Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
Airu
Airu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Frozen kobo aura - Help please

I'm a happy user of my kobo aura (1st gen) which I got second hand from for three month or so.

Yesterday I was transferring 20 or so epubs I downloaded online (7-22mb averaging around 12mb per file) into my kobo connected to the PC with USB while it was sleeping. Everything works. I was reading some of my other books (The newly sideloaded were displayed in the kobo, although I did not attempt to open them at any time after transfering) and I called it a night, I put it into sleep. And went to bed.

Next morning. As expected initially, it showed the sleeping, percentage read and book cover. However when I tried to wake it from sleep mode, it will never wake up. Its always stuck in sleeping. The screen looks fine without any lines or artifacts.

What I tried:
-Long press power button to ensure it off (over a minute) then switching it on. Sometimes..I can see the orange light from the power switch light up for a few seconds. I'm not sure if its the normal duration or not as I never really paid attention to said light.
-pinhole reset
-manual factory reset (There was again some light from the power button but it never blinked rapidly)
-Pressing the light button (No response)
-Connecting to the PC (PC can't detect it, even after trying to randomly press my kobo screen I hopes of getting it connected)
-Edit: Tried charging for 12 hours

All of the above, failed to trigger a change to the screen at all (pic attached). There was no trauma to it whatsoever at all.

What should I do senior ebook readers? There s no warranty anymore. Should I open it up? Is there a video how to (I searched but I didn't come up with any videos, please direct me if any? or if necessary at all?)

I really appreciate your time and effort into helping me. I just got my kobo. I did really hate to think it broke spontaneously.

Last edited by Airu; 01-13-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Airu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #2
Airu

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ATn...ew?usp=sharing
Advert
Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
First plug it into a wall charger for 24 hours.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 AM   #4
Airu

Oh I forgot to mention that. I tried charging for 7 hours but I will try 24 hours. Thank you. Will edit main post.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Airu

Update 12-14 hours of charging (including the previous 7). No changes. Power button light does come on but that's about it. I still cant get it to do manual factory reset. I followed the instructions but it never blinks quickly.
Advert
Old 01-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It don't think the screen is broken.

I think the device is not charging at all, try charging the device with different USB cables.

If it didn't work, the problem is with device USB conector.

Last edited by oren64; 01-15-2018 at 11:15 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
Airu

@Oren64 Said wall charger + cable works fine for other things so it may be a faulty USB port. If that's the case should I open it up to fiddle with the port or how should I proceed next?

Thank you so much again Oren64 & cinisajoy.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airu View Post
@Oren64 Said wall charger + cable works fine for other things so it may be a faulty USB port. If that's the case should I open it up to fiddle with the port or how should I proceed next?

Thank you so much again Oren64 & cinisajoy.
It isn't necessarily a faulty port. Being the queen of cables, some devices just don't like some cables.
It doesn't matter if the cable will charge the phone, the kindle, one tablet, the Kobo or Big Sam may not like that cable.
Question is it a usb cable plugged into a wall charger or an all in one wall charger?
If the latter, check the output.

Big Sam tends to get picky.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #9
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing you should try first is disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, it's a long shot.

The USB port is solder ‏to the electric board.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #10
Airu

I tried a multitude of different charger and cables and noticed something. When using my powerbank, it doesnt detect that its connected to a device even with different cables and hence is not sending any charge into the kono. This hints at a charging issue?
Old 01-13-2018, 11:44 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airu View Post
I tried a multitude of different charger and cables and noticed something. When using my powerbank, it doesnt detect that its connected to a device even with different cables and hence is not sending any charge into the kono. This hints at a charging issue?
No, it does not show a charging issue. It shows your device is pretty much drained. Power banks are not designed for heavy charging.
Do not use a power bank when your device is having problems.
Put it on a wall charger. Make sure the charger is designed for more than a flip phone.
Do not keep plugging and unplugging. Find a cable that works, then do not touch the device for at least 24 hours.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:42 AM   #12
Airu

Alright will dedicate a charger for it. Will get to you guys after 24 hours.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:33 AM   #13
Airu

Used my best wall charger and the cable which came with the kobo (tested both and it works for other things with no problem) and left it for 24 hours. No difference.

A thing I noted, the charger usually goes very warm but while charging this kobo it never did.

Any advice on how to proceed from here? If opening up is the next step (which I did but couldn't understand what I'm looking at, hence I closed it back), what should I be looking out for? Also by disconnecting/connecting the battery do you meant the red/black cables attached to a smaller white box or the grey battery pack itself to be removed from the board?

I will open it up and take a pic if needed.

Once again thank you for your kind patience and time
Old 01-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #14
oren64
I need a chapter break

Pull out the small white connector with the red and black cables.

By what you are describing the device is not charging.

Last edited by oren64; 01-15-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
Airu

Opened it up, de-connected and reconnected the battery and this time it seems like its picking up charge (At least according to my power bank with a visual indicator), going to leave it charging overnight to see how it goes with a wall charger. At least some progress! Hopefully that solves the issue? Will update again. Once again guys, thank you so much for bearing with me.