Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #16
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And here's a convenient device I found online that allows you to carry a small library with you wherever you go.

Attachment 161530

I remember carrying an extra duffle bag for books when I used to travel a lot 3 decades back.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Some of the thicker books have a pretty strong tendency to close. I can see that over time, holding the book open with only your thumb/hand centered in the fold, would build up such muscle strength that you'd look like a fiddler crab.
Ummm, no you would be very wrong on that theory. What you would actually end up with is Trigger Thumb requiring cortisone injections to relieve the swelling/pain that would happen in your thumb.

I unfortunately speak from experience, I'm waiting for a call to schedule an appt. for surgery on my right thumb. I have had 1 cortisone shot in both thumbs, but the right one has already failed after only 6 months. So the only way to "cure" it is to now go in and sever the swollen sheath that is keeping my extender from fully extending!

God Bless smart phones/ereaders/tablets.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Actually, this is a great book. Just shuffle the pages for a new plot, new developments, new entanglements, new ideas, and a new post-modern delight.
You can get the same effect with audiobooks if you set it to play with 'shuffle mode'.

Who, me? No of course I haven't accidentally done that! And if I did, I would notice my mistake immediately - not listen for half an hour puzzling over a story that didn't make any sense. .
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
You can get the same effect with audiobooks if you set it to play with 'shuffle mode'.

Who, me? No of course I haven't accidentally done that! And if I did, I would notice my mistake immediately - not listen for half an hour puzzling over a story that didn't make any sense. .

I've never tried that, but it certainly is an idea!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #20
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post

I actually used to use an Ipod shuffle for audiobooks. Came down from Audible in one file. However, the limit was an 8 hour audiobook. Longer ones, it would just give up the ghost.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I actually used to use an Ipod shuffle for audiobooks. Came down from Audible in one file. However, the limit was an 8 hour audiobook. Longer ones, it would just give up the ghost.

I still use my old Ipod Classic (80 gigs) for OTR and audio books.

It still works GREAT!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:04 AM   #22
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I got one of those as a gift several years ago. Tried it, but not my thing
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #23
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You can't even specify a color; how are you going to coordinate with the book jacket, much less your outfit?

And the walnut one, pfui! You might as well buy a cheap ereader from Woot.
Get a bunch of them for colour co-ordination.
Link to some wooden ones on etsy
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Drink the water with one hand and use this nifty gadget with your other hand
I hear to cure the hiccups, you have to drink from the far side of the cup.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #25
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
That one is to small for my library. I need one with larger file storage.

Not that this one also has file compaction built in. No need for an app.
Apache
That "WM" stands for "Write More"!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
That "WM" stands for "Write More"!

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #27
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Get a bunch of them for colour co-ordination.
Link to some wooden ones on etsy
Thing is, having been in choirs, chorales, and other vocal ensembles from elementary school, through college, the photo on the etsy page of the tool being used to hold open music as actually a really good idea. I'd never use it for an actual book, but for sheet music for a standing choir rehearsal...
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:00 AM   #28
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Looks like it would be really uncomfortable. For someone like me, with some arthritis in my hands and thumb joint, this would solve one problem and create another. My thumb joint hurts just thinking about it.
Nailed it! Thats why I switched to ereaders and my phone.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #29
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Nah, I will pass. Now if somebody has a device that can prevent Ruby Chewsday, my toy poodle from turning a dozen or more pages on my kindle when she jumps in my lap I will take one. Boy does she love to lick mt kindle, gross.
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #30
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Turns out they make a similar thing for e-readers...

I guess this is "do you have trouble holding your e-reader?" I will say, though, given that my cat likes to crawl all over me when I am reading, I understand the appeal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grip 1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	161992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grip 2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	161993  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote