Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
mark03
Enthusiast
mark03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Kindle 3 wifi: mini-PCIe as USB host?

I have a Kindle 3 wifi coming in the mail. While I wait I've been reading threads here

From the disassembly pictures I've seen, the wifi-only version doesn't have the mini-PCIe connector mounted. For the 3G version, I believe the card connects via USB on that connector. Has anyone hacked a USB host port through this route? Is there any reason in principle why you couldn't hook up a keyboard, mouse, or whatever?

For those with the wifi-only Kindle 3 (no connector), I found a Molex mini-PCIe connector at Digikey and Mouser which looks like the one in the pictures. It's currently on backorder, though.
mark03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark03 View Post
I have a Kindle 3 wifi coming in the mail. While I wait I've been reading threads here

From the disassembly pictures I've seen, the wifi-only version doesn't have the mini-PCIe connector mounted. For the 3G version, I believe the card connects via USB on that connector. Has anyone hacked a USB host port through this route? Is there any reason in principle why you couldn't hook up a keyboard, mouse, or whatever?

For those with the wifi-only Kindle 3 (no connector), I found a Molex mini-PCIe connector at Digikey and Mouser which looks like the one in the pictures. It's currently on backorder, though.
It is most likely possible, bur why would you want to? Mouse/keyboards doesn't seem useful for an ereader.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
mark03
Enthusiast
mark03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
It is most likely possible, bur why would you want to? Mouse/keyboards doesn't seem useful for an ereader.
Well, there are other things a USB host port might be handy for, like GPS, or [theoretically] being able to u-boot from a separate mass-storage device. But I can also imagine someone using their Kindle with a folding keyboard for blogging or email while traveling.

I actually found some mini-PCIe GPS cards on ebay---maybe cheap enough to try out, if I can find a mini-PCIe connector to solder on.

All this speculating and I'm still waiting for my Kindle to arrive!
mark03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Mouse/keyboards doesn't seem useful for an ereader.
a decent pointing device desperately needed on Kindle.
I'm thinking about a small trackpad stuck to kindle's back...
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
a decent pointing device desperately needed on Kindle.
I'm thinking about a small trackpad stuck to kindle's back...
But modifying the software to support it would be a pain. Thanks to Amazon's wonderful java obfuscation.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote