesn't show anything. Help?
It does not echo the password as you type it.
Would not be very secure if it did, now would it?
Keep following the directions; type your password, press the 'enter' key when done.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #423
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It does not echo the password as you type it.
Would not be very secure if it did, now would it?
Keep following the directions; type your password, press the 'enter' key when done.
Oh, but now it just says access denied. And I am running on a :
kindle 4NT with SO and username as root, I still wont say my password (but I might if this keeps up?=)
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #424
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
Oh, but now it just says access denied. And I am running on a :
kindle 4NT with SO and username as root, I still wont say my password (but I might if this keeps up?=)
Access denied can mean more than one thing.

try a port scan of the device. check 22 is actually open. if not you have another issue.

also: Capitalisation is important in those password generators. ensure you have the correct password. I think that applies to the python method. try mixing the case and see.
(I did try testing this but didn't have python on my device. I should go put it on there)

HTH

EDIT: Telling us your password won't help. but describing your exact method of deriving the password might just throw up an error in "process". for example.

The "how you got there" is often just as important as "what you got".

Last edited by twobob; 10-22-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: how, not what, python, extra notes
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #425
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Is there a new touchscreen eink kindle that runs version 4.0 firmware, as indicated by the title of this thread?

If not, perhaps this thread should be renamed to include a REAL kindle model such as K4 or K5...

EDIT: I requested a thread title "correction". The current "[Progress] Jailbreaking Kindle 4.0 (Touch/No Keyboard)" was incorrect from the start, created back before people actually knew the correct firmware version of a K5 and two kindle models released at almost the same time caused this confusion. No need to keep confusing people now that we know better.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-22-2012 at 08:35 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #426
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Is there a new touchscreen eink kindle that runs version 4.0 firmware, as indicated by the title of this thread?

If not, perhaps this thread should be renamed to include a REAL kindle model such as K4 or K5...
He's discussing a 4NT. AFAIK
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #427
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
He's discussing a 4NT. AFAIK
Except the thread title clearly says "(Touch/No Keyboard)". Resurrecting such an old (and mistakenly titled) thread from the dark ages of the K5 is not particularly helpful, when there are much newer threads for this purpose.

EDIT: Thread necromancy such as this is especially inappropriate when his post is about a completely different kindle model (Non-touch vs. Touch).

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-22-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #428
twobob

Quote:
Except the thread title clearly says "(Touch/No Keyboard)". Resurrecting such an old thread from the dark ages of the K5 is not particularly helpful, when there are much newer threads for this purpose.
Deleted and re-added and deleted my comments about thread hijacking TWICE.

Don't want the OP to imagine persecution as my overall vibe has been a bit preachy today. Which is purely reactionary but nevertheless potentially inflammatory.

Still. now you've said it.... It's said
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #429
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Except the thread title clearly says "(Touch/No Keyboard)".
waterlubber is trying to work out frustrations by multiple posting in as many threads as possible.

That old: "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" type of posting.

The goal mentioned was to: "roll back 4.0.1" which can mean only: "roll back to 4.0".

Since both of those choices are so old, I would not be surprised if what waterlubber now has is 4.1 (unless the update process was blocked for a very long time).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #430
twobob

I for one welcome the enthusiasm. Necro bumping and flame suits aside.

Not entirely sure of the feature benefits of such a downgrade, as I don't know the flavour.

I think I said that it's a bit radical as an option. lots of stuff can be "tweaked" but it would depend on the OP's remit. which is unknown mainly.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #431
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
... -Kindle 4.0 is called "yoshi". 3.0 was luigi and 2.0 was mario. I can't remember 1.0, but we see a pattern here. ...
I have a K1 I am spelunking now. K1 is "fiona". Only necroed this thread to prequel the sequence...
Old 04-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #432
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
This might help, although the accuracy might be a bit iffy for really old stuff (before the distinction between boards and platforms was made clear).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #433
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
This might help, although the accuracy might be a bit iffy for really old stuff (before the distinction between boards and platforms was made clear).
That reference list in your linked header file says "Mario", but the log files on my K1 call it "Fiona".
Code:
Apr 21 11:21:56 kernel: PNLCD: Fiona PNLCD Driver v0.94
Apr 21 11:21:56 kernel: KEYBOARD: Fiona Keyboard Driver v1.0
I will need to unpack and check the GPL source files to see if they agree (though they should, because THEY are writing to the log files). I wonder where that "Mario" comment in your (YiFanlu's) header file came from -- perhaps a guess (especially with that question mark in the comment)?

Interestingly, the K1 does not use eMMC (which has built-in write wear-leveling and bad block relocation). Instead it has vulnerable raw flash, and the firmware contains a Samsung XSR driver which performs though missing functions on writable raw bml (block management level) partitions, providing virtual stl (sector translation level) devices when a partition must be mounted as writable. The only partitions mounted as writable are /mnt/us/ and /opt/ (and writable user vars are stored in /opt/var instead of nonexistent /var/local). I will start a thread to document my K1 research at some point.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-21-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #434
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Might be one such mismatch between board and platform. Or simply an erroneous assumption for lack of data at the time, because, when I think about it, I really don't see the K1 and K2 sharing the same platform, given they run on a different arch ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #435
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Might be one such mismatch between board and platform. Or simply an erroneous assumption for lack of data at the time, because, when I think about it, I really don't see the K1 and K2 sharing the same platform, given they run on a different arch ^^.
Making Mario and Fiona "arch rivals"?

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-22-2016 at 10:33 AM.