Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
JayKindle
Connoisseur
JayKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8
New update popup?

I wish there was a way that you can add a pop up on the tray icon so it alerts us when a new update is available. You see, I plan on keeping Calibre running, so I can always get my daily RSS feeds on news articles.

Right now the only way I know if there is an update, is to restart Calibre. I didn't find a "new update" in the menu to click on. Unless I am not looking in the right place?

BTW, thanks for the update!
JayKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre is updated every Friday.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
JayKindle
Connoisseur
JayKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8
Thanks. That's good to know.
JayKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKindle View Post
I wish there was a way that you can add a pop up on the tray icon so it alerts us when a new update is available. You see, I plan on keeping Calibre running, so I can always get my daily RSS feeds on news articles.

Right now the only way I know if there is an update, is to restart Calibre. I didn't find a "new update" in the menu to click on. Unless I am not looking in the right place?

BTW, thanks for the update!
i have calibre always open, but it does tell me about updates - not as a pop-up but as a message at foot of main screen.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
If Calibre is running, I get a pop up message. I think only if it is running in the tray.

And it also says at the lower right of the main screen of Calibre
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Is there any reason to keep Calibre up to date? I'm still at V8.6 which is serving me well.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Is there any reason to keep Calibre up to date? I'm still at V8.6 which is serving me well.
If you ever have problems, then the first step should be going to the current release to see if the problem still exists. If it does, then a bug report is called for.

Or, if suddenly you want to use a feature you have seen discussed on the forums, and it has been added to a version post 8.6, or even if you want to use a plugin to extend the functionality.

Or even, you acquire a new eReader (say a Sony T1) and it requires a different device driver than existing Sonys do.

Basically it comes down to personal preferences.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote