Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #496
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbooo View Post
Hey "X" if you're still around. Firstly of course I'll echo everyone's gratitude for the nice toolset you've handed us. Unfortunately I'm mostly here to whine about a problem I'm having though. Similarly to a few others I've seen on my skim through the thread, I'm on Windows 7 and Office 2010, using the 2007 template, and Word crashes during the export. It seems to crash at the instant that a second instance of Word opens. Unlike some others though, nothing is created for me. I would just move on and use something else but I've prepared 100 files before realising that export doesn't work! (Woe is me!) So, I'd prefer to find out how to get it working.

I thought maybe permissions or somesuch was at fault. I stored my template file on the desktop (because I'm lazy and messy) and I thought maybe that was it. So I copied it to a "normal" folder and tried a brand new fresh new file but still no luck. I'm using all the proper buttons to set title, author. Mostly using the magic chapter finder (I love you so much for this, btw). Alas nothing works.

Any ideas, anyone?
I'm still around, though I hardly visit the site anymore.

I'm not sure what problem you are seeing is. The issue did exist for everyone at one point but I rewrote the 2007 template to resolve that defect. Since then I've not seen or have been able to reproduce the problem.

My configuration is very similar to yours, I have Windows 7 and office 2010. The way I start a word doc is to double click on the template (I actually have gravitated to putting a shortcut on my task bar since I use it so often).

Some data that might help me resolve this issue is to enable the debug flag, it's on one of the tabs on the "create eBook" dialogbox. It will produce a "debug.txt" file in the same location of the word doc. Also show a screen shot of the error if an error is being shown.

Btw your welcome, hopefully we can get this issue resolved for you so you can keep on enjoying the tool.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #497
JDufort
JDufort began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3gtouch
X, I just noticed that you replied to a recent post yet my October 2012 post has not caught your attention. I'm therefore resubmitting the integral content in hopes that you can assist me with this matter of mine.*Many thanks Jacques.

Repost of eralier info:
First thanks for the tool which, if I'm able to get to work correctly, is exactly what I was looking for. Here are my issues though. First know that I use windows 7 32bit with Office 2007 and your 2007 macro. I've got an English OS and an English version of MSOffice but type in French most of the time so the test file I'm sending is in French (I have French as my keyboard and language selection could this have an effect)

Anyways, as I create the file, I originally used the Title Author, chapters, sub-chapters from your template etc... to mark my book. Creating a TOC even worked as advertised. My issue appears when I try creating an EPUB version. I've used two methods (i.e. make an epub from within the template by using the "create an Ebook" button and also going through SIGIL by going save as filtered html and then opening with Sigil). In both cases, whether I use Sigil or flightcrew to validate the epub file, I get messages such as the ones below. Am I doing something wrong? I read somewhere that epub didn't recognize 'name' but used 'id' instead. Is that the case here and if so what can I do to use the template whithout having to manually change 'name' to 'id' or can I? And if that's the case what would I change 'vlink' and 'link' to?

Furtehrmore, even though the TOC was created fine in the Word doc using your macro, SIGIL doesn't recognize the headers as being chapters, sub chapters etc... The only way I got to get SIGIL to recognize my items for what they were (TOC items) was when I use the header 1-2-3-4 etc... format instead of the macro preformatted chapter headers . So is this what I need to do, not make use of your macro preformats?
In essence, my question should be, what is the best way to use your template and all its features and still pass the epub validation tests?

Many thanks for all your hard work and for the tme you'll spend answering this question.

Jacques

Line 455 - attribute 'link' is not declared for element 'body'
Line 455 - attribute 'vlink' is not declared for element 'body'
Line 465 - attribute 'name' is not declared for element 'a'

PS I can provide you the small htm and/or word file if need be.
JDufort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #498
timbooo
timbooo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm still around, though I hardly visit the site anymore.

I'm not sure what problem you are seeing is. The issue did exist for everyone at one point but I rewrote the 2007 template to resolve that defect. Since then I've not seen or have been able to reproduce the problem.

My configuration is very similar to yours, I have Windows 7 and office 2010. The way I start a word doc is to double click on the template (I actually have gravitated to putting a shortcut on my task bar since I use it so often).

Some data that might help me resolve this issue is to enable the debug flag, it's on one of the tabs on the "create eBook" dialogbox. It will produce a "debug.txt" file in the same location of the word doc. Also show a screen shot of the error if an error is being shown.

Btw your welcome, hopefully we can get this issue resolved for you so you can keep on enjoying the tool.

=X=
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I wish I had found that debug option earlier. It helped me solve my problem, which was an annoyingly simple one.

It was looking in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\" for ebook-convert.exe

I am running the 64 bit version of Calibre, which of course doesn't live there*.
So I changed the Calibre path in the dialog box, and now it works just fine.

Thanks! Maybe you could add a little note in your original post for idiots like me who might not think to look for that.

While I'm here is there any way to suppress the auto Calibre cover page? Other than adding in a proper one?

ALSO (sorry, lol) when I open up a file I was working on using your template, the extra tab doesn't appear. It only appears if I open the template first, keeping that window open, then open up the file. Is that normal?

* It lives in C:\Program Files\Calibre2\

Last edited by timbooo; 02-01-2013 at 02:55 AM.
timbooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #499
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are not doing anything wrong, the issue you mentioned has been reported by a user earlier in this thread. The problem lies with Microsoft. BookCreator uses Microsoft's Word engine to create html which in turn is used to create the eBook. The html it creates has tags that cause ePUBs validator to fail the ePUB.

The workaround the individual used was to create the eBook via BookCreator, then import the ePUB to Sigel to fix the errors. (Since sPIN in a zip file you can also fix the file by hand)

Since I only use BookCreator for personal use so I don't ever validate my ePUBs so I've never really looked into this problem. If you can provide me with the tags that are chasing the errors and the correct equivalent tag I can look into fixing those tags.(You mentioned the 'name' and 'vlink' tags are you s sure they are the problem?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDufort View Post
X, I just noticed that you replied to a recent post yet my October 2012 post has not caught your attention. I'm therefore resubmitting the integral content in hopes that you can assist me with this matter of mine.*Many thanks Jacques.

Repost of eralier info:
First thanks for the tool which, if I'm able to get to work correctly, is exactly what I was looking for. Here are my issues though. First know that I use windows 7 32bit with Office 2007 and your 2007 macro. I've got an English OS and an English version of MSOffice but type in French most of the time so the test file I'm sending is in French (I have French as my keyboard and language selection could this have an effect)

Anyways, as I create the file, I originally used the Title Author, chapters, sub-chapters from your template etc... to mark my book. Creating a TOC even worked as advertised. My issue appears when I try creating an EPUB version. I've used two methods (i.e. make an epub from within the template by using the "create an Ebook" button and also going through SIGIL by going save as filtered html and then opening with Sigil). In both cases, whether I use Sigil or flightcrew to validate the epub file, I get messages such as the ones below. Am I doing something wrong? I read somewhere that epub didn't recognize 'name' but used 'id' instead. Is that the case here and if so what can I do to use the template whithout having to manually change 'name' to 'id' or can I? And if that's the case what would I change 'vlink' and 'link' to?

Furtehrmore, even though the TOC was created fine in the Word doc using your macro, SIGIL doesn't recognize the headers as being chapters, sub chapters etc... The only way I got to get SIGIL to recognize my items for what they were (TOC items) was when I use the header 1-2-3-4 etc... format instead of the macro preformatted chapter headers . So is this what I need to do, not make use of your macro preformats?
In essence, my question should be, what is the best way to use your template and all its features and still pass the epub validation tests?

Many thanks for all your hard work and for the tme you'll spend answering this question.

Jacques

Line 455 - attribute 'link' is not declared for element 'body'
Line 455 - attribute 'vlink' is not declared for element 'body'
Line 465 - attribute 'name' is not declared for element 'a'

PS I can provide you the small htm and/or word file if need be.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #500
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbooo View Post

While I'm here is there any way to suppress the auto Calibre cover page? Other than adding in a proper one?

ALSO (sorry, lol) when I open up a file I was working on using your template, the extra tab doesn't appear. It only appears if I open the template first, keeping that window open, then open up the file. Is that normal?
At the moment there is no way, well there is one. If you find the command line syntax to disable the default page you can add that syntax to the "additional command" in the Misc. tab. I'll look into adding a disable flag for future releases.

I'm not sure what tab bar your taking about. But I knew there is a ribbon that shows up under similar circumstances, which shouldn't....it's the old UI for 2003 compatibility
Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #501
thalen
thalen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ericsson Zylo (W20)
Newcomers's observation: Template included it current archive (*.dotm) WILL NOT EXECUTE properly even though the toolbar may be visible. Any attempt to make use of it shall result in Error 5941 "The requested member of the collection does not exist."

One must use *.dot template of the same to see available style options right from the start and use them as needed. I tried to incude this info in BookCreator wiki yesterday but was refused for some reason.

Last edited by thalen; 03-12-2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: typos
thalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #502
=X=
Wizard

Hi Talen,
I'm not sure that is correct, the "dot" extension is for 2003 and lower versions of Word. The other formats is for 2007 and on.

So while dot files work with 2007 in compatibility mode, dotm files will work natively.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #503
thalen
thalen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ericsson Zylo (W20)
Hello =X=,

Not being a programmer I most likely brought confusion into the matter, thank you for clarification. In the meantime I managed to format my "test drive" e-book to my complete satisfaction however I still do encounter strange behaviour while working with the template. Is there any particular folder within "Program Files" or "Application data" structures wherein your template should be placed in in order to work properly?

Last edited by thalen; 03-13-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typos
thalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #504
=X=
Wizard

My method is to put the template file in my documents folder under a directory file I made titled Templates. I then make a short cut to the file on my launch bar. To run the tool,I just click on the shortcut and it launched a new word document.

Btw I think the issue you might be having us a security issue make sure word is set up to allow macros to execute.