Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

More lines in Dictionary popup window

Dictionary popup window changes in new Kindles

It seems from the videos I watched of the new Kindles that they now display 3 lines of text for the word definition and 1 line of text for instructions. The older Kindles displayed 2 lines of text for the word definition and 1 line of text for instructions. I know that doesn't sound like a huge improvement but it is actually a 50% increase in lines of definition for a word.

EDIT: It has been pointed out that the Dictionary popup windows are different on the new non-touch and new Touch models. Below is a breakdown of the popups:

Kindle 3: Contains 2 lines of word-definition text.
Kindle 4 (non-touch): Contains 3 lines of word-definition text.
Kindle Touch: Contains 4 lines of word-definition text.

The attached image shows the Dictionary popup window on the Kindle 3. @ucfgrad93 post below shows the Dictionary popup windows for the new Kindles.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k3-dictionary.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	77133  

Last edited by jswinden; 09-29-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
It looks like there will be differences between the Touch and non-touch Kindles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	touch dictionary.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	77131   Click image for larger version

Name:	basic dictionary.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	77132  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I like they way that the Touch shows the Dictionary popup. Most Android and iOS reader apps do that as well as some of the other eInk readers. On my K3 that tiny popup window with two lines means I often have to go to the full page. Going to the full Dictionary page is slow on a K3.

I do wish Kindles would show the pronunciation in the popup window since that is often the only thing I need to look up. I'm currently reading A Distant Mirror and frequently need to look up the pronunciation of French cities and names. It is painfully slow on the K3 to go to the full Dictionary page to see the pronunciation.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-29-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I agree, I like that the Kindle touch dictionary shows more lines.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I agree, I like that the Kindle touch dictionary shows more lines.
I agree too, it's a subtle change but well worth it.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's the first thing I noticed about the Touch. I like the new changes.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I agree that three lines of definition are a lot better than two.

But it depends in part on which dictionary you are using. I've no problem with default dictionary on the Kindle 2. But I recall someone here complaining that they had installed an alternative dictionary (don't remember which one), and the first line is always wasted because it shows etymological information, which is usually of no interest when you are doing a quick lookup. In cases like that, three lines would be even more valuable.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle