Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2021, 04:52 AM   #16
windirt
windirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Voyage(Kdroid), Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Hacking an 8bitdo is a bit outside the scope of this forum. You may have to look elsewhere for that info.

You’ve encountered the problem we discovered on the original Elipsa thread on this topic. We could pair many different devices to the Elipsa, but none of them sent the “page turn” signal. Even keyboards couldn’t do it. It turned out only a presentation device sent out that actual signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I mean if you can turn the event of the Bluetooth device into the event of the system's own page button through the method of event relay, such as udev or whatever.

I saw on some web pages that you can use udev as a program to achieve similar changes, but the kobo native rootfs does not have this executable file.
windirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #17
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kobo Claras, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4, iPad 6 & iPhoneXS
Is there a Bluetooth page turner for Libra2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windirt View Post
I mean if you can turn the event of the Bluetooth device into the event of the system's own page button through the method of event relay, such as udev or whatever.

I saw on some web pages that you can use udev as a program to achieve similar changes, but the kobo native rootfs does not have this executable file.

You might want to wander over to the Kobo dev forum. I’m sure there’s somebody there who can advise you on how to install an app on the Linux side of the HD partition.

I’m the meantime, I found a Bluetooth presentation clicker for under $20 on Amazon, so I’ll test it out and report back here. When I read manga on my Elipsa, I reverse the page turn layout, but the swipe is backwards for manga and bugs me. I’ve been thinking of using a page turner instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 12-10-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:49 PM   #18
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Bluetooth presentation clicker arrived. It's some Chinese thing that came in slightly different packaging with a different brand name. However, after cycling its mode by pressing < & > simultaneously, I got it to work with my Elipsa.

Here's the link: https://amzn.to/3ygLauG I paid $19.94 with a coupon. Watch for a sale.

It takes one AA battery, and once the battery is in, it automatically starts seeking to pair with a device. It doesn't seem to have an OFF mode, however, but I believe it powers down on its own. I haven't had it long enough to test. It also comes with other presentation controls that don't do anything on the Kobo, including a laser pointer. Now if only I had a cat…

At any rate, as much as people complained about laziness, I have to admit that the page turner made reading manga a pleasure. Manga reads right to left, and although I can alter the previous/next layout on the Kobo reader, Kobo swiping is still very much left to right in implementation. It feels off to me when reading Japanese texts. Also, since I disable tapping because that tends to interfere with handwritten annotation, as well as the brightness swipe, swiping next for comics is a lot of repetition (since the pages read faster than text only ebooks). Clicking to advance the page was simply delightful. The clicker was easy to operate and the Kobo reacted quickly to each key press. I highly recommend getting one.

You'll need to pair the device every time you want to use it, though. Just remember to do it before opening the comic. Kobo has Bluetooth on an extreme energy saving mode, so Bluetooth is constantly shutting off when left idle.

For now, NickelMenu has no setting for Bluetooth, so I look forward to the day when I can quickly toggle Bluetooth back on by using a menu shortcut. Frankly, I'd like to see an icon in the reading menu next to the battery icon to just tap on, but knowing Kobo, we'll have to tap for a dropdown menu, then select, then confirm LOL, but that will still be faster than exiting a book, going to Home, tapping More, tapping Settings, tapping Bluetooth, then pairing. I hope Kobo gives us more Bluetooth controls in the future. For now, I'm super excited about using a page turner even with the clunky steps.

Last edited by Cootey; 12-11-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:22 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
At any rate, as much as people complained about laziness, I have to admit that the page turner made reading manga a pleasure. Manga reads right to left, and although I can alter the previous/next layout on the Kobo reader, Kobo swiping is still very much left to right in implementation. It feels off to me when reading Japanese texts.
I don't understand what you mean by swiping being "very much left to right". The device supports swiping horizontally in either direction and turns the page to match the direction of the swipe.

But, you can also set the reading direction. If you set it to right-to-left for a book, the direction of the page turn buttons match this. For comics, it has to be set after the book is on the device. My Kobo Utilities plugin can do this from calibre.

As to the Bluetooth presentation clicker, good to hear it is working. Kobo have told me they tested things like this to make sure they did, but, it would probably depend as much on the clicker as the Kobo device.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:07 AM   #20
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra 2; Kindle PaperWhite
This seems to be the same model, although under a different name, in the Canadian Amazon store:

https://www.amazon.ca/LNKOO-Presenta.../dp/B07YKXFLW8

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 12-12-2021 at 12:12 AM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #21
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
This seems to be the same model, although under a different name, in the Canadian Amazon store:

https://www.amazon.ca/LNKOO-Presenta.../dp/B07YKXFLW8
Yes. Looks the same. In China, distributors can order from manufacturers and just have their logos placed on the product. That's why there are so many products that look the same on Amazon, but you probably already know all this. With apologies to Logitech and their gorgeous presentation clicker, I just wanted a cheap device to turn pages for me. So China wins out.

Last edited by Cootey; 12-12-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:11 PM   #22
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't understand what you mean by swiping being "very much left to right". The device supports swiping horizontally in either direction and turns the page to match the direction of the swipe.

But, you can also set the reading direction. If you set it to right-to-left for a book, the direction of the page turn buttons match this. For comics, it has to be set after the book is on the device. My Kobo Utilities plugin can do this from calibre.
I just found it backwards from other Japanese manga reading apps that I've used even after changing the turn buttons to match. However, I don't recall altering the reading direction for the manga. That's not something I see in the Reading Settings. Also, I don't see an option for that in your Kobo Utilities plugin. Could you explain? Thanks!

Last edited by Cootey; 12-12-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I just found it backwards from other Japanese manga reading apps that I've used even after changing the turn buttons to match. However, I don't recall altering the reading direction for the manga. That's not something I see in the Reading Settings. Also, I don't see an option for that in your Kobo Utilities plugin. Could you explain? Thanks!
Setting the reading direction is in the "Update metadata in device database" function. If that's all you want to changed, deselect all the other option and select it.

If the format of your Manga is epub or kepub, you can also set the direction in the book. That should be read when the book is loaded. And if you set it for an individual file in the book, it can be used from there as well. But, it's been ages since I last played with this, and I don't remember the exact details. I'm sure it is in some threads here.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote