Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Riptide
Riptide began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle noob... purchased books can't open with Kindle

Hello,

So having just received my Kindle, I loaded up a couple of books that were sent my way, and loved them! Looking for the next book in the series and having issues with amazon (am in Canada), I decided that because I really liked the author, I'd just purchase the books from a different site, and be done with it. I've since done some reading on how to work around Amazon's Canadian restrictions.

I purchased four books from ebooks.com (at $7.99 each). After paying for the books, I was instructed to download and install Mobipocket reader, then provide the Personal ID (PID) from Mobipocket reader. This was done, and the books were then downloaded in prc form. I thought this was great as it meant I would just be able to load them onto my Kindle, and read away.

When I transfered them onto my Kindle, it recognized them, however it will not allow me to open/read them. I get an error message indicating that the selected item could not be opened and if purchased from Amazon, to contact them.

I do not want to read these books on my desktop... I only purchased them, as I'm attempting to convert my paperbacks into ebooks to read on my Kindle.

Any ideas on how I can make it possible to read these on my Kindle? Does Kindle 2 have a PID? And if how, how do I find that out?
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Kindle doesn't read DRM'd prc books, the DRM will need to be removed for it to work (except in certain circumstances, like if they came from an Over Drive server and in that case a script needs to be run on the file).

The Kindle does have a PID, however we're not allowed to mention the script that allows you to get it on the forum. You can probably find out about your Kindle's PID via Google.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Riptide

Thank you. I've been browsing the forums, and have found out more info... at least not all is lost. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
... at least not all is lost. Thanks!
Not at all. As long as you're willing to remove the DRM you'll be able to read it on your Kindle and also be able to convert it if need be for any future devices you might have.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Riptide

I managed to find my Kindle's PID, and re downloaded the ebook. Now instead of the error message telling me to contact Amazon, I get one where it's saying that the book is not authorized for this Kindle. I assume this is where I have to remove the DRM?

What a pain in the ass just to read a legally purchased book on the Kindle... I wonder how many sales retailers are losing by forcing people to jump through these hoops to buy their products, as opposed to just downloading torrents?
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
I managed to find my Kindle's PID, and re downloaded the ebook. Now instead of the error message telling me to contact Amazon, I get one where it's saying that the book is not authorized for this Kindle. I assume this is where I have to remove the DRM?
The Mobi desktop PID would have worked to remove the DRM, no need to put the Kindle PID in and re-download any PID will do. But yes, you should be set to remove the DRM.

Quote:
What a pain in the ass just to read a legally purchased book on the Kindle... I wonder how many sales retailers are losing by forcing people to jump through these hoops to buy their products, as opposed to just downloading torrents?
I'll agree DRM is a PITA, but in this case you have to expect some hoops. The Kindle is meant to use books from Amazon (for DRM'd books anyway). Until recently it's meant to be a US only product. So to want to use it in another way one has to expect a few hoops.

FYI, just so you know for future reference, ebooks.com is generally one of the most expensive places to get books so you might want to shop around a bit.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Riptide

mobi desktop?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Welcome to the nasty world of DRM. Sucks big time doesn't it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Riptide

Uh huh. I'm all for stopping pirating... but this is retarded... I'm at the point where I would just rebuy the book for my kindle... if it was that easy...

EDIT:

Anyway I've managed to make some progress... now the python script is telling me

invalid PID checksum

When I tested this with the PID Igor provided in his scripts, I received the same error...

Have posted questions about this on the pid checksum thread.

Last edited by Riptide; 10-13-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Open Mobipocket Reader on your PC, Help --> About. There you will find you PID.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #11
Riptide

My Kindle isn't being recognized by my desktop... will try that on my laptop later.

On a side note, I have found a way to purchase books through Amazon.com's site without a US credit card. While I'll still continue messing with the DRM (as I still have to fix 3 of the 4 books I bought off of ebooks.com - I say 3 because I just re-bought one from Amazon's site), I'm happy to have found a method that will allow me to easily add to my collection without a huge process.

Last edited by Riptide; 10-13-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I was assuming that when you bought the books you gave the PID of your Mobipocket desktop reader (which is what I did). You have to use the PID of device you registered when you purchased the books to unlock them.

Glad to hear that you have found a way to buy on Amazon US, I can buy there, too (at least for the moment). I must ask anyone not to post any working solutions but rather share them by PM on request only. That is the best way to make sure that we won't get locked out quickly. Publishers and ebook sellers are watching us and seem to be closing these back doors as we post here about them.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #13
Riptide

Fair enough. Am more than willing to share... PM if interested.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #14
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
My Kindle isn't being recognized by my desktop... will try that on my laptop later.

On a side note, I have found a way to purchase books through Amazon.com's site without a US credit card. While I'll still continue messing with the DRM (as I still have to fix 3 of the 4 books I bought off of ebooks.com - I say 3 because I just re-bought one from Amazon's site), I'm happy to have found a method that will allow me to easily add to my collection without a huge process.
Well, it was a long time ago when I started buying .lit at amazon, mainly because i have a program that would un-drm it. Then found out amazon stop selling .lit and my library gone. Lucky I have un-drm-ed copies inside my pc.
I don't blame the publisher for the DRM mindset. Like it or not, writers need to be protected for the works they do. And it's not only sharing that they want to protect. I've seen printed pirated books in countries where they publish a certain title and sell them on par with the original, authorized, publisher-paid-the-writer edition. So it's understandable that a certain level of protection is applied to the ebooks.
Having said that, I'm now with .prc and .ePub format to read on my iPhone (and maybe on my Kindle 2 or Sony soon). I just make sure I have an updated set of python and the required .py(s) for mobi/ade. Say, I buy something from booksonboard or fictionwise, or even ebooks.com (3 stores I buy ebooks from), I need only to go to my C:\Python26 folder in command prompt, and type the appropriate .py commands. Not a hassle, but I can understand it might be a huge process at the beginning. Afterwards, the enjoyment of reading on the device of your own choosing. Priceless...
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Riptide

Yeah, I'm sure once I get it figured out it will be less of an issue. Until then... my forehead is already bloody and scared....