Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
I got in touch, and they're saying the phone is coming "soon". Hopefully that means weeks, not months.
That means it will be coming out just about the same time that they offer that long promised system update to bring all their Android 6 devices up to Android 9...

Actually, I'm quite happy with my Android 6 devices and by the fact that they are continuing to offer firmware updates for them. Wish they would do the same for their Android 4 devices.

However, I do hope that they come out with an eink phone soon. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the various Hisense eink models. It would be nice to see some competition in the eink phone market.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
norweger
Zealot
norweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Lolz. I was hoping they were late wanting to give us a color display, surpassing that of Hisense. But alas, it's prolly the Android 9 that's holding them back. To my needs Android 6 is the most suitable, so ...

But yeah. New phones would be welcome. I think they're snappy fast compared to most e-readers, so I do want one.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #18
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
But yeah. New phones would be welcome. I think they're snappy fast compared to most e-readers, so I do want one.
My Hisense A5 is much snappier than either my Note Pro or Nova Pro. So much easier to select text to look up in a dictionary. Much more portable, too. My onyx devices are now mainly for PDFs or note taking/sketching.

As for my Kobo devices, I only turn them on a couple of times a year just to charge them to keep the batteries healthy.

I'm sorely tempted to get the Hisense A5 Pro Colour phone. Just waiting to see if anything else more tempting comes out on the market in the near future.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:08 AM   #19
cicabum
Zealot
cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx T68, Onyx Note, Kingrow K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
My Hisense A5 is much snappier than either my Note Pro or Nova Pro. So much easier to select text to look up in a dictionary. Much more portable, too. My onyx devices are now mainly for PDFs or note taking/sketching.

As for my Kobo devices, I only turn them on a couple of times a year just to charge them to keep the batteries healthy.

I'm sorely tempted to get the Hisense A5 Pro Colour phone. Just waiting to see if anything else more tempting comes out on the market in the near future.
Hello. Have you the Hisense A5 with or without Google play? does it work very good? Thank you
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Hello. Have you the Hisense A5 with or without Google play? does it work very good? Thank you
Without Google Play Services. Was able to find the apps that I use on F-Droid and the Aurora store and easily sideloaded them onto the A5. It works brilliantly for my needs. I can even make phone calls or send texts on it which I seldom do.

Got it at the CECT Shop. Fantastic, professional service.

Avoid purchasing from Aliexpress as there is a disreputable seller there who pretends to ship the devices, but doesn't. One then has to go through the lengthy dispute process to get one's money back from Aliexpress.

It will be interesting to see if Onyx can make an eink phone to rival Hisense's devices. They've got their work cut out. Hope they can do it as it would be nice to see more innovation.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #21
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: none
On my request for more information about the progress in the release of the new EINK smartphone, today I got the following answer from ONYX:

"I think more exact information will be available next week."
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #22
norweger
Zealot
norweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy bluenorweger can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Next week? Oh yes! I have waited a long time, and my phone died just last Friday. So hopefully it'll be possible to postpone buying a new until the Onyx is out.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote