Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
gulo
Enthusiast
gulo is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
embeding fonts to epubs in Calibre - automated process

Hello

Hope this is the right forum for this question.

I just got a Nook and found out that it cannot display diacritic for certain Czech and Slovak characters (for example č, ř or ě).

After posting to another forum I was referred to a tool that can embed fonts into epub files. - http://code.google.com/p/epub-tools/

Using this tool I was able to create a test file with an embeded .otf font and it displayed fine on Nook. The problem is that this tool only accepts MS Word documents for input. All my ebooks are in Calibre in epub format.

My question is - is it possible to somehow create an automated conversion process in Calibre that would embed the font into an existing epub file ? After digging around my test epub file it looks like there are some .css stylesheet files pointing to the .otf font file, so I would think a generic template could be created for this ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it isn't. calibre will eventually get support for embedding fonts in epub files, until then you can add the necessary css to the extra css file and after conversion just open up the epub file using a zip program and add the ttf/otf font files
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
gulo
Enthusiast
gulo is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
any ETA on adding that feature to Calibre ?
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think it's on "When its done" ETA.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote