Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
Question Where do I register my eReader (France, USA, UK?)

Hello all

I just received my eReader PRS-600 today...it is charging quietly next to me. As I am beginning to load my ebooks library application with my ebook goodies, I realize that I need to register the device with some ebook store.

Some questions for those who may have some knowledge:

1. Do I NEED to register the device?
2. Does registering in one country LOCK me to the store in that country?
3. I am in France, and ordered it from the US. I am automatically directed to the French Sony Bookstore (which is connected to Fnac.com). Can I choose any country, or am I stuck with the French store?
4. If I choose the French store, can I change it later?

Thanks, can't seem to find anything about this (people here are talking about US/UK stores, and I don't seem to be able to figure out how they are able to make the choice in the application).

Thanks a million, Richard
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdparis View Post
Hello all

I just received my eReader PRS-600 today...it is charging quietly next to me. As I am beginning to load my ebooks library application with my ebook goodies, I realize that I need to register the device with some ebook store.

Some questions for those who may have some knowledge:

1. Do I NEED to register the device?
2. Does registering in one country LOCK me to the store in that country?
3. I am in France, and ordered it from the US. I am automatically directed to the French Sony Bookstore (which is connected to Fnac.com). Can I choose any country, or am I stuck with the French store?
4. If I choose the French store, can I change it later?

Thanks, can't seem to find anything about this (people here are talking about US/UK stores, and I don't seem to be able to figure out how they are able to make the choice in the application).

Thanks a million, Richard

Hi, I just skipped the whole registration process. I haven't tried to buy anything from the Sony store.

The only store I have purchased books from is fictionwise, and I didn't need any registration etc. I also got books from places like the Project gutenberg sci-fi list (The epub books labeled experimental), and they worked fine.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Download and install the Adobe Digital Editions software, and "authorise" both your PC and your Reader. You'll then be able to buy books from any ePub bookstore.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
rvdparis
Connoisseur

Thanks...I did the Adobe thing. Not sure it was necessary, because the ebooks library software (in the About screen) said it wasn't authorized for DRM content from Adobe (after I installed the Adobe software). But in Preferences of the ebook library software, you can choose your region (mine was France). I changed the region, restarted the app, and the US bookstore appeared magically. I registered my computer and my reader. After doing that, however, the software says I am not authorized to read adobe drm content. Perhaps I don't care?

Now can I put in my French credit card...? We'll see. I doubt it!

In any case, Thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have registered your device for the Sony eBook Store, not for Adobe DRM content. With the Sony eBook Library software running and the Reader connected, run ADE. It should pop up a message and ask you if you want to authorise your Reader. Say "Yes".
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
rvdparis
Connoisseur

Hi, thanks for responding. It doesn't ask me anything! I tried restarting both applications, in different order, and the About screen in the ebook library software says "not authorized to read Adobe DRM documents..." Maybe when I "fix permissions" on my mac later on, or reboot it, that will change this behavior.

For now, the ebook library software has registered my computer and my reader, and Adobe has registered only my computer. I guess I need to figure out how do I get Adobe to authorize my READER, and not just my computer...

[edit: I will wait until the reader is fully charged, then plug it in again, to see if ADE recognizes it...it seems to be the solution for other folks, other than ctrl-shift-e which doesn't work on a mac]

Last edited by rvdparis; 10-08-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, it's a Mac is it? In that case, the ADE functionality is built into the Mac version of the Sony eBook Library program, and you should be able to authorise your reader from there. Not being familiar with the Mac, though, I'll let someone else give you more information about that.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
rvdparis
Connoisseur

Thanks Harry, that seems to be the case. I did plug it back in after charging and ADE acted like nothing was there. But I AM registered with the ebook library software.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Thanks Harry, that seems to be the case. I did plug it back in after charging and ADE acted like nothing was there. But I AM registered with the ebook library software.
Did you try to transfer a DRM ePub to the Reader? It should prompt you to register the device with ADE at that moment, if memory doesn't fail me.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #10
rvdparis
Connoisseur

@Juliette: I did exactly that, and it worked like a charm. I first practiced with a free sample from Adobe, and I was asked to authorize. I then bought a DRM-ed book from Borders.com and it worked. No problems. Thanks, this forum is fantastic. R
Old 10-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
@Juliette: I did exactly that, and it worked like a charm. I first practiced with a free sample from Adobe, and I was asked to authorize. I then bought a DRM-ed book from Borders.com and it worked. No problems. Thanks, this forum is fantastic. R
You're welcome I'm glad it worked!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, lock, prs-600, registration